JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I just finished building an A2 with 20" hbar, and I can't decide what stock I want on it (currently has a standard A2; just want something a little different). I have looked at a few options, and I'm down to deciding between two magpul products: MOE or PRS. The new MOE rifle stock looks decent and is inexpensive, but it bugs me that I need to buy an extended buttpad to get back to the standard A2 LOP (it comes .25" shorter than an A2, and the only option is .5" longer, so it will end up .25" longer than original which should fit me well). Plus, I'm not sure I'm gaining anything other than looks between the MOE stock and the standard stock. The other option is to spend over 3 times the price of the MOE on a PRS. The PRS is adjustable for LOP and comb-height, so it is obviously cooler. However, I hate fiddling with adjustments (especially if they aren't necessary); I just want to shoot! Does anyone have experience with the PRS? Is it worth the extra money? The comb-height of a standard stock seems to give me a good cheek-weld when using the iron sights, and I really don't like the feel of a scope mounted over the carry handle, so I don't know if the adjustable comb would make any difference to me. Sorry for rambling; any opinions / experiences that you want to share?

I have a PRS and I love it. I would not put one on an A2 though, I have it on my target AR. With the PRS once it is set you leave it so no "fiddling" with it unless you have a need to change, I never have. It is also a fairly heavy stock.

Personally for what you describe I would keep the A2 stock and call it good. I had an ACE stock on one of my rifles for a while. I do like the looks and feel of it but it is very light so an HBAR would end up having a heavy front.

The only thing I really feel a "stock" A2 need is a better grip. The stock AR grip is to thin for me. I prefer the ERGO grips but there are many good options out there.

I have an Ergo grip and tac-latch; best 2 mods so far. I plan to slowly modify it into what I really want (an RRA 2-stage trigger is next on the list), and I just want a different look to the stock. My goal is to build the ultimate "Practi-cool" rifle since I'm tired of the current M4 trend. I love old-school A2's, but I am shooting for a "new-school" look without too much stupid crap hanging off of it.

The MOE is supposed to be a little heavier than the A2 stock, which may help balance the gun without going to the extreme of adding weights in the A2 stock. I may eventually consider fluting the barrel, but I'm resisting that option right now because I may turn it into a "Dissy".

Have you looked at the UBR butt stock? It's a bit lighter than the PRS. Does not snag facial hair. I used one on my last 16" rifle and liked it enough to buy a second one to replace the Vltor A5 on my 24" Grendel.

july12build01.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Man I never checked the weight but is the UBR really lighter then PRS?
I wouldn't PRS an A2. PRS deserves something LR/varmint style imho. I'd just stick with an A2 stock.

Have you looked at the UBR butt stock? It's a bit lighter than the PRS. Does not snag facial hair. I used one on my last 16" rifle and liked it enough to buy a second one to replace the Vltor A5 on my 24" Grendel.

july12build01.jpg

I do like my UBR stock. I got the impression that the OP wanted a fixed stock. While it is lighter it is not much. It would balance out the HBAR well and look nice.

DSC_0004-2.jpg

For some reason, I think I want a fixed stock. I'm really just rebelling against all of the M4's I see everyday. The UBR looks awesome, and it would add the adjustable LOP necessary for my GF and her kids to shoot it, but it doesn't fit the picture in my head.

Beefcake,

It sounds like you're going the same route I am. I'm building my first AR right now and have an eye on using it to up my marksmanship skills - along with taking care of some varmints, too.

I'm going with an 18" barrel in a medium-heavy profile (the stainless 410 barrel from Bravo). I'm not high-speed low-dragging it out of humvees and helicopters, to a collapsible stock isn't something I strictly need. As such, I just went with the A2 stock kit from RRA.

Might upgrade to the MOE rifle stock down the line after I get a Harris bipod and my glass upgraded. Looks like the cheek weld would be better with it, and I hear rumors it's built better/more sturdy than the A2s...

Excellent choice in barrel sir!!

Beefcake,

It sounds like you're going the same route I am. I'm building my first AR right now and have an eye on using it to up my marksmanship skills - along with taking care of some varmints, too.

I'm going with an 18" barrel in a medium-heavy profile (the stainless 410 barrel from Bravo). I'm not high-speed low-dragging it out of humvees and helicopters, to a collapsible stock isn't something I strictly need. As such, I just went with the A2 stock kit from RRA.

Might upgrade to the MOE rifle stock down the line after I get a Harris bipod and my glass upgraded. Looks like the cheek weld would be better with it, and I hear rumors it's built better/more sturdy than the A2s...

Beefcake,

Yes, my intent is to use it to improve my marksmanship, too. I rushed to finish it before the Appleseed shoot this weekend, so it isn't quite what I want yet, but it is starting to come together. I mounted an AFG and a Gas Pedal last night in addition to a bipod and sling, then trimmed my rail covers to complete the fore-end. I don't have the extended butt-pad yet, so I'm going to leave the A2 stock on it for this weekend.

I like these Ace stocks too. Keep in mind that the collapsible stocks are somewhat more fragile. If the stock becomes damaged the rifle could become disabled.
Good cheek weld is vital for accuracy. Plus the end of the stock can be used as a meat tenderizer.

AR-15 Skeleton Stock Fixed Length 10.5" Long Ace Ltd. ARFX

ar15.jpg

I have the Magpul PRS on my A2, and I love it. The PRS is a little heavier, but if you're going with an 18" stainless barrel it is important to balance out the weight. The $200 is money well-spent.

The build I just finished has a Geissele Super Dynamic Enhanced 2-stage trigger (straight bow), a White Oak Armament stainless 18" Wylde SPR match barrel, Magpul PRS stock, JP Enterprises modular hanguard, etc.

To cut to the chase, I put 5 rounds into 5/16" at 100 yds at the Golden Gun Club in Denver, CO last month. I was hitting a 6" target at 550 yds all day. I was shooting hand-loaded 77gr Sierra Match Kings. My teammate built the same rifle, and ended up placing 3rd in his division in a precision rifle match. It was the first time he'd competed with the rifle.

It's nice to be able to adjust the comb height without ever breaking my cheek weld.

ar15.jpg

View attachment 48224

I have the Magpul PRS on my A2, and I love it. The PRS is a little heavier, but if you're going with an 18" stainless barrel it is important to balance out the weight. The $200 is money well-spent.

The build I just finished has a Geissele Super Dynamic Enhanced 2-stage trigger (straight bow), a White Oak Armament stainless 18" Wylde SPR match barrel, Magpul PRS stock, JP Enterprises modular hanguard, etc.

To cut to the chase, I put 5 rounds into 5/16" at 100 yds at the Golden Gun Club in Denver, CO last month. I was hitting a 6" target at 550 yds all day. I was shooting hand-loaded 77gr Sierra Match Kings. My teammate built the same rifle, and ended up placing 3rd in his division in a precision rifle match. It was the first time he'd competed with the rifle.

It's nice to be able to adjust the comb height without ever breaking my cheek weld.

The teammate here (hey bro) I'll add one note to what jawbone said. I'm sensitive to cheek height, especially prone. The correct height for me for prone is too high for off hand shooting, so high I can't get an unobscured view through the scope. I absolutely love the ability to adjust the comb height quickly and easily. I generally leave it set for off hand shooting. Once I flop down into the prone position (bipod and rear bag), I can easily run it back up while in position. I just crank it up with my support hand till my eye is aligned vertically.

It is heavy, and we worried about that. In retrospect, I think we made exactly the right call.

Wow very good taste, I'll have to get pics of mine up. Geissele SD-E trigger, WOA SPR barrel with rifle length gas, Mega modular mono upper and going to be swapping from ACS to a PRS.

View attachment 48224

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top