JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I was out elk hunting this year over near John Day oregon. We spotted a heard of 40 or 50 elk about a 1 mile away from us. We decided to hop into my buddies truck so we could get closer. We placed all our rifles in the truck and took off. My buddies girlfriend was hunting with us and placed her gun in the back between the seats. She did not unload her gun(by the way she is a very safe and experienced hunter) Anyways we hit a slick spot and this stupid smart a.. toyota cut power to the truck like it is supposed to and we rolled 2 and a half times. When the truck came to a stop we all smelled that awesome smell of gun powder. Her gun had gone off and the safety was on, while the truck was rolling. I CHECKED THE SAETY AND IT WAS ON! The gun is a Ruger M77 270 and is a factory unaltered gun. I told u all this story to ask a question, has any ever heard of a gun firing when the safety is on?

PS[ i know i know why did she have a bullet in the chamber? We all ahve rode hunted so dont judge!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Buller hole in the bottom of the truck ans a spent casin still in the bolt

Sounds like evidence to me! Glad nobody was hurt. Anyways, to your question, I have only heard of the Remington 700 doing this on that dateline special or whatever. I would however take the gun to a gunsmith and have it looked at and definitely call the manufacturer and let them know about this instance as well. I assume that maybe the safety only disengages the trigger from being pulled and perhaps the inertia from the truck rolling allowed the firing pin to move forward. In any case, definitely find the root of the problem before using the gun. My $.02.

Buller hole in the bottom of the truck ans a spent casin still in the bolt

10746__icecube_l.jpg

10746__icecube_l.jpg

Get it checked.

Years ago we had a rifle (not mine) discharge in a vehicle and it was policy even at that time that nobody ever had one chambered regardless of safety or not. Some of my buddies even go so far as to inspect the chambers prior to vehicle entry and leaving the bolts open.

I just make sure everyone unloads and closes the bolts with the triggers depressed. Always afraid that an open bolt can cycle against somebody's leg or rattling closed when were traveling. Never have had an incident since and plan to keep it that way.

Glad nobody was killed. That is truly scary as **** stuff.

Most states have a legal requirement that guns be unloaded in a vehicle while hunting. I don't hunt in Oregon so I can't state the legal requirement. In WA state it is illegal to have a loaded rifle in or on a vehicle while moving.

Most rifles do not have redundant safeties like many pistols do. Some rifles can be dropped and discharged, even with safeties on. The buddies girlfriend may be a "safe and experienced" hunter but having a loaded gun in a truck or other vehicle is upping the chance of having an unintentional discharge and a very bad practice.

Road hunting does not mean having a loaded gun the truck. I wouldn't do it even if it was legal. Keep the gun unloaded. Put a round in your pocket so it's handy. Buy a gun with a detachable magazine that you can quickly load once you exit the truck. Sheesh.

Now you know. Go do better. I'm glad no one got shot.

So I was out elk hunting this year over near John Day oregon. We spotted a heard of 40 or 50 elk about a 1 mile away from us. We decided to hop into my buddies truck so we could get closer. We placed all our rifles in the truck and took off. My buddies girlfriend was hunting with us and placed her gun in the back between the seats. She did not unload her gun(by the way she is a very safe and experienced hunter) Anyways we hit a slick spot and this stupid smart a.. toyota cut power to the truck like it is supposed to and we rolled 2 and a half times. When the truck came to a stop we all smelled that awesome smell of gun powder. Her gun had gone off and the safety was on, while the truck was rolling. I CHECKED THE SAETY AND IT WAS ON! The gun is a Ruger M77 270 and is a factory unaltered gun. I told u all this story to ask a question, has any ever heard of a gun firing when the safety is on?

PS[ i know i know why did she have a bullet in the chamber? We all ahve rode hunted so dont judge!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When I hunt with anyone or by myself - we ALWAYS unload our rifles before getting into the rig- I mean everyone - you must have an open bolt or action-
no loaded actions..

anything less is asking for trouble or worse !

1st safety tip.... SLOW DOWN.

Well, I have road hunted, which is exactly why I know how dangerous it can be to throw a chambered rifle in the truck and then go speeding off....
It's easy to blame the rifle, but it's not the rifles fault. It was left in an unsafe condition and then tumbled in a truck like brass through a polisher. What happened was a direct result of carelessness on the part of the driver and the girl.
Take care, and things like this are less likely to happen.

So I was out elk hunting this year over near John Day oregon. We spotted a heard of 40 or 50 elk about a 1 mile away from us. We decided to hop into my buddies truck so we could get closer. We placed all our rifles in the truck and took off. My buddies girlfriend was hunting with us and placed her gun in the back between the seats. She did not unload her gun(by the way she is a very safe and experienced hunter)

Wrong!

Anyways we hit a slick spot and this stupid smart a.. toyota cut power to the truck like it is supposed to and we rolled 2 and a half times. When the truck came to a stop we all smelled that awesome smell of gun powder. Her gun had gone off and the safety was on, while the truck was rolling. I CHECKED THE SAETY AND IT WAS ON! The gun is a Ruger M77 270 and is a factory unaltered gun. I told u all this story to ask a question, has any ever heard of a gun firing when the safety is on?

Wrong! I haven't.

Not saying I'm perfect because I've had my neanderthal moments but I just can't give you a free pass on scrutiny.

Only an idiot road hunts with someone who doesn't unload their gun.
There is no such thing as accidental discharge.

Man I hope I am never in the same wood as you fools.

Inform manufacturer, have rifle checked... Remember who's rifle didn't go off... they are safe to go hunting with again.

Most states have a legal requirement that guns be unloaded in a vehicle while hunting. I don't hunt in Oregon so I can't state the legal requirement. In WA state it is illegal to have a loaded rifle in or on a vehicle while moving.

It's not legal to have rounds in your rifle while in a vehicle in Oregon either. I'll be honest and state that I do not always remove the rounds from my rifle's magazine while traveling. BUT (and that's big letters for a reason) I always double check to be sure there is not a round in the chamber my gun. Then I question everyone getting into the same truck to be sure they cleared their weapons.

It's easy to be an "armchair quarterback", and we all have a tendency to learn from our mistakes, so don't take my "rules" as being judgmental. I'm glad that no one was hurt (or so it appears) and hope you all learn from this.

By the way, it wouldn't hurt to have that rifle checked out.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top