JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I dont have a lot of experience with center fired long guns so maybe this a dumb question. I bought a Ruger American in the 270 Win.

I purchased many different boxes of ammo to find what it likes. The accuracy was very lackluster with all the least expensive ammo (most soft points),130-140 grain bullets. Found it really liked 130 gr barnes TTSX and Hornady 120 gr ultra-lite (both ballistic tip). I would like to try to find more options that will produce acceptable accuracy. Am I wrong to assume a more expensive soft point will produce better results then the less expensive SP's or should I stay with Ballisitic tip ammo? I hate to keep buying ammo that doesnt work out especially the more expensive rounds so thats why I ask.

Also I have been reloading pistol rounds for a bit now and will start reloading for this gun, does anyone have some favorite recipes or even preferred powder for this round ( I know not all guns act the same but figured it would give me a starting point to try).

Many of the "cheap" softpoints are very accurate, but each gun varies. I was going to pose a theory about the two that your gun shot well having to do with the length of the bullet because Barnes are usually pretty long for their weight, but the Hornady probably isn't very long and messes up that thought! Maybe it has to do with velocity...
I don't have any 270 loading tips, but once you start doing that you'll have more options.

I also was pretty unimpressed with factory ammo in my Marlin XL .270 Win. In other chamberings (243 Win, .338 Federal), we have had good results with Federal blue box and Fusion ammo. In the .270 Win., not so much.
As for reloading the .270 Win., probably the most popular powders are H4831, Reloder 22, and either H or IMR4350. Others work too, like IMR4831, Accurate 4350, Reloder 19, and H414/W760. My current load for my Marlin uses the Nosler 130 gr. Ballistic Tip with 53.0 gr of Reloder 17 and a RP 9 1/2 Primer. Not a max load but good for around 2900 fps and very accurate.
These days, you have to take what you can find, powder wise, and the .270 Win is nice in that it can be loaded effectively with powders ranging from IMR-8208XBR thru Accurate Magpro, from fast midrange burning rate up thru fairly slow ones. Some people also report improve accuracy using magnum primers. Good Luck.

Describe lack luster. 1.5 inch three shot groups are very acceptable by gun and ammo manufactures. If you are getting that you are getting acceptable hunting accuracy.

Inexpensive Remington Core Lokt ammo is some of the most accurate factory ammo I've ever tried. It uses a simple construction soft point bullet. Cheap bullets are cheap because they are easy to produce. Easy to produce bullets are often the most accurate because it is easy to get them perfectly balanced. Match grade bullets are about as simple is it gets to make yet are usually the most accurate. Nosler Partitions have a reputation as not being as accurate, and I'm sure that is because it is a more complicated design and harder to make them perfect.

Every .270 Win I've loaded for would always find some charge of H4831 or H4831sc that would shoot good. I've only had to try Sierra Game Kings and Nosler Ballistic tips in each to find loads that would shoot in the 3/4 inch range. With the 270 Win, the hottest recommended load is usually the most accurate too, which is cool. Why have a caliber like a 270 Win unless you are getting top velocity!

If you check the freebore of your new rifle, you will probably find that it has a really long throat. Most .270s I have checked in the last few years do.
When that is the case, I have found that I have better success with longer bullets.
In lead, that means 150gr and in all copper, that means 130-140gr.

Also, as long as they'll fit in the mag, and feed well, don't hesitate to push the bullet out to COALs beyond book specs.
There is/are significant gains to be realized when you can custom tailor a load to a gun with a lot of freebore.

Bryan Litz of Berger bullets explains it here:
http://www.bergerbullets.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/COAL.pdf

Describe lack luster. 1.5 inch three shot groups are very acceptable by gun and ammo manufactures. If you are getting that you are getting acceptable hunting accuracy.

Inexpensive Remington Core Lokt ammo is some of the most accurate factory ammo I've ever tried. It uses a simple construction soft point bullet. Cheap bullets are cheap because they are easy to produce. Easy to produce bullets are often the most accurate because it is easy to get them perfectly balanced. Match grade bullets are about as simple is it gets to make yet are usually the most accurate. Nosler Partitions have a reputation as not being as accurate, and I'm sure that is because it is a more complicated design and harder to make them perfect.

Every .270 Win I've loaded for would always find some charge of H4831 or H4831sc that would shoot good. I've only had to try Sierra Game Kings and Nosler Ballistic tips in each to find loads that would shoot in the 3/4 inch range. With the 270 Win, the hottest recommended load is usually the most accurate too, which is cool. Why have a caliber like a 270 Win unless you are getting top velocity!
FWIW, Otter's experience with .270 loads is pretty much what I have found too.
My last .270 would shoot 130gr CoreLokts into 3/4" groups all day long.
And if you have a .270 that won't shoot an H4831 propelled bullet, you have a rare gun. H4831 and the .270 go together like bacon and eggs.

I shoot cheap 270. Wal-Mart Rem and Win ammo in my Savage that I paid $10-14 a BX for.
I normally shoot sub MOA groups @ 250 yards from a rest through my cheap Savage.
If your "Groups" look like a shotgun pattern I would first suspect the shooter's skill level and next the rifle, check the muzzle for nicks, check for loose screws in the mounts and rifle action.

Thanks for the responses. Going off what Orygun said I decide to measure the 7 different rounds I have used. I find the most accurate Barnes TTSX (130 gr) 3.2080 COAL, it is more accurate then I am. My brother who is a better shot then I am got a 5 group shot all touching and if I could find this ammo anywhere I may not have started this thread. Hornady custom lite (120 gr) were next most accurate but much shorter at 3.0940 COAL. Producing about 1.25-1.5" group.
The rest ranged from 3.1585-3.295 COAL all are 130 gr except 1 which was 150 gr All was shot by myself and my Brother so I know its not shooter error.
And Im not sure of exact groupings in inches but it was in the 2-4" range at 100 yards. with 3 minutes in between shots for all ammo.
I think the one less expensive round I have not tried is the coreloc so maybe its worth a try since a few have had some success with those.
Thanks for reloading data :) I need to get out and buy a case trimmer I guess and hope I can find some primers and powder.

Do guns change what they best shoot the after they are broken in? This gun maybe has 50 rounds through it so thats why I ask.

Jaime 6.5 thanks for the link it has some good info in there I will bookmark and reread a few more times

Last Edited:
For what it's worth, I used to shoot Remington 130gr (green/yellow box) in my Win model 70 featherweight and about the best it would get was minute of pie plate at 100yds. Switched over to Federal premium 130gr in the gold box and shrunk my groups down to 1". Don't know which of the new boxes it is cause I haven't bought any in about 7-8 years.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads