JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Oregon State Capitol
900 Court Street NE, S-323
Salem, Oregon 97301
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE CONTACT: Michael Gay
December 13, 2011 503.986.1950
HEM Questionnaire jeopardizes health and safety of state workers
Salem, OR – A representative of Keizer Permanente said they will pull a dangerous and inappropriately intrusive question from a state worker health questionnaire, thanks to State Senator Ted Ferrioli (R-John Day). A new employee involvement initiative called the “Health Engagement Model” was requiring workers to volunteer lifestyle information to assist medical professionals in tailoring individual wellness plans, including whether or not they own firearms and where they keep them. Keizer Permanente is removing the question after Ferrioli voiced concern.
“This was not just a violation of the right to privacy and the second amendment right to bear arms, it ironically put worker’s health and wellness at risk,” said Senate Republican Leader Ted Ferrioli (R-John Day). “If this information was ever lost or leaked, criminals could find in one convenient database a list of which individuals own guns, and how accessible those guns are. This question is utterly inappropriate. The data collected should be destroyed and an apology issued to those who were asked to answer it.”
The Health Engagement Model, or HEM, that state workers enrolled with Keiser were required to answer includes a question that asks, “Are ALL of the following statements TRUE for you? I do not possess any firearms. I do not drink and drive or ride with anyone who has been drinking. I always wear a seatbelt whenever I am driving or riding in a car. I drive within 5 mph of the speed limit, or I don't drive at all.” The questionnaire went on to ask if firearms have trigger locks or are locked in a place that has to be opened with a key or combination. These questions may be illegal under the Federal Affordable Care Act.
“The question ridiculously equated gun ownership to drunkenness, reckless driving, and other criminal behavior,” said Ferrioli. “The assumption insults people who exercise a constitutional right to keep and bear arms. These issues have no bearing on an individual’s wellness plan.”
State Senator Ted Ferrioli is asking both Keizer Permanente and the Public Employee’s Benefit Board to purge gun ownership data that has already been collected and to put safeguards in place against future violations of worker’s constitutional rights.
###

I guess that's a good start, but I'd be more impressed if they (the State) would dump the database they have built up from background checks when buying from a FFL. If they weren't building a database then why do they ask for the make, model, caliber, and serial number of the firearm, you are buying?

Seems to me all they should need is your name, and MAYBE your SSN to determine if you are criminally excluded from buying a firearm, regardless of what it is.

The Health Engagement Model, or HEM, that state workers enrolled with Keiser were required to answer includes a question that asks, “Are ALL of the following statements TRUE for you? I do not possess any firearms. I do not drink and drive or ride with anyone who has been drinking. I always wear a seatbelt whenever I am driving or riding in a car. I drive within 5 mph of the speed limit, or I don't drive at all.” The questionnaire went on to ask if firearms have trigger locks or are locked in a place that has to be opened with a key or combination. These questions may be illegal under the Federal Affordable Care Act.

I hope the questions are illegal. Driving within 5 MPH of OR's speed limit is idiotic at best in the Eastern portion of the state. In neighboring states, you'd be obstructing traffic.

I hope the questions are illegal. Driving within 5 MPH of OR's speed limit is idiotic at best in the Eastern portion of the state. In neighboring states, you'd be obstructing traffic.

It might be idiotic from a practical standpoint to some people. But it's legally wise at least when driving with firearms through California - driving speed limit won't get you pulled over, and a nosy anti-gun CA LEO won't be poking inside your vehicle :D

It might be idiotic from a practical standpoint to some people. But it's legally wise at least when driving with firearms through California - driving speed limit won't get you pulled over, and a nosy anti-gun CA LEO won't be poking inside your vehicle :D

You must not of driven in southern Kali anytime in the last 15 years then. Even the police do 85-90 without lights or sirens on on a regular basis.

You must not of driven in southern Kali anytime in the last 15 years then. Even the police do 85-90 without lights or sirens on on a regular basis.

I actually moved from SoCal to Oregon just over a year ago. Needless to say law is applied differently to LEOs and citizens, especially in CA :)

I've been thinking about these questions and the biggest problem is WE,as gun owners,are the only one who would take exception of this.
Heck the people who don't own or don't like guns would eagerly answer this NO
So if you are complaining about the question then they have there answer,making this law a very good law.

Oh and fd15k,everyone in SoCal drives fast and you get pulled over if you are driving within 5mph of the speed limit on the freeway for impeding traffic.
I don't know what area of CA you lived in

Oh and fd15k,everyone in SoCal drives fast and you get pulled over if you are driving within 5mph of the speed limit on the freeway for impeding traffic.
I don't know what area of CA you lived in

West Los Angeles, for many years. I'd frequently drive to Angeles Ranges (with NRA stickers on the vehicle), while impeding the traffic. Haven't been
pulled over even once in 6 years :)

Oregon State Capitol
900 Court Street NE, S-323
Salem, Oregon 97301
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE CONTACT: Michael Gay
December 13, 2011 503.986.1950
HEM Questionnaire jeopardizes health and safety of state workers
Salem, OR – A representative of Keizer Permanente said they will pull a dangerous and inappropriately intrusive question from a state worker health questionnaire, thanks to State Senator Ted Ferrioli (R-John Day). A new employee involvement initiative called the "Health Engagement Model" was requiring workers to volunteer lifestyle information to assist medical professionals in tailoring individual wellness plans, including whether or not they own firearms and where they keep them. Keizer Permanente is removing the question after Ferrioli voiced concern.
"This was not just a violation of the right to privacy and the second amendment right to bear arms, it ironically put worker's health and wellness at risk," said Senate Republican Leader Ted Ferrioli (R-John Day). "If this information was ever lost or leaked, criminals could find in one convenient database a list of which individuals own guns, and how accessible those guns are. This question is utterly inappropriate. The data collected should be destroyed and an apology issued to those who were asked to answer it."
The Health Engagement Model, or HEM, that state workers enrolled with Keiser were required to answer includes a question that asks, "Are ALL of the following statements TRUE for you? I do not possess any firearms. I do not drink and drive or ride with anyone who has been drinking. I always wear a seatbelt whenever I am driving or riding in a car. I drive within 5 mph of the speed limit, or I don't drive at all." The questionnaire went on to ask if firearms have trigger locks or are locked in a place that has to be opened with a key or combination. These questions may be illegal under the Federal Affordable Care Act.
"The question ridiculously equated gun ownership to drunkenness, reckless driving, and other criminal behavior," said Ferrioli. "The assumption insults people who exercise a constitutional right to keep and bear arms. These issues have no bearing on an individual's wellness plan."
State Senator Ted Ferrioli is asking both Keizer Permanente and the Public Employee's Benefit Board to purge gun ownership data that has already been collected and to put safeguards in place against future violations of worker's constitutional rights.
###

More likely Keizer is just getting thier plan and internal structure to match Obamacare. "When they do it for ya they will do it to ya" this is your future unless its stopped 2012 elections

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top