JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So a family friend want's to know if these might be cougar scratches on his property. These were taken today. there were 2 other places on the property that had similar marks on trees. He has came across a partially eaten deer on the property. there has been a cat sighted by at least 2 people in the area. Farmland in the center of the Willamette valley.

scratch1].jpg scratch2].jpg scratch3.jpg

Last Edited:
I agreed, it looks like most deer/elk rubs I ever saw, I guess its the timing that makes me consider the possibility of it being something else.

So a family friend want's to know if these might be cougar scratches on his property. These were taken today. there were 2 other places on the property that had similar marks on trees. He has came across a partially eaten deer on the property. there has been a cat sighted by at least 2 people in the area. Farmland in the center of the Willamette valley.

View attachment 680117 View attachment 680118 View attachment 680119

Notice the light stripes contrasted against the darker surface, how it looks like a stick or pipe was dragged up and down from the side.... that's from antlers. If it were a predator there'd be sharp furrows gouged into from claws.
04093732-2A62-4D14-9B50-35022984F529.jpeg

Elk.

If an adult man took those photos, y'all are high thinking it's a little black tail. That's a clear Rooooosevelt elk run by the height alone. So me thr Blacktail, Muledeer or benchleg that made those rubs and I'll show ya Ed McMahon delivering a cheque to my house.

it looks old, the evergreens don't heal well in winter. You can also see the start of callous tissue on the right side of the rub. That is at least 2+ months of Oregon winter to develop that callous.

First, It's pretty high up for a cat, unless that cat was after a treed critter, I would say no, not a cat! I agree with the others, most likely deer, or maybe a juvi elk!
Even the rare Bear ( Not the Racing Plane, LOL) would have mostly just removed the bark, and not gone much deeper then what you have there!

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top