Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Abolish the ATF!

Discussion in 'Legal & Political Archive' started by timac, Mar 8, 2015.

1. timac

timac Loading Magazines! Well-Known Member

This needs to happen. Harass your reps to support this bill, hopefully they hear the people.

March 05, 2015, 05:02 pm
    Republican proposes abolishing the ATF amid bullet ban controversy

By Cristina Marcos

ar15getty.jpg
    Getty Images
    Rep. Jim Sensenbrenner (R-Wis.) has reintroduced legislation to do away with the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF).

Sensenbrenner, a senior Republican on the House Judiciary Committee, said the policies under ATF's jurisdiction could be easily incorporated into other agencies. Moreover, he argued, the ATF has become embroiled in too many controversies in recent years, like the botched "Fast and Furious" gun-tracking operation.

ADVERTISEMENT
    "The ATF is a scandal-ridden, largely duplicative agency that lacks a clear mission. Its 'Framework' is an affront to the Second Amendment and yet another reason why Congress should pass the ATF Elimination Act," Sensenbrenner said in a statement.
    The ATF has drawn the ire of Republican lawmakers for its proposed ban on an armor-piercing bullet used in AR-15 rifles. Republicans say that hunters frequently use the bullets. The bureau says it initiated the regulation to help protect law enforcement officers from bullets that can pierce armored vests.

Sensenbrenner's bill would transfer the ATF's functions related to guns, explosives and violent crime to the FBI. Meanwhile, responsibilities regarding alcohol and tobacco laws would fall under the Drug Enforcement Administration's jurisdiction.

The ATF director would have 180 days, or about six months, to submit a plan to Congress on how to wind down the agency.

Dissolving the ATF hasn't always been a priority for just Republicans, who generally oppose gun restrictions. Rep. John Conyers (D-Mich.), the top Democrat on the House Judiciary Committee, previously introduced a bill in 1993 to turn over the ATF's duties to other parts of the Justice Department.

hker71, CryWolf, Slobray and 3 others like this.
  2. filsonhand

filsonhand In the Silicon Forest Smooth as a Rhino 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

I don't see a downside to this , one less agency to drain tax revenues

fuhr52, hker71, Babyshark and 4 others like this.
  3. Stomper

Stomper Oceania Rising White Is The New Brown Silver Supporter

It's tantamount to "feel good" legislation, and it'll never happen.

First, "introducing a bill" is a FAR cry from anything happening. It has to pass both houses of Congress (good luck), then has to be signed into law by the President or his veto overridden (again, good luck). Why would those in power voluntarily relinquish it?

Second, NO government program, department, or agency has EVER been "deleted".

Third, this agency is a TAILOR MADE instrument for the ever rising TYRANNY (soft and hard) that we see peeking from behind "the curtain" with increasing regularity.

Fourth, nothing short of winning an armed revolution, complete with trials for TREASON for those in top to bottom positions, and having the appropriate sentences being carried out afterwards is ever going to set things right in this country.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2015
  4. coyote223

coyote223 NW Oregon Stamp Collector,,,

Never happen while we keep re-electing the same old useless RINO scum. DemokkkRats want the control, they will never sign on,,,

Caveman Jim likes this.
  5. BoonDocks36

BoonDocks36 Oregon, in the boondocks Christian. Conservative. Male.

Unfortunately posts #3&4 are spot on. And the reality that gets Closer, Day By Day, of Stompers Comments, are all to frightening to this old geezer.

Frightening, yes... But I will do my part.... No matter what it is....

In Liberty,

philip

Liberty97045, svxr8dr and Caveman Jim like this.
  6. Dyjital

Dyjital Albany, Ore Flavorite Member Bronze Supporter

along with the NFA, and GCA..

Wipe them all away.

BoonDocks36 and Caveman Jim like this.
  7. Benny503

Benny503 Grants Pass Well-Known Member

Remembers there are stills a lot of anti-guns groups supporting ATF. Unless they start to bann Alcohol and Tobacco, but that agency is Federal money making so I dont think the GoV will let it go.

Caveman Jim likes this.
  8. Caveman Jim

Caveman Jim West of Oly Springer Slayer 2016 Volunteer

A grand gesture but ALAS, it will fall on deaf ears & Owebozo will use his pen & phone to veto it.
    Owebama should be dragged from the White House kicking and screaming like a little girl and thrown into Gitmo and tried for TREASON!!!!:mad:

9. Benny503

Benny503 Grants Pass Well-Known Member

Life will be much happier!

Caveman Jim likes this.
  10. Dave Workman

Dave Workman Western Washington Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

CWOUSCG and tiggers97 like this.
  11. peetar

peetar Kitsap County Active Member

The thing about these so-called "feel good" bills that many people don't understand is that in a political concept of total war/fight everywhere you must be on max offense.
    Let me explain it this way. A lot of people say that these types of bills are not very useful and that they are a "waste of time and resources".
    I can understand why someone might initially think that... but look at the winning tactics the demoncrats have employed to great effect using this very same tactic.
    Fighting everywhere means you bleed the enemy of resources. While he is busy fighting you on seemingly ridiculous bills and statutes, you are making tiny, incremental steps towards your ultimate goal. Transformational reform.
    Fundamentally transforming the country. The Demoncrats have been winning this battle over the last 40 years while the Establicans resort to a max-prevent defense.

All this has caused is a slow erosion. Only progress has been made in areas where people have gone on the offensive. The "not one more inch" crowd needs to be saying "we want our natural rights restored" more often.
    In other words, fight them on everything they believe in and hold dear. I could care less about gay marriage but I will fund efforts to fight it just so they are bleeding resources trying to defend something they truly want reformed. If they are wasting time/money/energy defending gay marriage on the national stage, they aren't using those same funds to attack my gun rights.
    It truly is a zero sum game, folks.
    Start playing to win and putting some points on the scoreboard. Start forcing them into defense mode.

fuhr52, Caveman Jim and Dyjital like this.
  12. peetar

13. bolus

bolus Portland Gold Supporter Gold Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

If you remove the ATF, the only thing it would change is the name written on the back of their vests when they raid your home or business. Its not like the laws are going to suddenly change. There will still be government bureaucrats trying to restrict bullets and making sure you dont hold a firearm to your shoulder or that your barrel isnt a 1/2 inch too short.

14. peetar

In order to do that, another agency would have to be created (assuming the ATF is abolish-able).
    True, the NFA laws would still be on the books but what is on the books can be selectively enforced or not enforced by government agencies. Just ask Obama.
    All I care about is winning. Everything that causes pain, hatred, loathing or discontent to the statist is worth pursuing.

Caveman Jim likes this.
  15. peetar

Also, apparently the ATF has realized they made a "mistake". They say it was a publishing error. The mistake was underestimating the outrage.
    http://www.theblaze.com/stories/201...face-on-ammo-ban-calls-it-publishing-mistake/

Folks, big agencies like the ATF don't make mistakes regarding regulatory publications. Especially when they previously banned 7n6 ammunition just a few months ago for the EXACT same reason. Calling it armor piercing.
    The palpable outrage and subsequent legislative actions have them running scared because of over-reach.

16. tiggers97

tiggers97 United States Well-Known Member

Hypothesis for a moment: If the ATF were to be dissolved, how would it be divided up?

I could see Tobacco and alcohol going either under the FDA (spirits?) or USDA.
    Firearms under the FBI?

peetar likes this.
  17. peetar

I could see it going that way. The FBI would be the agency that most makes sense to me. Of all the Presidential candidates I can see winning the nom, I think Walker or Paul are the only ones with the stones to do such a thing. :)

18. peetar

Update...
    It appears the ATF is simply stalling and playing games.
    http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/5...ans-say-2nd-amendment-at-risk/article/2561295

Of course, their overreach has caused a backlash.
    A majority in both the Senate and House — 52 senators, 238 House members — have joined to oppose the Obama administration's move to ban a popular type of ammo used in the top-selling AR-15 rifle and pistol because it pierces police body armor.
    A week after the House members, led by Judiciary Committee Chairman Rep. Bob Goodlatte, sent a letter of opposition to the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, Senate Judiciary Committee Chairman Sen. Chuck Grassley echoed that in his own letter signed by 51 others.

Stay tuned.

19. bakersman345

bakersman345 Camas wa Well-Known Member

I like that the ammo ban got 51 signatures but the letter to Iran only got 47.
    -- Republican rhinos dont want the ATF gone that's one less platform to run against.

20. fuhr52

fuhr52 Lane County. Oregon Well-Known Member

We have the ATF in the first place because of laziness on the part of the agencies that existed at the time. It also gave more power to the professional political class. Much like the NSA, ATF is nothing more then a knee jerk reaction to a present incident. How many different policing agencies does our government need, state and federal? NSA like ATF is but another layer of bureaucracy to cover what a current agency already covered.