JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Weeeeeeeeeelllll.

Time to change my Christmas list, eh?

That is EPIC.

How much do those things run?

500--4000$
And the amount of money you spend is not a guarantee it will function correctly.
You also need to keep your shells in a cooler on a hot day.
Plan on 50-200 for your mags/drums as well.

Here are some folks who can actually run them with a purpose YouTube - New R&R Targets Saiga 12 in action

A Saiga 12 functions correctly out of the box when shooting the buckshot and slugs it was designed to shoot. If you throw low powered birdshot into the equation, then expect to start playing with the gas valve. Some folks criticize the Saiga for its poor stock trigger placement, but it is where it is solely to meet the requirements of US import law and is not a design flaw. Even after the (easy to perform) modifications to restore it to a more correct AKM configuration, an $800 to $900 magazine fed semi-auto shotgun is a hard platform to beat.

Edit: Don't expect the magazines to drop out the way they show on that last (way cool) video. There are no commercial LRBHO devices on the market that will allow this. Unless you are a good home machinist, expect to rock 'em out like any other AK magazine.

I paid $1,350 for my modified Saiga 12, and it is as close to a true AKM configuration as is currently possible with market parts. http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/storeproduct776.aspx (I'm kind of a purist when it comes to my AKs.)

Here's a decent video showing the kind of performance a Saiga 12 is capable of, and remember it is a current-issue combat arm in the Russian armed forces. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulBn-PVq-AQ

Keith

A Saiga 12 functions correctly out of the box when shooting the buckshot and slugs it was designed to shoot. If you throw low powered birdshot into the equation, then expect to start playing with the gas valve.
The problem is many guns (including mine) are known as "Vodka specials" and the gas ports are either incorrectly sized or drilled in the wrong spot and partially obscured by the gas block. I spent a half hour and knocked the gas block off on mine and drilled out the ports. I've only had 1 stovepipe with cheap low brass ammo since (probably 200 shells). In a defensive situation with heavy ammo, it will be 100% reliable.

I love mine so much I got rid of my 870.

The problem is many guns (including mine) are known as "Vodka specials" and the gas ports are either incorrectly sized or drilled in the wrong spot and partially obscured by the gas block. I spent a half hour and knocked the gas block off on mine and drilled out the ports. I've only had 1 stovepipe with cheap low brass ammo since (probably 200 shells). In a defensive situation with heavy ammo, it will be 100% reliable.

I love mine so much I got rid of my 870.

Correct. From what I've read, the Vodka Special problem is for the most part limited to the earlier guns (...maybe I'm wrong about this...?). Another problem is overgassing, identified by 100% reliability with Wally World Winchester Universal; RAA says a correctly gassed Saiga with the original gas valve should not cycle with this cheap, low power birdshot. A $25 Gunfixer or similar product eliminates the overgassing and can correct undergassing in some cases.

Keith

That'll do the job.

Today, I just introduced my mom (now 72) to her first bolt action rifle (.22 Romanian trainer), .30 cal (RPK in x39) and 12 ga. (Saiga 12). Three firsts in one day :) .

Keith

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top