JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am not sure this is the right sub-forum. I did look at the others, including the vendors and business forums, but they were all specific to the pacific northwest. So admins feel free to move to an appropriate place.

Daniel Defense Terminates Agreement With Academy - TFB (http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2016/06/16/breaking-daniel-defense-terminates-agreement-academy-sports-no-guns-us/)

Gun enthusiasts calling for boycott on Texas-based Academy Sports (http://www.fox4news.com/news/161225253-story)

Doing like Dick's did - i.e., implementing a politically correct policy with regards to rifles like the AR:

"given Sunday's tragic incident in Orlando and out of sensitivity for the victims, Academy Sports Outdoors is taking several steps related to the advertising and display of modern sporting rifles, or MSRs."

The guidelines also asked stores to remove any weapon resembling the MSR's, like air soft guns, from high visibility areas. Academy will still sell the high powered rifles but will keep them in storage and equip them with trigger locks.

"Academy's decision clearly segregates firearms by their appearance, which sends a dangerous message to our politicians that it's acceptable to do so. We as an industry must stand and fight, together."

-Marty Daniel, President and CEO

So... they remove them from view like somebody came in, stole one and killed somebody with it.

Knee jerk reaction...

Well, come November their marketing strategy will probably change. But a lot like with computers, who doesn't already have an AR that wanted an AR after the last rush? I doubt Academy believe they will lose a ton of money and are willing to risk it. Most gun stores I see have plenty of ARs on display.

I wonder what would happen if the Prez said: Listen people, we can't be everywhere to protect you or know where the next attack will happen. I suggest every capable family have at least one "Assault weapon" in their house. Everyone come out on weekends and clean them in your driveway. Let the enemy know, we ain't playing.

I wonder if the president said that, would gun sales jump like it does when he mentions gun control or would people not buy because they would feel safer knowing there less chance of crazy attacks because we know crazy people aren't stupid.

... who doesn't already have an AR that wanted an AR after the last rush?...

-I figure a whole lot of folks.

I moved out here from Massachusetts last year. It wasn't worthwile for me to get one nor a handgun when I lived there. Apartment living, California type restrictions etc etc.

In the month or so since I've recieved my OR drivers license I've:

2 pistols
2 rifles (one being an AR type)
2 shotguns

A safe
Applied for my OR & Utah CHL

I plan on buying another pistol, a full size for OWB when camping.

I'm now thinking about buying a few more semi automatic rifles, simply as an investment (SKS,AK perhaps AR). Given the political climate and that it'll likely be Hillary...

Last Edited:
Might be worthwhile discussing what you might like, but from an investment point of view?

They won't be 100's of percentage points (I honestly hope not). 10-20% seems realistic.

Obviously I wasn't an owner for the last rush or the AWB, so can't say. Just guessing.

The downside would be another AWB / "buyback" (which may be likely). Then I'd have the loss of my investment in a canoe accident...

I don't have an AR - I don't believe they are as reliable as an AK, plus my next in 556 will probably be the DT MDR.

That said, I do want an AR - I think it would be a good platform for some interesting uppers, like that belt fed MG34.

Either way, I won't be buying anything from Academy - I was going to buy some ammo.

Brilliant marketing technique. Completely ignore sales increases all across the country in order to appease what is likely some group of MAGS that's threatening to boycott the store if they don't do this. Likely the folks that threatened them (I'm assuming that's how this got started), they are turning their backs on those that keep them going. If I ever had a need to shop there, I certainly never will now. Just like Crappier than Dirt - no business from me since they pulled their crap a few years ago.

Plenty of other choices to shop. Any store that won't stand up and boldly display what they sell doesn't deserve any business from any person that cares anything about the 2nd. If necessary, put them out of business and send a clear message to the other big-box stores that 'hiding' guns will only hurt them.

I never hear of them until now. One look at their website shows that it's a goofy place anyhow.
goofy.jpg

I want a nice ar and ak but haven't had (or put) cash into finding any and buying them.

My most expensive gun is a hunting rifle but as I get more funding I'll keep buying guns. It would be nice if I have all the options I have today.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top