JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Last night I had a few few friends and family over for drinks and a BBQ. At about 10p.m. I was at the grill carving up some ribs when I noticed a man walking in the street next to my fence.

As we made eye contact he spoke to me but I could not hear what he said. The music and party noise drowned out his words.

He started to walk away but stoped and spoke again. Once again I ignored him hopeing he would leave.
He did not

He now comes the gate and ask if I could give him a beer. I asked one of the guest to grab a beer so he would go away. This guy looked like a thug so as I talked to him I rested my arms on top of the gate with the butcher knife in full view.

He tells me he just got out of prison after doing over 20 yeas.
Then he tells he just left a house where he had an argument with his wife and her family.

As he is telling me this I notice the muzzle of a simi auto appear above the privacy slats in the gate.
He lowers the pistol and said "I could have shot him in the face" .

My cousin now shows up with a beer for him. I said I'll be right back in a calm voice not wanting
To agitate the man

I walked to the hot tub and told my wife and her friend go in the house now and take the kids awayfrom the windows. I went to the bedroom a grabed my Kimber then headed to back yard.

I am VERY thankful he was gone when I got there.

The police came by and we sent them in his direction. I then traded my Kimber for my HD shotgun

About 30 mins later the police returned and said they had arested him. He was a felon and still had the 9 mill on him.

I live in a nice neighborhood a have never considered carring at home. I am not sure if I had my pistol that I would not have shot him througt the fence.

Once he lowered his gun I had no way to know if it was pointed at me or not.

I hope I never have to take a life. But this has giving my a lot to think about.

I am thankful to God it played out the way it did.

I live in a nice neighborhood a have never considered carring at home.

The "nice neighborhood" is a bit of myth. Dirt bags and criminals come from all classes and walks of life and while the nice old retired couple down the street are great people, their kids or grand kids may not be and they may still feel the need to take care of them or support them as they are just "misunderstood." Furthermore dirtbags and criminals have full access to vehicles and public transportation and nothing prevents them from cruising your block, as you've discovered. Remember dirtbags and criminal are predators, and predators roam as they deplete the resources in the areas around them.

If you haven't read about it already, here is a link to an article about a random hammer attack that ended up killing a mother and daughter.
Las Vegas Hammer Attack

WOW!!! i too am glad it was resolved without you having to take his life especially with with your wife and kids there, glad you had plenty of friends/family there, it may have defused him some, and by giving him a beer relaxed him, in that of a situation just give the idiot a beer instead of being confrontational, you had no way to know he had the gun at that point.

I have place hand guns all around the inside of my home just for this kind of a situation, and usually have one whenever i go out to a store. Last year I started place my little keltec 32 on my belt when at home, not much but at point blank it will take a person out.

This is why I always have one on me, even in the house.

Although I cannot say it is wrong to carry a gun under most any circumstance,(better to have it....),it would have done no good at all,had he wanted to kill someone.
Saving the next guy's life,maybe.
But as it played out,you brought a knife to a gun fight that you didn't know existed,until it was too late.
Not faulting you,by any means.Just saying,I and others think a gun will save them when this bad guy had a serious drop on bike bo.
Hopefully the next time something like this transpires,all that read this thread will look at passers by in a different light.

Glad it all went well

That sounds incredibly scary and I am glad it turned out okay for you and yours. I'm trying to put myself in your shoes and I don't know if would have been as calm... hmmm I have some work to do on myself by way of mental preparedness and confidence in the face of danger.

"When people have nothing, and have nothing to lose, they lose it" - G. Celente

It is hard dealing with someone like that - the nothing to lose type of characters. Best strategy is doing what you did. Protect, pull back, retreat with others. Glad to hear the cops actually came through for once. Surprised they didn't kill the guy on the spot.

This man made the front page of Mondays New Review. After leaving my house he was waving the gun on Harvard Ave and had traffic stoped. This is a four lane with center turn lane main road through Roseburg.

Police said he ignored there orders to stop and began walking toward the stoped cars. He was tackled from behind.

He was charged with illegally possessing a firearm, disorderly conduct, menacing and first degree theft.

If I had my pistol with me I dout he would have complyed with my order's which would have most likely ended in a gun fight.

I'm not sure if I had fired through the fence that I would not be the new George Zimmerman. After all even though he showed his pistol he never pointed it at me ( that I could see) and never made a direct spoken threat.

At point blank range having a counter punchers mentality will get you killed.
This was a very sicking position to be in. I hope that I or none of you will ever face it .

In this case, your act of civil charity (giving him a beer) probably was "disarming" to him...A show of force in this case would not have ended well i suspect.

I know a couple really "rough" characters...(Pagan Biker gang members). I always try to treat them with civility. One of the gals says..."I just love you, you are so non-judgemental". I think it has served me well, I have never had any problems with those guys, even though some have.

When I was stationed down to Mare Island there use to be a bar called the "Horse and Cow" just off Tenesse blvd in Vallejo Ca.- It was very memorable for many of the wrong reasons. Two groups of peope hung out there - biker gangs and submarine sailors. Marines would not go anywhere near that place. We never messed with the bikers and they never messed with us. It was funny one of our spouses could go in thier and feel perfectly safe. I have seen and been in a few scuffles there with other sailors and seen bikers kicking the heck out of each other as well. The bikers did not mess with us and visa versa. It was a very unique and memorable place. The basis was respect between the two groups. I hope Mikie, Gary and Jimmy are doing well.

James Ruby

I'm not even going to try to, "Armchair quarterback" your situation or throw out some, what ifs. The fact that that DB is in jail and you and your family/friends are safe proves the situation was handled well.

I would encourage people who are nervous about carrying to train, train, train until they feel confident doing it all the time. Make sure the people around you are comfortable with it by getting them used to it. If i was not printing a little at a BBQ, it would get more attention then if i was. The people around me are just used to it. My, $.02.

Lefty.

Sounds like this one sure had to potential to turn out different. This is definitely a learning experience. I am happy it turned out without a life changing incident.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top