JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Safety or not ( many of my guns do not have a true mechanical safety ) muzzle discipline and finger off the trigger always should be at the head of the list of firearm safety.

As for me ... I will unload , unprime or uncap if the trail looks to be too dangerous.
No chance shot at game is worth my hunting partners life.
Andy

100% agree with this Andy.

Far too many folks seem to think the presence of a safety on a gun somehow absolves them from using proper muzzle and trigger discipline. It's almost like thinking of using a seat belt as a reason to drive like an idiot - the seat belt won't save you from stupid decisions. If people followed the very simple rules of never pointing a gun at someone/something they don't intend to shoot AND treated every gun as if it were loaded (meaning loaded and ready to fire), many of these incidents wouldn't happen.

I don't know if Remington is liable in some way because I don't know the whole story. But it seems to me some poor choices were made when it was decided that carrying a loaded/chambered gun on a slippery and dangerous trail was a good idea. If Remington is somehow liable, it shouldn't absolve the father from a share of the responsibility for this incident. Unfortunately bad choices lead to sometimes sad and devastating results. It strikes me as odd how many folks don't see that.

I am reminded of an incident a while back where I was helping someone learn to shoot. I was working on a grip on a revolver with them and the gun was pointed toward the ground, away from both of us. I was instructing how to adjust their grip and as I was addressing one issue, he misunderstood and had put his finger on the trigger, which I didn't catch as I was looking at him at that moment, explaining what to do - when all of a sudden bang!, a shot fired into the dirt a few feet in front of us. I had not caught his finger moving onto and pulling the trigger - which he had done believing he was following my instruction. Miscommunication and my lapse on what his trigger finger was doing led to that shot being fired. Thankfully, because we strictly followed the muzzle safety rule, no one was hurt. But it made an impression on both of us. Being safe requires undivided attention to a variety of factors - compromise on any of them and something could go very wrong. Things ended up okay that day and we both learned something in the process - that muzzle discipline can save a life, and that distraction can take one. In this case, following one of the rules saved us from a potential disaster when another rule (finger off the trigger until ready to shoot) wasn't followed.

Could this happen the way it was described? None of us were there, so unknown is the answer. Is it more likely safety was off? Is it likely a finger (or something else) engaged the trigger? They don't want me on the jury...
As always, anything it possible, but Occam's Razor explains most questions.

I don't believe in lawsuits of this sort, particularly the "get rich quick" aspects.

{Alberti is seeking damages for "medically related expenses, mental and physical pain and suffering; impaired earning capacity, permanent impairment and disability, disfigurement; and other general and specific damages in an amount to be determined by a jury at trial of this action,"}

The kid's 11 years old and will live with these injuries for ~80-plus years.

The father is leaving the actual dollar amount to the jury.

How is that a "get rich quick" scheme?

I had an 870 discharge with no intent of doing so. It also had troulble putting the last shell into the chamber many times. 1980"s. Wasn't a cheap version either. I am a gun nut. But this particular gun would function ok until it didn't. Believe it or not. Not here to argue or bash anyone.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top