JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I was out shooting the other day and saw someone shooting with an oil filter and went over to ask em about it. It turned out it was a real one, registered and all (stamp). He was using it on a 300 blackout with 247 grain subs, it wasn't as quiet as a commercial can but it sure didn't sound like a gunshot. standing right next to him I didn't need ear pro, and it sounded like you dropped a large book on the floor, more of a woomp than a bang. He shot one without the can on it and it was not terribly loud but it sounded like a gunshot.

JIC anyone had ever wondered if they were effective on something larger than .22.

Did anyone catch the Shooting USA Shot Show 2014 episode?
There was a short segment on the 300 Blackout
- they were showing cans - and they had a "place holder" for while you wait for your Tax Stamp.
I think they said just using the 'place holder' would reduce the sound of the gunshot.
If so - can you share the information - like brand and product name?

Thanks,

Found a picture -
http://www.shootingusa.com/TV_SCHEDULE/SHOW_33-03/Tactical_Solutions_TSAR300.jpg
Tactical_Solutions_TSAR300.jpg

Tactical_Solutions_TSAR300.jpg

Just think. If there was no BATFE and anyone could just go get a suppressor at Fishermans you could do the oil filter thing for $15 (you know, like Europe).

Of all the stupid laws, written for stupid reasons.

Some stupid movie in the 30s made it seem like a suppressor would get a gun sound to nothing, and the crazy critters passed the law banning them, w/o the tax stamp & registration.

Everyone should own and use cans - everyone.

yeah I don't really see the point of them now that the BATmen have ruled that you can't replace the oil filter yourself. when it was just the adapter sure, but now not so much.

ps, it wasn't my econocan.

it's not a new ruling. it's always been the rule. for several decades now.

end users cannot replace suppressor parts themselves. a baffle or a tube is a suppressor part.

at first they were treating the oil filter as a wipe, and the adapter as the suppressor, but they changed their minds.

The ATF maintains that the end user can replace wipes.

the oil filter was never a wipe. even cadiz gun works stated that from day one.

the silencerco letter only verified what people already knew. this was not a change in any ruling, as the ATF never ruled the filters as wipes to begin with. because it isn't a wipe. it's a metal outer tube (silencer part) with baffles (silencer parts). it was pretty obvious that replacement of the filter by end users was not legal, the letter is just something to shove in the face of the ill informed who insist doing so is legal.

the only thing that even comes remotely close is a 2L plastic bottle adaptor where the bottles really are wipes. but they shred quickly and the suppression is so bad that nobody makes them anymore. you had a pretty good chance of the bottles flying downrange as well, unless you used really low power ammo. i think the last company making them was SWD in the 80s, before the owner got busted and sent to prison.

No, your wrong. The oil filter WAS considered a wipe when they first started selling them, because a friend of mine bought one and he only received the engraved adapter, no filter. This is only possible if the filter is considered a wipe. They subsequently stopped doing this and started including the engraved filter as well when the letter came out. Now here is where I prove that the filter is not considered the suppressor body, because you can send it back to the company to get replaced without paying another $200 tax stamp. You can't do that for a suppressor body according to the BATFE. So this makes the oil filter equivalent to a baffle or an end cap.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top