JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have a box o' holsters like everyone else, but keep going back to my R&R holsters - belt loop mount OWB at about 3-4 o'clock with a shirt over it. I am one of the older guys previously mentioned that just doesn't care anymore if Fred Meyer soccer moms see me printing. Since you might be going to AK, consider pistols you can shoot with gloves. I can shoot my G22 or Sig226 a lot better with gloves on than some of my preferred carry options I would use without gloves, so if you're out shoveling snow make sure you practice that with your snow gloves to verify. You might feel awkward, and people at the range would always ask why I was doing that, but after explaining, they nodded 'yeah that is a good idea... never thought about that'.

Don't dismiss the backup option, especially if you are wearing a lot of clothing in AK. Need to be able to quickly get to the weapon. Could go pocket carry if you are wearing a heavy coat (channel your best Paul Harrell who can somehow carry 6 guns in his pockets).

Another aside regarding Alaska... I used to live in Anchorage when my dad was stationed at Elmendorf (long time ago). It was a very memorable part of my childhood, so if you have kids, they will probably love it. I wasn't there when the meth heads and homeless were a problem and wasn't driving age, so I'm sure I'd hate those aspects now. I still remember in winter going to school in the dark, and coming home in the dark, and in summer going to sleep in broad daylight. I remember fishing off Kenai. I miss those simple, innocent days in Alaska, waiting for T33s and F15s to fly over (F22s now) and the occasional A10 from Eielson (Fairbanks) to fly down. Good memories.

Good luck in your search for a holster and a new home.

As an old, fat and short Marine, I finally settled on a couple of options. I wear a "belly bad" set up when I'm carrying and my shirt needs to be tucked in. Otherwise, I wear a nylon holster for my Glock 26 and a two-mag nylon carrier in the small of my back. I either cover everything with a Tee shirt or an extremely lightweight windbreaker. I'm sure that there some keen observers that might notice some "printing" but I'm sure that it's countered by them thinking, "No, that's not a gun. He's too old and cute and far too fat to be a threat to anyone. He-he. I got them right where I want them.

The older you get, the more "invisible" you get, the less you give a damn about printing. Comfort becomes more important. Don't forget that "flat butt" syndrome.
An excellent and accurate observation!
If your prior service DDForm214 shows pistol quals in the weapons/awards box you don't have to take a training class for Oregon, just show 'em a copy of it at your appointment.... just sayin'.
Mine shows "good form with musket."

re your ORE CHL Class...

You can do it online for $10.00 & then print out the certificate which is GTG at any Sheriff's office in Oregon....

No Scheduling for a class, just the Appt to go get your Concealed HANDGUN License....

no

I got 2 holsters when I went to start carrying my commander 1911: a Garrett and an Aliengear 3.5.

The Garrett just didn't work for me - couldn't get the thing to keep the butt of the gun tucked in. But, the Alien worked out really well.

That being said, I've swapped the plastic so as to change out the commander for a Kimber Evo (about the same size as a Glock43) and the holster interferes with getting a strong and high grip. The angle it holds the gun at should be a degree or two less canted to the holster...see image. But, it works great for the 1911. So...make sure to take advantage of their 30 day no questions asked policy for returns if you don't like it.

IMG_8727.jpg

IMG_8729.jpg

IMG_8728.jpg

Well after the recommendations for the alien gear I checked out their site and I got a couple. Backpack holster for when I'm scouting for game/hunting and an IWB for when I'm out and about with the wife and kids. Its gonna take a long time to get here but I don't have my appointment until the 29th anyways. Thanks everyone for the suggestions

As an old, fat and short Marine, I finally settled on a couple of options. I wear a "belly bad" set up when I'm carrying and my shirt needs to be tucked in. Otherwise, I wear a nylon holster for my Glock 26 and a two-mag nylon carrier in the small of my back. I either cover everything with a Tee shirt or an extremely lightweight windbreaker. I'm sure that there some keen observers that might notice some "printing" but I'm sure that it's countered by them thinking, "No, that's not a gun. He's too old and cute and far too fat to be a threat to anyone. He-he. I got them right where I want them.

Gunny stays strapped! Semper Fi

I have a box o' holsters like everyone else, but keep going back to my R&R holsters - belt loop mount OWB at about 3-4 o'clock with a shirt over it. I am one of the older guys previously mentioned that just doesn't care anymore if Fred Meyer soccer moms see me printing. Since you might be going to AK, consider pistols you can shoot with gloves. I can shoot my G22 or Sig226 a lot better with gloves on than some of my preferred carry options I would use without gloves, so if you're out shoveling snow make sure you practice that with your snow gloves to verify. You might feel awkward, and people at the range would always ask why I was doing that, but after explaining, they nodded 'yeah that is a good idea... never thought about that'.

Don't dismiss the backup option, especially if you are wearing a lot of clothing in AK. Need to be able to quickly get to the weapon. Could go pocket carry if you are wearing a heavy coat (channel your best Paul Harrell who can somehow carry 6 guns in his pockets).

Another aside regarding Alaska... I used to live in Anchorage when my dad was stationed at Elmendorf (long time ago). It was a very memorable part of my childhood, so if you have kids, they will probably love it. I wasn't there when the meth heads and homeless were a problem and wasn't driving age, so I'm sure I'd hate those aspects now. I still remember in winter going to school in the dark, and coming home in the dark, and in summer going to sleep in broad daylight. I remember fishing off Kenai. I miss those simple, innocent days in Alaska, waiting for T33s and F15s to fly over (F22s now) and the occasional A10 from Eielson (Fairbanks) to fly down. Good memories.

Good luck in your search for a holster and a new home.
Schucks alaska sounds badass! My boys are maniacs for the out doors so they should love it. I want to buy a glock MODEL 40 for out there. 10mm is the minimum caliber I would want there for sure lol.

Nice. Odds are you'll have replaced one of them in a month or two. There is just no way to know you'll like it until you've worn it for a few weeks and adjusted it (and often your clothing) again and again. :) Very good start though.

Will you maintain Oregon as your home of record while on active duty? The reason I ask is because as an Oregon resident in the military you will not have to pay Oregon state income tax as long as you spend fewer than 30 days/year in the state, and you won't have to pay state income tax in the state where you are stationed either. Won't matter in AK as they don't have state income tax, but could save you some money if you go to MO.

If you are going to rely on an Oregon CHL using state reciprocity then I think you need to keep your Oregon residency and Oregon driver's license, because I think you could get into trouble if the address on your CHL doesn't match the residence address on your DL. Will you keep a "permanent" address in OR?

Not sure about this, but it is a thought that occurred to me. Maybe someone else here knows more definitively.

Edit to add: As per @Stomper, don't think you need to take the class if you have a DD-214. In Oregon it doesn't need to show any firearms quals. At least it didn't when I got mine. You can probably check on line.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top