JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Washington D.C. moving to fix a "State Problem"?

I don't see it.....unless the issue goes to the SCOTUS.

IMHO, charging money to exercise a RIGHT is just the beginning of the Govt. infringement upon ALL our RIGHTS (not just the 2nd A). People fail to see that if the Govt could charge a lic fee (or BGC fee) to own a firearm......then, the Govt could also charge a fee to attend a church or publish a newspaper or book or give a speech in public, etc.... Rrrrright.....because, the Govt will need "special police/regulators" to monitor these activities/people. So, call it a "user fee" (or tax) and it's acceptable? Not in my opinion. But, the argument has never been positioned in that way. So that being said, I also doubt that pro-gun crowd will fund the movement to take the issue to court as the "infringement" has been said, to ONLY cost $25. A price that many are willing to pay, rather than to see the issue in court.

Cough, cough.....

Aloha, Mark

PS.....Just judging from past experience, perhaps, we need a pro-gun Initiative of our own? LOL.....the title of the initiative doesn't even have to be truthful.....just a good title. Anyway, most voters probably won't/don't READ the details. Just like, what just happened. They'll be all for it. Just cause, "Change".

Last Edited:
I get the sentiment, but a little civics understanding is helpful here.

The President won't/can't abolish laws passed by States within their own territory, even if they are unconstitutional. That is the job of the courts, starting at the state level and leading, eventually, to the SCOTUS. The SCOTUS will not insert itself into state politics unless and until all in-state remedies have been exhausted, and the appropriate federal courts have also had their say. Relief in this case from the Federal Gov't is a long and slow road.

These White House petitions are interesting as far as gauging public sentiment, but they mean nothing, no disrespect intended to those involved.

Energy and efforts would be better spent working at the state level, contacting state representatives, starting/signing state initiatives to overturn 1639, and supporting any and all legal challenges within the state.

Let's try to solve our own state problems before running to Daddy Federal Government.

I get the sentiment, but a little civics understanding is helpful here.

The President won't/can't abolish laws passed by States within their own territory, even if they are unconstitutional. That is the job of the courts, starting at the state level and leading, eventually, to the SCOTUS. The SCOTUS will not insert itself into state politics unless and until all in-state remedies have been exhausted, and the appropriate federal courts have also had their say. Relief in this case from the Federal Gov't is a long and slow road.

These White House petitions are interesting as far as gauging public sentiment, but they mean nothing, no disrespect intended to those involved.

Energy and efforts would be better spent working at the state level, contacting state representatives, starting/signing state initiatives to overturn 1639, and supporting any and all legal challenges within the state.

Let's try to solve our own state problems before running to Daddy Federal Government.
I understand what you are saying and agree on the civics lesson. I signed it because - #1 it can't hurt, #2 Trump does have some friends in SCOTUS, District and Appeals. Making it clear to Trump that we are in trouble may give him the impetus to move it up on his things to do.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top