JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I apologize in advance if this is not the place for asking this question, but I couldn't tell if there was a better place to do it.

I'm interested in getting access to private property to bow hunt this season. I'd like to hunt for both black tail deer and elk, but would do only one of these if preferred. I'd be willing to either pay for access (have never done this, so I don't know what's reasonable) or do work on the property to be granted access. I'm very respectful of others' property and I'm more than willing to meet personally if anyone is interested in making a deal.

I live in Corvallis, OR, so access nearby would be preferred but I'm willing to travel further out.

Thanks for looking.

Well nobody is answering so I assume they are not gonna give up the "Honey hole."
but really why would they. I have tried to ask people in my area about the same type of deal you are and of course they don't mention there PRIVATE area. As a seasoned hunter now I know why, because it only takes one person to screw up and its no longer available to anyone.

so that being said my suggestion to you is do your own door knocking and see what you get. Start out by being really friendly and show you are a respectable hunter. Mind you that there will be many doors slammed in your face. remain curtious and keep trying down the road. Once you find someone interested in what you are saying but they are being a little tight with just saying ok then hit them with the proposal of money or help around the land. Just hang in there and don't feel lost when the door knocks turn up zero cause eventually you will find someone that will.

good luck

Woody,

Thanks for the advice. I was hoping that an actual land owner will see my posting and will respond, but no such luck. I'll start knocking on doors soon! Happy hunting.

Also don't rule out the people you see daily while your out. For instance, I got a great hook up from the local espresso stand people in one of my hunting areas. They called all the farmers they served coffee to for years and got me on that day! So don't rule out anything especially small businesses in small towns. Being friendly and a good customer helps out in the wierdest ways sometimes.

drive out to the edge of town and look for a mom and pop nursery... the deer browse the leaves off of the young tree's. alot of nursery's will allow you to hunt with a bow.. I have a few that i go to late season up here in portland. good luck..
aim small miss small
Doug

As a small landowner, this is what I see.

If the deer and Elk are damaging the property, I might be open to someone else helping to control them. If they are not damaging the property at all, I probably would not even hunt them myself...so depends on how many are in the area.

There are farmers out here were I live that own several thousand acres, each, and they will allow hunters with permission...and yes, they do charge...The one I am most friendly with basically charges based on how he feels about teh person...he is also very restrictive of who and when, there are never more than 3 or 4 hunters on his 7,000 acres at one time.

Peresonally, I would look at your county assessor's web site...most have them now, with land maps...look for large land holders, preferably farmers that might be having damage problems, then contact the land owner and ask.

In western WA there are places like Pe Ell,that is kinda muddy and wet,where the farmers like to kill a few elk off since when 100 come thru their property,they damage every thing in their path.
100 head of cattle + 100 head of elk = one nasty pasture

Find those areas in your region.Or the ones stated above

Good luck

for next year....<broken link removed>

Deadeye,

I have done the OSU Dunn Forest hunt many years. A friend of mine and I got two deer out of that area in the last 10 years or so (one buck and one doe) and that's about it. The number of deer has decreased significantly. My son and I hunted deer with rifle there last year and we couldn't even find signs (i.e., droppings or tracks) that deer are there. Of course, you drive back to town on Soap Creek Rd and that's where they all are, hanging out by the McDonald Forest and other private property where they can't be hunted...clearly they're not stupid.

I did put in for both deer and elk (bow) and rifle (deer) this year. Drawing was today, so hopefully I'll be able to do it again this year.

As a small landowner, this is what I see.

If the deer and Elk are damaging the property, I might be open to someone else helping to control them. If they are not damaging the property at all, I probably would not even hunt them myself...so depends on how many are in the area.

There are farmers out here were I live that own several thousand acres, each, and they will allow hunters with permission...and yes, they do charge...The one I am most friendly with basically charges based on how he feels about teh person...he is also very restrictive of who and when, there are never more than 3 or 4 hunters on his 7,000 acres at one time.

Peresonally, I would look at your county assessor's web site...most have them now, with land maps...look for large land holders, preferably farmers that might be having damage problems, then contact the land owner and ask.

This is great advice. I'll definitely give it a try. Thanks.

drive out to the edge of town and look for a mom and pop nursery... the deer browse the leaves off of the young tree's. alot of nursery's will allow you to hunt with a bow.. I have a few that i go to late season up here in portland. good luck..
aim small miss small
Doug

Never thought about this. We definitely have a few nurseries in town that I can contact. Thanks!

Deadeye,

I have done the OSU Dunn Forest hunt many years. A friend of mine and I got two deer out of that area in the last 10 years or so (one buck and one doe) and that's about it. The number of deer has decreased significantly. My son and I hunted deer with rifle there last year and we couldn't even find signs (i.e., droppings or tracks) that deer are there. Of course, you drive back to town on Soap Creek Rd and that's where they all are, hanging out by the McDonald Forest and other private property where they can't be hunted...clearly they're not stupid.

I did put in for both deer and elk (bow) and rifle (deer) this year. Drawing was today, so hopefully I'll be able to do it again this year.

The 110 rd and the 400 are best and up on Starker just west of the 400. Up above the winery on maxfield Cr is good also. Starker off soap Cr is OK to hunt and Boise off Maxfield is also.

The 110 rd and the 400 are best and up on Starker just west of the 400. Up above the winery on maxfield Cr is good also. Starker off soap Cr is OK to hunt and Boise off Maxfield is also.

Thanks for the tips. I'll look these areas up on a map. Would you suggest these for both elk and deer or just one? I know there's a big herd of elk that hang out on the Soap Creek side of the forest, but I've never seen them IN the forest (I guess that's how they like it :)).

Thanks for the tips. I'll look these areas up on a map. Would you suggest these for both elk and deer or just one? I know there's a big herd of elk that hang out on the Soap Creek side of the forest, but I've never seen them IN the forest (I guess that's how they like it :)).

The 400 is behind the pastures and has lots of traffic from both. The 110 is down Tampico at the other end and has both but mainly deer,140 is also deer area.

<broken link removed>

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads