JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Some good and some bad information on this thread. For the record, I've been studying this issue for a long time and I've been providing the training you would need for a concealed pistol license for several years as an NRA certified trainer, UT BCI concealed Firearms Instructor and use of force under other programs as well..

First- go to the source. ORS 166 is available online (as pointed out above) and is also available as an iTunes app to download for free. The language of it is as "plain language" as the law ever gets, so an average person, of average intelligence and average reading skills should be able to get most everything necessary out of it with a little effort and can ask questions on the remainder. RCW 9.41 is also available online.

A firearm carried in a belt holster is not legally considered to be a threatening move absent other circumstances. There's no lawful duty to conceal in Oregon or Washington.

Contrary to above, there IS a very good reason to pull a firearm that you are not 100% sure you're going to fire: it is to be ready to fire should it become necessary to do so quickly. An attacker can cover an amazing amount of distance in an instant. Google Tuellar drills for examples. This needs to be a criteria you decide on and understand the principles of in advance of a situation. Self defense is a defense to assault in this case. You had better be ready to explain it in terms of force escalation and de-escalation. The model penal code has some verbiage around that, and the Utah legislation is closer to that than Oregon's is, but similar. Being ready is not the same as "threatening in order to discourage." Be sure you understand the difference and train yourself to use the correct strategy. I can't give you every scenario where you would or would not pull a firearm and then refrain from firing, but there definitely are some where each is appropriate. Scenarios are only useful to the point that you use them to explore and understand principles.

Likewise, using the verbiage "to stop the threat" vs "to kill the threat" is not mere sophistry and pc terminology. We all need to absorb and deeply imprint the concept that it DOES NOT MATTER whether the attacker is killed. Whether or not the attacker is killed is completely irrelevant to the point of self-defense. We're stopping the threat in order to prevent serious bodily injury or death to ourselves or another innocent party. If the attacker is injured to the point of being unable to press the attack, or discouraged from continuing the attack: that's plenty good enough. Note, I am NOT advocating that you do less than your best effort against the attacker or that you "shoot to wound". The most effective means of stopping the attack is two rounds to center of mass, assess and try for a head shot if that doesn't work. The most effective means to stop the attacker is highly likely to result in death, but even more likely to stop the threat.

I can say not only that pulling the firearm and firing it (a "warning shot" is a use of deadly force: one I don't recommend) is only justified in a situation where there is a credible, immediate threat of serious bodily injury or death, but also ANY action that results in serious bodily injury or death of the innocent being averted is justified. So running down an attacker with a car (if it's the only option available) or hitting them with an object, or stabbing them with a kitchen knife... all justified in the face of immediate credible threat of serious bodily injury or death. The point of the exercise is to stop the threat. Not to harm, shoot, kill, or cow the attacker. Stop the threat.

A note on firing warning shots. The entirety of your defense in claiming self defense will hinge on the necessity of the action taken in relation to stopping an immediate threat of serious bodily injury or death, not the type of action itself. It is very believable that a threat could be deterred by firing a warning shot- in fact this is often given out as advice against a grizzly bear- shoot to make a noise to scare the bear off before trying to shoot the bear with a pistol round that may only enrage it. However, it's a potential angle for a prosecutor to claim that you were not in fact in immediate danger, or to challenge your state of mind by saying that you didn't actually fear for your life but were in fact acting aggressively in attempting to intimidate or inflict fear or even that you simply missed the "victim". You'd better have a VERY clear line of explanation if you intend to use this to defend yourself. I can't personally recommend this strategy.

Last Edited:
very good post Bastidge. All very true. If I may add a point or two,
When the police show up after a shooting, their primary goal is to arrest somebody, do not doubt that in any way. Don't say any more than immediately required and choose your words carefully. If they begin to aggressively question you do not try and defend your actions, shut up. If they press you, ask for a lawyer. That should stop them.

Remember, most people in prison, innocent or guilty, put themselves there with their own statements.

Thanks for the post. I can't see that it does not reconcile with my feelings. In my mind drawing to be ready to shoot and drawing to shoot are the same thing. You have made the decision and drawn the weapon with the intent of stopping the threat (the intent to shoot)

That was my feeling, that you don't draw for any other reason than you intend to fire, whether you fire or not.

If the situation changes and you choose not to fire it really had no baring on your reasoning to draw. My words and description may not be clear but I think my intent is the same as your description.

There are numerous first hand reports of imminent assaults and strong-armed robberies being immediately discouraged by the sight of a drawn weapon held close to the leg and pointed at the ground. Yes, your mind is made up that if push comes to shove you will fire. But if the potential perp turns and runs, that's also "ending the threat".

I am actually pretty interested in this thread / topic as I do carry in Oregon and also have literally never been in a fight in my life.

Knowing there are crazy people out there that might enjoy beating someone to death, I'm not going to rely on my [complete lack of] fighting skills to defend myself if backed into a corner by someone, even if its fists only...at that point they WILL see my gun (whether I use it or not at that point is up to them).

I'm fairly certain in that situation I would have a legal problem at that point? From what I've read, menacing? If I end up having to use it though?

Not that i ever plan on putting myself in that situation though, I don't go out to clubs/bars etc at all (unless its an occasion with friends, but even then, maybe 1-2 times per year max).

Just curious how legally screwed I would be in said situations?

A few pointers from a former bouncer (me):

1) in most cases, people who want to engage in conventional fisticuffs are usually drunk - if you are not drunk you have inherent advantages in terms of speed and power they don't. Use this to your advantage, one of my favorites is stand on their foot, and push. Corrolary: don't also be drunk.

2) Stupid people, when threatened with a weapon like to engage in this macho "what are you going to do, shoot me?" crap. This is why if they just tried to rob you, have a knife, a weapon, have you in a dark alley with a 10:1 advantage... you should shoot them with zero hesitation, in fact you should shoot all of them. This is one of those reasons I do not recommend pulling your gun out until you are going to use it.

3) Other weapons are important, IMHO, clubs are more effective than pretty much everything else, and can be used to put distance between you and a would-be assailant.

4) NEVER EVER EVER Punch people, especially in the face or head. Usually if you are hitting with a closed fist on a hard object like a head, it's a good way to: cut yourself on their teeth (this can lead to blood born pathogens), break knuckles (makes your hand swell and be useless), and it's also not really effective in stopping them.

5) Use the environment to your advantage, if there's only one of you and you won't be able to shoot them, back yourself into a corner as at least no one can attack you from behind. It also means no more than 1-2 of them will be able to attack you at a time.

6) If need be, strike downwards with your heel onto the top of their feet (right where the ankle meets) do it hard enough and you will smash most of the bones in the feet. Makes getting away easier.

A few pointers from a former bouncer (me):

1) in most cases, people who want to engage in conventional fisticuffs are usually drunk - if you are not drunk you have inherent advantages in terms of speed and power they don't. Use this to your advantage, one of my favorites is stand on their foot, and push. Corrolary: don't also be drunk.

2) Stupid people, when threatened with a weapon like to engage in this macho "what are you going to do, shoot me?" crap. This is why if they just tried to rob you, have a knife, a weapon, have you in a dark alley with a 10:1 advantage... you should shoot them with zero hesitation, in fact you should shoot all of them. This is one of those reasons I do not recommend pulling your gun out until you are going to use it.

3) Other weapons are important, IMHO, clubs are more effective than pretty much everything else, and can be used to put distance between you and a would-be assailant.

4) NEVER EVER EVER Punch people, especially in the face or head. Usually if you are hitting with a closed fist on a hard object like a head, it's a good way to: cut yourself on their teeth (this can lead to blood born pathogens), break knuckles (makes your hand swell and be useless), and it's also not really effective in stopping them.

5) Use the environment to your advantage, if there's only one of you and you won't be able to shoot them, back yourself into a corner as at least no one can attack you from behind. It also means no more than 1-2 of them will be able to attack you at a time.

6) If need be, strike downwards with your heel onto the top of their feet (right where the ankle meets) do it hard enough and you will smash most of the bones in the feet. Makes getting away easier.

AMPtoducts, thanks for the reply, however once again...never been in a fight in my life. As such, I cannot rely on my skills to fight and "hope" I come out OK...if someone pushes me to the point where I HAVE TO defend myself (no where to go etc) I'm going to draw and if needed, shoot.

Michael Brown, for example.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads