JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
If we have any attorneys out there, we need some feedback. OK- long story short: guy makes a coffee shop called "DUMB Starbucks Coffee". Comedy Central's Nathan Fielder Reveals Himself as Dumb Starbucks Owner - The Hollywood Reporter But the owner says its legal because it's a parody.

So I wonder if we made a shovel, or a broom that just so happens could shoot bullets and we sold it as a broom or a shovel? If its primary intended use is a shovel or a broom, could we do something like this? Its an intriguing thought as a way to get around the gun control act of 1968- after all, when was the last time you saw a shovel or a broom with a serial number?

Work with me people! Don't say "No this won't work" just to be a spoil sport- lets take this idea and see if it could be expanded.

"Once you have overcome every objection, then you will have made the sale"- remember that

No I do not think its a bad idea. When I had to use a cane for a couple years after being injured I really wanted to make one into a 410 single shot. The idea of having what looks to be a normal tool or item and have it be a firearm is a lot of fun. I would love to have left my pistol at home and brought my cane/shotgun when I went places. I even sketched ideas and was messing with a old single shot 410 long barrel to see how I could make it work and look like a normal cane...at least normal enough.

I sometimes use a cane myself so yes the cane shotgun is an idea that appeals to me. As far as I know there is nothing illegal about making one for my own use. Its selling them that gets tricky. Hopefully an attorney will chime in with some hard data.

Any Other Weapons (AOWs)—this is a broad "catch-all" category used to regulate any number of firearms which the BATFE under the NFA enforces registration and taxation. Examples include, among others:

1) Smooth-bore pistols 2) Pen guns and cane guns 3) A firearm with combinations smooth bore and rifle barrels 12 inches or more but less than 18 inches in length from which only a single shot can be made from either barrel. 4) Disguised firearms 5) Firearms that can be fired from within a wallet holster or a briefcase 6) A short-barreled shotgun which came from the factory with a pistol grip and no buttstock is categorized as an AOW (smooth-bore pistol) rather than a Short Barrel Shotgun (SBS), because the Gun Control Act describes a shotgun as, "...designed or redesigned to be fired from the shoulder..." 7) Handguns with a forward vertical grip.

I sometimes use a cane myself so yes the cane shotgun is an idea that appeals to me. As far as I know there is nothing illegal about making one for my own use. Its selling them that gets tricky. Hopefully an attorney will chime in with some hard data.

If it fits into a NON-NFA definition then it is 100% legal for you to make one of your own. If it fits an NFA definition then you have to fill out, summit and receive approval back before you can legally do it.

Any Other Weapons (AOWs)—this is a broad "catch-all" category used to regulate any number of firearms which the BATFE under the NFA enforces registration and taxation. Examples include, among others:

1) Smooth-bore pistols 2) Pen guns and cane guns 3) A firearm with combinations smooth bore and rifle barrels 12 inches or more but less than 18 inches in length from which only a single shot can be made from either barrel. 4) Disguised firearms 5) Firearms that can be fired from within a wallet holster or a briefcase 6) A short-barreled shotgun which came from the factory with a pistol grip and no buttstock is categorized as an AOW (smooth-bore pistol) rather than a Short Barrel Shotgun (SBS), because the Gun Control Act describes a shotgun as, "…designed or redesigned to be fired from the shoulder…" 7) Handguns with a forward vertical grip.

First off- thanks "Fast Eddie" for your comment that was 100% unhelpful. You're on ignore- I specifically requested to come up with ways to work AROUND objections and you jumped right into it head first.

Second,,,Himmmm,,,,that #4 part about "disguised",,,can't think of a way how to overcome that right off hand. Maybe use the barrel as a handle for something, and use the receiver as something else, then when you needed it you could mate them together? Would that work?

Darn- I don't think this is going to work. I did some research awhile back on cane firearms and this would fall legally into that category. And those laws I'm sure have been glomed over very hard the past 80 years or so.

Unless you sold it as a broom with a disclaimer "this is not a firearm- use at your own risk" or something similar? But you would have to do it,,,,Himmm, this idea will probably not work,,,,

This has all the definitions of what firearms and all their parts are, 27 CFR 478.11 - Meaning of terms. | LII / Legal Information Institute

Here is the one for "Firearm";
Firearm. Any weapon, including a starter gun, which will or is designed to or may readily be converted to expel a projectile by the action of an explosive; the frame or receiver of any such weapon; any firearm muffler or firearm silencer; or any destructive device; but the term shall not include an antique firearm. In the case of a licensed collector, the term shall mean only curios and relics.

Once you read all the definitions and understand them you will see it does not matter what a firearm looks like or how it is made, it is still a firearm.

The only place most "traditional" firearms laws, like NFA, do not apply is with muzzle loading firearms.

1) Smooth-bore pistols 2) Pen guns and cane guns 3) A firearm with combinations smooth bore and rifle barrels 12 inches or more but less than 18 inches in length from which only a single shot can be made from either barrel. 4) Disguised firearms 5) Firearms that can be fired from within a wallet holster or a briefcase 6) A short-barreled shotgun which came from the factory with a pistol grip and no buttstock is categorized as an AOW (smooth-bore pistol) rather than a Short Barrel Shotgun (SBS), because the Gun Control Act describes a shotgun as, "…designed or redesigned to be fired from the shoulder…" 7) Handguns with a forward vertical grip.

First off- thanks "Fast Eddie" for your comment that was 100% unhelpful. You're on ignore- I specifically requested to come up with ways to work AROUND objections and you jumped right into it head first.

Second,,,Himmmm,,,,that #4 part about "disguised",,,can't think of a way how to overcome that right off hand. Maybe use the barrel as a handle for something, and use the receiver as something else, then when you needed it you could mate them together? Would that work?

Darn- I don't think this is going to work. I did some research awhile back on cane firearms and this would fall legally into that category. And those laws I'm sure have been glomed over very hard the past 80 years or so.

Unless you sold it as a broom with a disclaimer "this is not a firearm- use at your own risk" or something similar? But you would have to do it,,,,Himmm, this idea will probably not work,,,,

Also, you owe Deadeye an apology.

Isn't Trailltrader the guy with 100% disability from the VA for a head injury that causes him to have the emotional maturity of a 10 year old? Or am I thinking of someone else?

No, you're right- 10 to 12 year old, 18 on my good days. But unlike most people I also have adult supervision in the form of friends, preachers, psychologists, psychiatrists, nurses (Including an electronic computer made by Bosch called "Health Buddy"), apartment managers (plural) who know my collection, my Club Range Officers, plus a few professional organizations now that I have decided to come out of retirement and try to go back to work.

In other words, **laughs** I can't get away with anything, anytime, anywhere! And thats OK in my case because I have nothing to hide. I do however support those who want to stay hidden in the shadows.

Most people don't realize that while legally if you become famous (such as Justin Bieber) you don't have the legal protections of autonomy that the average person has.

Before I was forced to retire my rating as tested was 2,558 or above in my chosen field out of roughly 110,000 in the United States. I was good enough at it that I taught advanced classes online for free after slashing my class size from 268 down to 89 because they failed MY background check.

If you want to know what my profession was/is (Is/was?) ask me 1 August, 2014. There's too many a@@ on this website who would just love to screw with me. Yes I do apologize that may sound arrogant- but the evidence that I'm right is the stack of people I've put on ignore who have the very same attitude who would do exactly that.

Well that didn't sound arrogant at all. You must be a real joy to have as a neighbor.

Flop, you ever heard of the old saying "If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem"? Seriously?

Can you guess what list your name has been put on? Hint: starts with an "I" and is listed under "preferences"

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top