JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am thinking about buying some pulled 50gr Brown tip frangible bullets so I can shoot my 223/5.56 rifles at the TCGC BP range. Has anybody here had experience reloading and shooting the 50gr Brown Tip bullets? Will they be accurate enough to hit the 200m silhouettes with regularity?

I went ahead and ordered a 1000ct batch. At 6.7 cents each it will be a relatively cheap experiment. Even if they only work out to 100m I will be happy, it will allow me to plink steel with a bunch more rifles.

The only frangible .223 I've ever shot was Winchester and it wouldn't all stay on a paper plate at 100 yds. Hopefully these are better.

Use code america to get 25% off. These brown tips came out to under $68 shipped.

I used this code to order some 9mm bullets and 4K small pistol primers. Hoping the primers are good to go. I checked the stock of .224 projectiles and decided I shouldn't order any more 😁

I used this code to order some 9mm bullets and 4K small pistol primers. Hoping the primers are good to go. I checked the stock of .224 projectiles and decided I shouldn't order any more 😁
Did the code work on primers?

Edit: tried it and it's not working on primers, that would have been sweet. They haven't provided a code on powder in a long while either.

Last Edited:
Let us know how the Servicios primers work out for you. The discussion would be worthy of it's own thread to share experiences with some of these foreign primers that have been available recently. I might start one today. Recent buyers should be getting their primers soon.

Let us know how the Servicios primers work out for you. The discussion would be worthy of it's own thread to share experiences with some of these foreign primers that have been available recently. I might start one today. Recent buyers should be getting their primers soon.
I'll gladly report to the thread. The code only worked for the projectiles, too bad.

I haven't loaded any of the Brown Tips. But I've used some of the Purple Tips, those were made for USN Mark 311 Mod 3 service ammunition. Also 50 gr. Overruns from Rocky Mountain Reloading. The Purple Tips were made by Federal under a US gov't. contract.

My experience with the jacketed frangibles was favorable, but I will hasten to add I wasn't shooting at anything like 200 meters. I don't use scopes on my AR's, I'm good for 100 yards.

Re. the internet opinion linked at post no. 2. They mention the profile of the bullet being similar to that of the 77 gr. SMK, therefore the charge may be expected to be similar. Not a fully embraceable assumption, I'd say, because the frangible is 27 gr. lighter in weight. In theory, you could increase your charge a bit, but the added length of the frangible will tend to reduce case capacity. I am comfortable with the charges used in that link, considering it is seat-of-the-pants reloading data. A target isn't going to know the difference between 2,800-something and 2,700-something.

Another frangible I've loaded in .223 Rem. is a non-jacketed 35 gr. SSR. That's "short range rifle" made by Inceptor. They worked well enough at 75 yards, no keyholes, no bullets came apart during AR cycling, etc. Reasonable accuracy.

The Brown Tips under discussion in this thread are an excellent value in today's market, in my opinion. I won't buy any, I've got too much stuff already.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top