JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a Sig GSR 1911 in 45acp. Factory unthreaded barrel is very very accurate. Picked up a Nighthawk threaded barrel in trade and had a local smith fit the barrel to my gun. Problem is the accuracy with the threaded barrel without the can is noticeably worse, and with the boostered Liberty Cosmic, it is just unacceptable, grouping low and scattered. The baffles are not being clipped. Do you guys think it's just a bad barrel or possibly the fitting? Anyone had a similar experience?

What a pain!
Low as in how much lower?
Does the same loss of accuracy (gross shift in POI) occur with different ammo?
You do have a different gun, for all intents and purposes, despite the perception otherwise.
I'm not familiar with the Granite series, barrel or can, and cannot offer any experiential knowledge.
Occam's Razor would lead one to ask, "what changed" and whether it's the barrel or the smith, but I would say first just look at the harmonics and physics of the system first.
I reload for my pistols, but never really attempted to tune my loads, just going with published data that had satisfying results. A while ago, as I was running out of titegroup, tried many different powders and small grain variations among them. What astounded me was how different powders behaved, giving wildly different results on paper at 25 yards (TCGC Pistol range, 1st berm).

I have 6k rounds through a factory threaded Sig TacOps 1911 in 45acp, and it still shoots very accurately with, or without a suppressor. I'm going to guess it's the fitting job if the barrel as nighthawk is known for quality parts.

I have a Sig GSR 1911 in 45acp. Factory unthreaded barrel is very very accurate. Picked up a Nighthawk threaded barrel in trade and had a local smith fit the barrel to my gun. Problem is the accuracy with the threaded barrel without the can is noticeably worse,
You found the problem right there. The new barrel with no can, gives poor accuracy. Barrel was not fitted well, is just not made well, maybe both. You would need to either live with it or have more work done here or even try another barrel.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top