JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have several Erma pistols, made in Germany between the 60's and late 90's. Some more than others, cast Zamak parts abound--the frames, at the very least, if not the uppers and some parts of the action.

My question is, does anyone know of an appropriate chemical or electrolytic process that would impart a new finish to this material? I'd prefer not to paint, coat, or bake on a finish because the markings have minimal depth already, which will decrease if the zinc alloy is sanded, filed, or buffed to clean it up for the new finish. No, I'm not going to glass bead it, either--for the same reason, and that it's shiny/smooth now, and I'd prefer not to change the surface texture, or add to it.

One thing I've heard is that cold bluing, heated to about 180 deg., and pre-heated parts put into it will result in an acceptable blackening of the zinc.

Anodizing may work, I've also heard, as there may be enough aluminum in the mix to make the process successful.

Black chrome would be an option, but who does it, ala FFL?

I've considered Cerakote, but this project does not warrant such an expense.

Has anyone successfully refinished a cast zinc gun?

I've checked into anodizing and found it something that I could do in my shop. The color is applied to the fresh oxide with--are you ready for this?--RIT dye. It can be rubbed to the desired gloss. It sounded promising, before, and might just do some experimentation on some broken front toggles made from this material.

Of topic question--

I have an Erma 22 LA that I need a front sight for. Any ideas? Numrich has been "out" for a couple years now.

Mine has a nice finish, I just want to repair the front sight that broke off several years ago.

Yes, as a matter of fact, I do have some ideas. Ask Tom Heller, the "lugerdoc" , a member of Lugerforum.com, may have some, as he has worked with Ermas in the past and I know he has some parts. [email protected]

Alternately, I found a source in Germany and bought two spares, and I think I have an extra used one in a parts lot I bought. The new German ones are pricey, I'd need about 30 bucks for one of them, including postage. If I have a used one, $20 would persuade me to sell, same deal. Keep in mind that Erma is long out of business. Bob's Gun Parts seems to have bought up most of their NOS parts. When Numrich, Sarco, and Bob are out of them, they are really OUT, with no prospect of renewing their stock. One more option is to wait for an La or Ep (sights are identical) to be parted out and offered on Gunbroker, ebay, etc. I've accumulated other Erma parts--grips, internals, etc. so you could check with me if you need anything. I'll eventually be offering some improved original wood grips--the checkering will be extended all the way to the edges of them after they are contoured to have smooth curves and feel at the perimeters, and I intend to install brass tops to the insides of the left grips to present a smooth, dissimilar metallic surface for the trigger system components to ride against instead of chewing out the wood, and doubling as a top tab that will not crack/break/chip off. They won't necessarily be cheap, but they do address these two common issues, and would be a nice addition for a shooter otherwise in great shape, to remedy or prevent these problems. They'll be nice.
David Parker
[email protected]

<broken link removed>

This page seems to offer the same Erma parts as the place mine came from; the two may be connected somehow because the list of available parts is identical, including the "*all parts because of limited" on the bottom line. Interestingly, the front sight is translated on this page as "grain", the other site lists it in German, "korn". Anyway, I have not checked with these folks as to whether they export to the US, but the price is the same, 15 euros, about $18. You'll find the related expenses will add up to justify my asking price for a new one.

Having seen the scarcity of this part, and the costs of those that are available I've decided to revive one of my old skills. I used to be a "model maker" for a major airplane manufacturer. I hand made lots of small parts for the models that were "flown" in the wind tunnel.

Shouldn't be much more than a week of filing, fitting, polishing and bluing. Not for a restoration anyway, just something to shoot now and then.

Well, another guy after my own heart! I suspect the dovetail area will be a bit demanding, to say the least. The shape made me realize that I probably didn't want to do it for $.75 per hr! But before I scored the ones I did, I tried to find an aftermarket front sight that would fit, or be close enough to modify, and did not have any results up to that point. I'm not sure if the dovetail groove on the barrel ring is proprietory or some sort of standard, or what standard it would be--another question for someone who knows what they're looking at?

Hey, I'm retired. $0.75/hr is more than I make now:cool:
I'm actually going to start with a "cast" of the dovetail so I can have some measurements to start with. "Wax" the inside of the dovetail using a GI cleaning brush (small end) then fill with Devcon.

The trick is to have patience and some pattern files. I've at least got the files and will be no doubt testing my patience.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top