JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I got my first muzzle loader today. It is a T.C. 50 cal. I have some power belt bullets and those are simple enough.

What I was wondering about is. Do I need to use a patch with lubed conicle style bullets?
any help would be appreciated

Most likely not, but it depends on how "snug" they fit in the rifling.

Congratulations on your first muzzle loader, they are ALLOT of fun!!!!!!!:s0155:

What is your rifle twist? That will determine what style/type of projectile to use for maximum effectiveness. It will either use a ball and lubed patch or a greased conical assuming this is a traditional muzzleloader and not one of these new fangled hybrid crossover "muzzleloader". The Power Belts are designed for the modern cross over muzzleloaders.

Welcome to the dark side!!! This smokeless stuff is just a passing fad anyway!

Oh if it is 1 in 48" then conicals will be ideal. If 1 in 66" then a patch 'n ball. Again assuming it is a traditional muzzleloader then ditch the modem expensive jacketed bullets with sabots and go all lead - either the patched balls or lead conicals.

What is your rifle twist? That will determine what style/type of projectile to use for maximum effectiveness. It will either use a ball and lubed patch or a greased conical assuming this is a traditional muzzleloader and not one of these new fangled hybrid crossover "muzzleloader". The Power Belts are designed for the modern cross over muzzleloaders.

Welcome to the dark side!!! This smokeless stuff is just a passing fad anyway!

it is one of the new fangled ones. not sure of the twist. It came with a hand full of power belts, sabots ,and a boxe of lubed maxi bullets. I only shot it three times sofar. Now I am thinking I need a nother bullet mold so I can cast for it to. Just need some soft lead from what I understand.
I cant believe I waited this long to get one. Now I think I am going to haft to get a traditional one also.

Ah, then disregard my comments all together. You're in a totally different realm than I was going and my comments or questions are not of much help. Good luck and enjoy!

When you get a traditional percussion and/or flint or even Black Powder Cartridges you'll have a whole new appreciation for how our forefathers survived and lived. It is humbling and enjoyable.

The Gun Works in Springfield is the largest BP shop west of the 'ol Miss. Joe knows his stuff. Go to his web site or better yet go visit his shop. Ask and learn from them!

Ah, then disregard my comments all together. You're in a totally different realm than I was going and my comments or questions are not of much help. Good luck and enjoy!

When you get a traditional percussion and/or flint or even Black Powder Cartridges you'll have a whole new appreciation for how our forefathers survived and lived. It is humbling and enjoyable.

The Gun Works in Springfield is the largest BP shop west of the 'ol Miss. Joe knows his stuff. Go to his web site or better yet go visit his shop. Ask and learn from them!

So it is a 1 in 48 twist inline tc black diamond. thats what the gun says any ways. I will have to check out the gun works. I know its not a traditional, That will haft to be next on the agenda. Got to keep the look going.

"So it is a 1 in 48 twist inline tc black diamond. thats what the gun says any ways."

The TC web site lists the Black Diamond as a 1-28 twist. Are you sure of the 1-48 twist rate. If it says that on the barrel you must have one of the the exceptions or a special order gun of some sort. Double check that as it makes a huge difference in the projectiles you can shoot. Also TC has the owners manual available for download in PDF format. It's a very complete manual and describes the proper care and loading in a VERY detailed manner. I was just there and viewed it.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top