JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
30139zt.jpg

After selecting and receiving my latest scope purchase I was determined to find the best scope cap/covers money could buy. First of all I'll begin by telling you that I went with the Vortex Viper PST 4-16x50 FFP with the EBR-1 (MRAD) illuminated reticule. It will eventually be paired for life with my current Mega Arms SPR project (still ironing out some cycling issues). I didn't start my quest intent on having the best scope caps money could buy but as I searched and read reviews on various covers, I became acutely aware that all scope covers were not created equal. Finding the proper size was challenging as well what with all of the various different charts and measurements.

Many hours of googling and surfing the net finally brought my attention to the Aadmount Scope caps/covers. They were receiving rave reviews by all that were adventurous enough to plop down the $100+ some odd cost of owning a set. With the old adage in mind, "buy once, cry once", I committed myself to owning a set of the Aadmounts that would fit my new Vortex Viper PST. As I browsed the simple but elegant website for Aadmount, I realized that they also sold scope mounts that were as highly touted as their scope covers. Once I had selected the set of caps that I needed I began to check out and was very surprised to see that I was charged a sales tax. I thought, "That can't be right". Are these guys local? Come to find out, these caps were designed and built by a gentleman right here in Everett, Washington. I was pleasantly surprised by this development and frankly was never so happy to have to pay sales tax on something. Imagine, the most renowned scope covers found on the internet, designed and manufactured by a small family owned and operated shop right here in my hometown of Everett. The cheap skate in me instantly determined to contact the owner, Jon Aadland of Aadland Engineering to see if I could save on shipping by meeting him. He was gracious enough to agree on meeting with me at the local West Coast Armory North.

Aadland, as I came to find out, is pronounced odd-land. Jon Aadland was extremely personable and took the time not only to tell me his story but also helped me fit the covers to the scope, which I had brought with me. The Aadmount covers are unique in several ways and he took the time to explain the improvements that he had built into his product. The Aadmount covers come with the revolutionary feature of being able to tighten the covers once they are slipped onto the scope housing, via a little hex head screw that cinches the cover ring around the ocular/objective lens housing. The wrench for this operation is provided in the Aadmount scope cover kit. The material used to make the covers is also very unique. It appears to be made of a dense foam rubber but is actually a very durable, textured synthetic material that is pliable enough for fitment without rendering itself brittle. It is hard enough to provide more than ample impact protection to any value of scope and optical lenses. The ocular cap also features a flip lever for easy deployment of the hinged cover. Jon also explained that the covers were tough enough to tug by the opened hinged cap for removal from the scope without injury to his product. It is difficult to convey just how tough these things are with pictures alone. They are quite literally built like tanks but seem just as light as any other random scope covers. Jon also offers discounts to the LE/Military community. This is a total win, win situation. They will be the last scope covers you will ever have to buy. This product gets three thumbs up from old11b.

A link to the website:
https://www.aadmount.com/

oqevkz.jpg

1547uw9.jpg

35mkuo1.jpg

25p2u5e.jpg

Those are definitely 3D-printed. That's one reason why they are expensive. If you say they have a rubber-like pliability, they are probably made of a material called TPU (thermoplastic polyurethane). This is a good way to make these since the tranditional molding process would require a big capital investment. Given the huge number of scopes out there, 3D-printing allows an 'on-demand' manufacturing method which gives them the benefit of not needing to invest in molds or even bother keeping a large supply of product. They can basically print them as orders come in.

Thirtycal

Well that's interesting... This photo from their website shows a post-processed surface finish:

PICT0486.JPG

Notice that the surface finish is 'smoother' than the photo from the OP. This is a bit ummm... well lets say that they wanted to make the samples in their photoshoot look really good.

Not sure what the post-processing involved - maybe just some very careful beadblasting... I'd hate to think that they hand-sanded the parts that were used in their photoshoot.

The problem with laser sintered nylon is the surface finish isn't great and also typically requires dying in order to get the traditional look of molded black plastic. The nylon used by most of these powder-based 3D printers is white. So I noticed that not only do the photos from the AADMOUNT website show what looks like un-representative surface finish, I also notice that the closing 'clasps' are dyed red in the marketing materials, but are black in the product received by the OP.

I think these look great but the marketing photos don't really appear to represent the actual product and if I were to buy these I'd want them to look like the product in the marketing photos.

-Thirtycal

Well I think you could pick this apart or dissect it any way you like, but the bottom line in my opinion is that there are very few manufacturers out there that can compete or replicate the quality of the product that I have observed here first hand.

I now also own a throw lever from Aadmount, designed to fit the same Vortex scope that I featured in the OP. It too is a cut above the rest. Instead of a chinky little piece of aluminum it is the shape of the handle on a bolt from a bolt action rifle. It really lends to achieving a good purchase with little/minimal effort. It works particularly well on my Vortex Viper PST because the magnification dials on these scopes tend to be very stiff and require a little effort to adjust.

Say the word and I'll post up some pictures of the throw lever.

This guy makes great products, he is local and he stands behind everything he makes or sells. How could you possibly go wrong. I'll never buy the cheap doo doo again.

Thirtycal,

He may have actually improved upon the material as well as the design that these caps are manufactured from. I noticed that the covers in the picture you posted are lacking the adjustment screw to tighten/secure the cap to the objective or occular lens. These tensioning screws ensure a snug fit to any scopes that may have slightly smaller or off diameters. Looks like I may have purchased/posted second generation caps that were improved upon. I really love the texture and material that these are made of, whatever it is.

I picked up a set off of the prize table at JC Steel a year ago. FYI. the ones that fit the Nightforce NSX with 50mm objective also fit a Bushnell XRS. These lens caps are freakin AWESOME!!!

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top