JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I don't like to shoot 38's in a 357 due to the powder ring and bullet jump, my go to target load is 7gr's HS-6 behind a 158 hard-cast SWC. If it were in a 38 case it would be a +P load. This load shoots very well in every 357 I've tried it in.

I use a lead removal cloth after I shoot with .38 and my 686 cleans up like new, its good for stainless guns, it's not recommended at all for blued guns. As far as accuracy, I don't have a scope attached to mine or anything but, I can shoot as nice a group with the .38 as I can with the .357 magnum rounds.

Like oremike I reload and use .357 magnum cases to avoid the ring of deposits. In my J-Frame my main load yields 990 fps with a 158 grain GDHP. I consider this a light .357 magnum load, or a heavy .38 Special +P, so maybe a .38 Special +P+ load. I also shoot .38 Special 158 grain SWC from which ever manufacturer in stock at the time, .357 magnum Short barrel loads from Speer and Buffalo Bore and I never notice any accuracy variation (other than I shoot lighter loads consistently more accurate than heavy loads).

I bought a police trade in Model 66. It was mint with the lightest hint of a cylinder turn line. I think it was the chiefs or never really issued. I couldn't see anything built up in the cylinder so I didn't think much of it. I went to shoot a cylinder full of magnums and I had to use a mallet to extract the cases. I even tried a stainless brush on a drill and it didn't touch it. It polished up and looked like part of the cylinder. The carbon ring in the cylinders had to be cut out with a reamer. Much better to load light 357 loads in 357 brass. I would never buy another 357 that had 38's shot through it. Accuracy with 38's is just fine. If I was determined to shoot 38" I would fit a 38 cylinder to it.

I only shoot .38s out of my Taurus 605 and it is incredibly accurate with them. 5 out of 5 clays at 25 yards is nearly routine. I haven't had a chance to do any 'real' accuracy trials with my new Blackhawk and .38s yet but it does not seem to be as accurate as it is with .357s - but I need to do some actual 'bench' shooting fora side by side comparison.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top