JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Give me your suggestions for arguments supporting gun control that would sound illogical, absurd and maybe even offensive to somebody other than the most hardcore anti gun person. Try to view it through the lens of a non-gun owner reading it, who might lean towards being anti-gun but isn't blindly going to vote for every anti-gun law that they come across.

Here is an example of what I am thinking of:

We support the ban on concealed and open carry in public places and we encourage a State wide ban on this activity. We understand that gun free locations are the target of choice by mass shooters. But even drastically lowering the chances of a mass shooting by allowing concealed or open carry, doesn't justify the emotional burden carried by people scared of guns.

We acknowledge that mass shooters will not abide by these prohibitions. But having more gun free locations may reduce the chances that a specific location will be chosen. The more targets a shooter has availble the less likely that an individual location will be picked.

Disgruntled vistors and criminals may be less likely to bring a firearm in with them if they feel safe that they won't be targeted by someone at the location with a firearm.

The most common pro gun control talking points I hear are :

Why does anyone need a AR15 or a 30 round magazine...?
( Insert any other semi auto rifle or pistol here )

The trouble with the AR15 is that you can just "mow people down" one right after the other.

Ignorance of shooting and how firearms actually work

You can buy a gun off the internet and have it sent to your home.

The "Gun Show Loophole"

Its too easy to buy a gun.

Why do you carry a gun...what are you scared of...?

Guns are dangerous.

When I think that person who is spouting these talking points , will actually listen and consider a different point of view , I will use facts and my own experience with firearms to present a different point of view.

Unfortunately the person who is "anti-gun" or "gun-netural" and willing to listen , as well as actually considering a different view point , is a rarity these days.
I have met a few ..but they are few and far between.

Andy

Edit :
Bold and italics added , in the hopes that some people will understand that I already know that its damn near impossible to have a actual discussion with someone who is anti gun.
And don't need to be told this...or have the same old pro gun talking points repeated to me.

Last Edited:
The most common pro gun control talking points I hear are :

Why does anyone need a AR15 or a 30 round magazine...?
( Insert any other semi auto rifle or pistol here )

The trouble with the AR15 is that you can just "mow people down" one right after the other.

Ignorance of shooting and how firearms actually work

You can buy a gun off the internet and have it sent to your home.

The "Gun Show Loophole"

Its too easy to buy a gun.

Guns are dangerous.

When I think that person who is spouting these talking points , will actually listen and consider a different point of view , I will use facts and my own experience with firearms to present a different point of view.

Unfortunately the person who is "anti-gun" or "gun-netural" and willing to listen , as well as actually considering a different view point , a rarity these days.
I have met a few ..but they are few and far between.
Andy

(1)Why do you carry a gun.... (2)what are you scared of?

Because a cop is too heavy to carry around with me.

Not a damned thing, because I'm armed.

(1)Why do you carry a gun.... (2)what are you scared of?

Because a cop is too heavy to carry around with me.

Not a damned thing, because I'm armed.
Whether I am carrying a firearm or not...I am rarely scared.

In regards to my other talking points that mentioned...its difficult to discuss those , as many of my reasons are personal and not quite in line with the more common thoughts / reasons of why a "gun person" would do the same.

Also it is difficult at times to understand the logic of the anti-gun person...a excellent idea to try , but difficult.
Andy

Whether I am carrying a firearm or not...I am rarely scared.

In regards to my other talking points that mentioned...its difficult to discuss those , as many of my reasons are personal and not quite in line with the more common thoughts / reasons of why a "gun person" would do the same.

Also it is difficult at times to understand the logic of the anti-gun person...a excellent idea to try , but difficult.
Andy

That's because they (generally) don't use logic over emotion, have "assigned" opinions that are given from pop-culture, and care more about virtue signaling.

I've been unsuccessful to the point I've pretty much abandoned efforts to that end.

Knowing your audience , as well as time and place will help.
I have had some success in actually discussing firearms and gun rights / issues with anti-gun or gun neutral folks...but as I said...its rare and difficult at best.
Andy

Last Edited:
Citizens should not be armed because in a situation where one gun is already present, bringing another gun into it almost guarantees that someone will get shot.

If a naughty person pulls a gun on another person who is unarmed, there are pretty good odds that both will walk away. If the innocent person gets shot and killed, then the aggregate number of deaths caused by the encounter is the same; one. But at least there was a CHANCE that both parties would remain alive. Give over your wallet and hope they go away. In the event of a violent assault or rape, get medical attention followed by counseling. Hey, at least you're both still alive.

^^THAT^^ little bit of nonsense combines several leftist tropes; social justice, economic inequity, moral equivalency, and, of course, gun control. Also evident is an appalling lack of self awareness in the form of untested hypocrisy.

Why do you have a fire extinguisher... what are you scared of?
Why do you wear a helmet/seatbelt... what are you scared of?
Why do you have a spare tire... what are you scared of?
Why do you have a first aid kit... what are you scared of?

Some people are just too ignorant and to argue with them is futile and a waste of time.

Why do you have a fire extinguisher... what are you scared of?
Why do you wear a helmet/seatbelt... what are you scared of?
Why do you have a spare tire... what are you scared of?
Why do you have a first aid kit... what are you scared of?

Some people are just too ignorant and to argue with them is futile and a waste of time.
Yes...I know this....I even mentioned it a time or two here in my posts in this thread.

I think that the point of this thread is to understand , if possible the ideas of others...and try to find ways of actually discussing issues with them.

Not repeating the same things over again.
Makes me regret posting in the first place.
Andy

Some of the most idiotic comments/questions I've heard:

"Why can't you just keep your guns locked up at the range?"
"Do you really think you can stop the US Military?"
"Children are scared to go to school!"
"...Because you can't fight like a REAL man"

Those are some of my favorites, along with the whole questioning of my manhood and so forth. Oh yeah and people asking me if I'm "NRA" in their best concerned mom voice as if it was the Klan or something... I mean no other group of people would tolerate this level of abuse for exercising a fundamental right. Bear in mind I'm not open-carrying or wearing Grunt Style t-shirts. And my rig is not covered in Oregunian stickers. But when someone says something stupid, I will speak up and defend the 2A. I guess that's enough to be attacked in this State.

Last Edited:
Here is an example of a real talking point by an anti-gun group:

Myth: Mass shooters specifically target gun-free zones

Fact: A small percentage of mass shootings occur in locations where guns are prohibited

This is a corollary to the myth that so-called good guys need to carry guns to protect against prospective shooters. This myth is often used to try to stop legislative efforts to limit gun carrying in certain locations that are considered particularly sensitive or unsuitable for guns, such as schools, houses of worship, or government buildings. However, most of the incidents in the United States in which a single shooter kills four or more people—the FBI's definition of a mass shooting—do not occur in locations where guns are banned but rather in private homes or public locations where individuals are free to carry guns. There is absolutely no evidence that mass shooters specifically seek out locations where guns are banned for acts of mass violence.

• Of the 156 mass shootings that occurred from 2009 to 2016, only 10 percent occurred in so-called "gun-free zones."10 The majority of these shootings—63 percent—occurred in private homes.11
Source: https://www.americanprogress.org/is...debunking-gun-lobbys-favorite-talking-points/

The anti-gun statement above might sound logical to some middle of the road type non-gun owner who doesn't know better and doesn't bother to look up the facts or parse the language, like the word "most".

In my suggested fake statement in the original post I tried to make the same argument but in a more truthful way. I want people who are on the fence and read my sort of statement, to worry that maybe banning guns in public places might not be that great of an idea. We have people on our side who already make that argument. I want somebody from the anti-gun side to be making the same argument in a way that makes them appear as though they are in support of banning guns.

The anti-gun groups get most of the positive headlines in MSM. The only time people really pay attention is when the anti-gun legislation is extreme, like the IP the high school kids wanted passed that had the crazy ammo taxes and such. I am hoping we will have some grass roots resistance to the IPs that are coming soon from the LEVO group. I don't know what form that resistance will need to be in, but it has to be moved outside the echo chamber of 2A supporters complaining to each other.

Bottom line is, I am exploring ways that individuals and groups could represent themselves as anti-gun but with the goal of persuading people not to vote for the anti-gun bills.

I think that the point of this thread is to understand , if possible the ideas of others...and try to find ways of actually discussing issues with them.
I took this thread to be an opportunity to make up the most unbelievably stupid pro-gun control arguments that civilian disarmament advocates' blind ideology wouldn't allow them to disagree with, no matter how ridiculous.

It's the opposite of their, "Should people be allowed to own nukes?" or "Why is it illegal to hunt ducks with 30 rounds but it's okay to hunt people?" silliness.

As Rush was fond of saying, "Illustrating absurdity with absurdity.".

I took this thread to be an opportunity to make up the most unbelievably stupid pro-gun control arguments that civilian disarmament advocates' blind ideology wouldn't allow them to disagree with, no matter how ridiculous.

It's the opposite of their, "Should people be allowed to own nukes?" or "Why is it illegal to hunt ducks with 30 rounds but it's okay to hunt people?" silliness.

As Rush was fond of saying, "Illustrating absurdity with absurdity.".
I am actually looking for ways to word an anti-gun statement so that anybody but the most ardent anti-gun supporters would think it's ridiculous and cause them to not vote for anti-gun laws.

In answer to the OP:

"We at GunControl Inc. understand that millions of citizens have been murdered by their own governments - but that is ancient history.

That kind of thing could never happen these days. We're better than that now, and we can 100% trust our government, at every level.

As far as personal defense goes - that's why we have police departments. Yes, you might be killed during a home invasion - but that doesn't give you the right to own guns. It's better for society as a whole to occasionally lose a few of its members, than for the entire country to be awash in military-style weapons.

Just like vaccinating everyone, the disarming of the citizenry will cost a few lives - but will result in a safer, happier life for the nation as a whole.

Trust your government, as we weed out the malcontents among us."

786D06EA-1473-4DD3-8BBE-7DD05FCBD55C.jpeg

I am actually looking for ways to word an anti-gun statement so that anybody but the most ardent anti-gun supporters would think it's ridiculous and cause them to not vote for anti-gun laws.
I've been able to make a few antis go, "hmmmm" and think about it, at least a little bit. Unfortunately, even taking them out for an enjoyable day at the range only resulted in, "Hey... that IS fun. Guns should stay locked up at the range.. people don't need machine guns to have fun... too many guns on the streets... etc." They're no more willing to seriously rethink their position to any consequence than l am.

Two immovable objects.

I've been able to make a few antis go, "hmmmm" and think about it, at least a little bit. Unfortunately, even taking them out for an enjoyable day at the range only resulted in, "Hey... that IS fun. Guns should stay locked up at the range.. people don't need machine guns to have fun... too many guns on the streets... etc." They're no more willing to seriously rethink their position to any consequence than l am.

Two immovable objects.
The LEVO IPs might be movable if they get sufficient support from voters. I suspect one day soon our side is not going to be able to keep these things immovable.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top