JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
It's not legal to have rounds in your rifle while in a vehicle in Oregon either.

mind citing the ORS? i've found absolutely nothing in the ORS that prohibits loaded rifles in a vehicle- and always have a loaded/chambered carbine in the truck with me, hunting or not.

i've also never had it made an issue during any of the 5 or 6 traffic stops where i've pointed the weapon out to the officer- to my surprise (legal or not).

I do some coyote hunting, and currently us an AR-15. We often drive 2 miles or so in between calling spots and always remove magazines and clear chambers befor entering vehicles. My question may sound stupid but do we need to also unload magazines to be legal???

I do some coyote hunting, and currently us an AR-15. We often drive 2 miles or so in between calling spots and always remove magazines and clear chambers befor entering vehicles. My question may sound stupid but do we need to also unload magazines to be legal???

No.In washington they do need to be separated though.The gun in the front and the ammo in the back.Or vice versa.

I keep them separate until I get on the real small dirt roads.
A friend was stopped and had to show where he had everything to a game warden,so I don't take chances there.
I like my gun rights the way they are.

Mythbusters. The SKS. Only one I have ever heard of. My buddy was telling me he had his SKS go off while he was adjusting his sight with a rock (idk, good guy tho) made him deaf for a week and damn near ruined his underwear. Oh yeah and x2 on the dateline 700 thing.

No.In washington they do need to be separated though.The gun in the front and the ammo in the back.Or vice versa.

I keep them separate until I get on the real small dirt roads.
A friend was stopped and had to show where he had everything to a game warden,so I don't take chances there.
I like my gun rights the way they are.

Thanks for the info, we usually use a Side x Side while coyote hunting. In Oregon its not allowed to have any gun loaded while operating an ATV, doesn't matter if you have a CHL or not. For my pistol I leave it in the holster and the magazine in my pocket. Does anyone know if this is in violation? I would really hate to find out the hard way.

BTW, I am in Oregon and do have a CHL.

mind citing the ORS? i've found absolutely nothing in the ORS that prohibits loaded rifles in a vehicle- and always have a loaded/chambered carbine in the truck with me, hunting or not.

i've also never had it made an issue during any of the 5 or 6 traffic stops where i've pointed the weapon out to the officer- to my surprise (legal or not).

Ya know, the only source I've got on hand is the 2010 Oregon Big Game Regs, and there isn't anything about that in there. Did find one about a loaded firearm when traveling on a snowmobile or and ATV but it didn't quote the statute. Maybe the laws have changed...
I'd surely think that if it was a hunting reg I'd find it there.
Found 498.056 Aiming rifle from moving motor vehicle prohibited. No person who is the occupant of a motor vehicle that is moving on a road open to the public shall aim a rifle or other firearm from the motor vehicle at a time when the hunting of wildlife is lawful. [1993 c.440 §4]

and 498.136 Hunting from motor-propelled vehicle restricted; rules. (1) Except as provided in subsection (2) of this section, a person may not hunt wildlife from a motor-propelled vehicle.

Just cuz it's not illegal doesn't mean it's the right thing to do.

Ya know, the only source I've got on hand is the 2010 Oregon Big Game Regs, and there isn't anything about that in there. Did find one about a loaded firearm when traveling on a snowmobile or and ATV but it didn't quote the statute. Maybe the laws have changed...
I'd surely think that if it was a hunting reg I'd find it there.
Found 498.056 Aiming rifle from moving motor vehicle prohibited. No person who is the occupant of a motor vehicle that is moving on a road open to the public shall aim a rifle or other firearm from the motor vehicle at a time when the hunting of wildlife is lawful. [1993 c.440 §4]

and 498.136 Hunting from motor-propelled vehicle restricted; rules. (1) Except as provided in subsection (2) of this section, a person may not hunt wildlife from a motor-propelled vehicle.

Just cuz it's not illegal doesn't mean it's the right thing to do.

unless the person is legally disabled the can hunt from a roadway and from there vehicle!

Thank you to all the guys that gave advise on what to do about the gun! I have never had this happen to me or even heard about a similar thing happening to anyone else. By the way I do work closely woth the DA and many law enforcemnt officers and i do know the law and our guns we unload we just didnt thinkto check hers.

PS- THE BOYS IN THE HOOD CLIPS WAS FUNNY AS .....

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top