JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Hey guys I would love to chime in here if that's ok.
I have two question as to the diameter/thickness of this tree and the height of the marks up from the ground.

I believe everyone is right as far as putting the attention to deer except I think the size and height might better indicate an elk.

Also, due to sap and age of rub I would say that it's several months old maybe 6months which would put it in the time frame for when deer/elk are rubbing antlers.

Also, I want to point out that similar rub marks can be caused by porcupine and bears. However the markings that are wavy and irregular in direction don't support that. Bears and porcupines scrape/grind in a very purposeful vertical direction peeling the sugary under skin called cambium. And is usually done when weather is warmer. I hope I spelt that right.

Either way. Looks like elk to me. Tons of fun and thanks for sharing picture.

Last Edited:
Could very well be elk, cant tell the height in the pic. Either way, its called a rub, not a scrape. A scrape is when a deer scrapes the ground to bare dirt with its hooves and pisses in it, under an overhanging licking branch.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads