JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
All judgement of the guys safety practices aside, a gun with the safety engaged shouldn't fire. A gun should not fire without pulling the trigger. Seems to me a gun, with the safety engaged and without pulling the trigger should not fire no matter what. I mean c'mon, if people can build a spaceship that lands on the moon then they should be able to produce a gun that doesn't fire with the safety engaged and no pull of the trigger.
Kind of makes you wonder if a finger was involved, right?

All judgement of the guys safety practices aside, a gun with the safety engaged shouldn't fire. A gun should not fire without pulling the trigger. Seems to me a gun, with the safety engaged and without pulling the trigger should not fire no matter what. I mean c'mon, if people can build a spaceship that lands on the moon then they should be able to produce a gun that doesn't fire with the safety engaged and no pull of the trigger.
Sure,sure....BUT..!!!!
A gun that is never pointed in the direction of anyone,especially your own kin, can never injure anyone.
I won't never mind his poor safety tactics cause that's what really got his son shot.
Know your firearm make sure it's safe before you go out with it AND YOUR SON
But that's just me.
I have absolutely no skin in the game ,especially for Remington . Just get tired of folks blaming someone else for their negligence

Firearms safety expert eh? Carrying a loaded gun down an icy trail by the forearm/handguard, down near his leg and pointing forward... when his slips and falls, somehow the shotgun winds up near his ear pointing to the rear and discharges. Would this happen to a reasonable person? I can't figure carrying loaded in unsafe conditions, not ridding myself of the gun in a safe direction or carrying it down with me in a safe direction.

This is like leaning a loaded gun against a fence or fencepost while you climb over... most states have laws against that for a good reason.

Safety or not ( many of my guns do not have a true mechanical safety ) muzzle discipline and finger off the trigger always should be at the head of the list of firearm safety.

As for me ... I will unload , unprime or uncap if the trail looks to be too dangerous.
No chance shot at game is worth my hunting partners life.
Andy

When I was a kid hunting ducks on the Maple river back in central Michigans flooded wheat fields I had a problem with my 870's trigger being defective. I was simply setting down on a berm and as kids normally due got bored. I knew my safety was on 100% but being a kid pulled the trigger with safety on and it went off. The gun was resting on the ground and pointing straight up. We were setting on the ground so the muzzle was above our heads. Still plenty loud. My dad asked me what I was doing and I explained. My dad repeated it in short the safety was worn. Yes I should have kept my finger off the trigger until I was ready to shoot something. My dad traded shotguns with me for the rest of the outing. You never know if the last time you used that safety was the last time it worked and at that point it all comes down to proper handling which is the best safety there is.

Said the gun was dropped.. seems some you boys missin that part
I don't ever remembering dropping a long gun in such a fashion that it could shoot someone walking behind me. I have been using guns for over four decades. Even so he was respossible for what happened with that firearm he was carrying it.

The way I read it he was carrying the firearm pointed away from himself and his son. He slipped, as he fell the gun flipped out of his grasp hit the ground and discharged. To me this is an accident that shouldn't have happened, plain and simple. It could have been prevented by making sure a round was not chambered while hiking. But, I do think that firearms should not go off with the safety engaged and the no pull of the trigger. The only way I see Remington having any liability is if they sold a product that, due to manufacturer error, was able to fire with no trigger pull and the safety engaged. Same as a tire company should be held accountable if they sell tires that explode under regular use at high speed or a car company that sells airbags that kill the drivers with shrapnel instead of functioning correctly.

Yeah that could be ,hobo ,but who's to say what set the trigger off when he fell? Maybe something hit the safety?
How would he know if he had the gun pointed in a safe direction and it somehow spun around and was pointing at his son?
If what you are saying HE said is true,how could the court find Remington liable?
Way too many variables here.
And if the hike looked spicy he maybe should have unloaded.
**No,I will not take any responsibility away from the dad**

Hmmm, I thought Remington already admitted there have been trigger problems with some of the 870's. The manufacturer acknowledges a problem with them, makes me wonder if there were not also problems with the youth models.
Remington had problems with the model 700 rifle year's ago and let it slide they had a few death's related to the gun firing when you took it off safe

Yeah that could be ,hobo ,but who's to say what set the trigger off when he fell? Maybe something hit the safety?
How would he know if he had the gun pointed in a safe direction and it somehow spun around and was pointing at his son?
If what you are saying HE said is true,how could the court find Remington liable?
Way too many variables here.
And if the hike looked spicy he maybe should have unloaded.
**No,I will not take any responsibility away from the dad**

I don't have a Remington shotgun but doesn't it a trigger safety as to opposed to the Mossberg ones with their tang safety. Did the safety disengage when it flipped out of his hands?

The 870 has been in continuous manufacture for over 60 years with somewhere around 10 million produced for both the hunting market and military. It has probably been carried more and dropped more times than any firearm in modern manufacture without attracting any attention from unexpected discharges. There just ain't a problem with the basic design. It is possible there was a manufacturing defect in a newly made gun that caused a problem but that isn't mentioned in the article. If that's the case it should be pretty evident on inspection. Given the gyrations the gun seems to have gone thru to end up pointing backwards toward the boy when it hit the ground, I'm inclined to believe the discharge was the result of loss of control of the gun and not a firearm defect.

...that is if they actually DID build a space ship that landed on the moon...

Sounds kinda like dad carrying a loaded gun probley finger on the trigger fell on his A$$ and shot his son I have a 870 that has been dropped on the ground dropped in a duck pond washed off with a bottle of water and never had a problem with it rain mud ice and sunshine kept working

Said the gun was dropped.. seems some you boys missin that part
Oh yeah I remember a big lawsuit and murder investigation I believe it was in Utah same thing wife said she dropped a glock pistol and shot her husband but when the prosecutor took the glock pistol rack the slide in the Court room and threw it on the ground and then picked it up and did it again but guess what the gun didn't fire 25 to life b!+@#

Thanks for the correction EPS ... fixed my original post. :D

Truth be told however ... I rarely use a mechanical safety.
I keep my finger of the trigger and watch where my muzzle is pointing.
If when hunting or on the line and the terrain / conditions are dangerous I will unload , unprime or uncap.
A chance shot at game or a target is not worth my shooting partners life.
Andy

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads