Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!
  2. We're giving away over $1,000 in prizes this month in the Northwest Firearms Winter Giveaway!
    Dismiss Notice

accuracy of the 5.45x39

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by biker bo, Dec 12, 2010.

1. biker bo

biker bo Myrtle Creek Active Member

I traded for an AR 15 in the 5.45x39 and was wondering how accurate it is at 100 yards

It has a dot sight with 1 MOA dot. Is it worth the money to put good 3x9 scope on it?

I have not fired it yet but plan to do so in the next few weeks.

Any info would be appreciated.

2. Swedish K

Swedish K SW Washington Moderator Staff Member

The most accurate full auto I ever shot was an AKSU74 - left hand side folder shorty - it was quite controllable and a joy to shoot - if I can recover the hard drive from my old computer I'll upload the video clip - 40 rounds of 5.45 x 39 in about 3.5 seconds - all rounds hitting a grain bucket about 250 yards out up a hill. call the target area about a 2.5' circle.

I don't know how it holds up to 5.56 at the range off a bench but its PLENTY accurate for a war zone.

3. biker bo

Thanks. I'm hoping to get 1 to 1.5 MOA off the bench. If that's a possibly with an AR platform then its worth adding a good scope.

Hope to see your video some day.

4. wsu 5.9er

wsu 5.9er Spanaway WA Member

With the Russian surplus ammo, it's about 2-3 MOA.

5. biker bo

Thanks. I don't think I'll waste the money to scope it if that's the best it will do.