JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
About 5 years ago at my wife's request I went and saw a cardiologist. They did EKG's and a bunch of other stuff and made me wear a monitor around for a month to record the events. At that point what they told me was they could do the surgery but it was more dangerous than the condition. I have always been able to stop it on my own. Sometimes it takes hours (which really sucks and pretty much ruins the day) but through a combination of holding my breath and movements designed to make my blood pressure spike I can get my heart to "reset"

They seem to be more common now than when I was younger. It seems like when I was in my teens/20's I could go months between them. Now its not uncommon for me to have one a week or more.

Seems to me the surgery they talked about used a laser to sever electrical pathways causing the short circuit?

One of the events I got recorded on their monitor I was over 250 BPM for about a half hour, while resting of course. When I have those severe episodes you can actually see the veins in my arms and neck pulsing and my chest basically just vibrates. I get this weird metallic taste in my mouth and often the world gets pretty squirmy & fuzzy, but I have yet to black out.

Weird. I get those same tastes in my mouth also.

OP! Go to see the Doc, you big baby! I'd miss your posts!:D
Lol. I know. I'm going to call this morning. What I hate about the doc is all the questions. I've lived through some hard te trauma events over my life. Like 4-5 of them. Just dumb luck I'm here still. Now with child #5 in my wives belly, I'm needed more.
On a lighter note, it's funny to hear my brother talk about his T meds. He's an ultra successful business man. His wife injects him twice a month. BUT... His doctor informed him he has to donate blood once a month to keep his levels healthy. LOL. After he says, DUDE, you should see me on the bench, I'm a monster. I'm like,,,,, DUDE you have to sit there give blood like a college broke azz. I guess it just makes me laugh.

I'm hearing conflicting information about low T, and especially with BPH. Some say that injections and supplements are OK, yet both my urologist and GP say that the supplements can drastically increase the chances of prostate cancer. The GP says most men quit taking them after a few months because it make them turn into world class a-holes. So what about you guys that are taking them. Any changes in mood or temperament?

I'm hearing conflicting information about low T, and especially with BPH. Some say that injections and supplements are OK, yet both my urologist and GP say that the supplements can drastically increase the chances of prostate cancer. The GP says most men quit taking them after a few months because it make them turn into world class a-holes. So what about you guys that are taking them. Any changes in mood or temperament?

Testosterone is prostate fertilizer. One of the medications to treat the symptoms of enlarged prostate, finasteride, works by blocking testosterone. So worsening BPH symptoms is one of the downsides of testosterone replacement.

One would only want to take testosterone if the blood level is low. The goal for replacement is to bring the level back up to normal levels.

Too much testosterone causes problems just like the people who abuse anabolic steroids for body building.

It will cause irritability and anger issues ("roid rage"), worsening BPH. Testosterone is part of the reason men get heart attacks. If you treat a low level with testosterone, you are restoring your average male risk of a heart attack as well.

I'd say 90% of my patients on replacement feel better and maintain the treatment. The older you are, the less likely that it will work though. the 10% who stop either have side effects or feel it did not help.

I have that fluttery heart feeling, but I attribute it to the hot weather and all of the pretty young ladies dressing in skimpy attire.

I remember Dr. Dean Edell warning against pretty much all prescribed "T" type stuff.. about 20 yrs ago on the radio. He went on but distilled down, most everyone would be pretty stupid to partake. And probably any ol' doc will give you whatever pill/shots you want under the sun.
I'd certainly go to the doc though to see if you're going to die or something but there are natural and simple ways to increase one's testosterone, given one's age and whatnot. Mainly proper diet (often surprisingly real cholesterol laden.. read animal fats) and exercise (some cardio but sorta heavy weights to increase muscle mass). Extreme cardio work and or "factory"/production-line work will decrease testosterone, as will stress.
Anyway, the last thing I'd do is run down and request to be put on steroids (because it's a given that they'll all fill that prescription for anyone).. unless something was seriously wrong.

Are-you-talking-to-me.gif

lol. I'm enough of a dick already.

I remember Dr. Dean Edell warning against pretty much all prescribed "T" type stuff.. about 20 yrs ago on the radio. He went on but distilled down, most everyone would be pretty stupid to partake. And probably any ol' doc will give you whatever pill/shots you want under the sun.
I'd certainly go to the doc though to see if you're going to die or something but there are natural and simple ways to increase one's testosterone, given one's age and whatnot. Mainly proper diet (often surprisingly real cholesterol laden.. read animal fats) and exercise (some cardio but sorta heavy weights to increase muscle mass). Extreme cardio work and or "factory"/production-line work will decrease testosterone, as will stress.
Anyway, the last thing I'd do is run down and request to be put on steroids (because it's a given that they'll all fill that prescription for anyone).. unless something was seriously wrong.

That's why you find a doctor you can build a report with and have trust. I dont give all my patients what ever they want (though it is harder now that Medicare pays on satisfaction scores). Every treatment has an upside and downside and everyone is different.

Like you recommendation to eat more animal fats. Sure steroids like testosterone come from cholesterol (thus the "sterol" and "steroid" in their names). But if you have a brick layer building your house and you show up with a truck load of extra bricks, your house does not necessarily get made faster

Cholesterol also increases the risk of heart disease. So there are upsides and downsides to everything.... You need sunlight for vitamin D but it causes skin cancer....

So you get a good doc that you can talk with who will know the pros and cons to medications vs diet and can help you get a (hopefully unbiased) overview off all the options.

If you dont want a doc that just pushes meds, find one that does not keep drug samples in their office. That means that they probably hate the underhanded scheming that the drug industry does and chooses to prescribe medications based on merit rather than if some skinny drug rep buys them lunch.

pretty strange things lately. The last 5 years I've had some heart stuff coming up. It feels fluttery. Had a offline EKG done by some doc friends, and it showed up abnormal, with possible para carditis. Inflammation around the heart.

I feel the need to share...

I have LOW cholesterol- 105-108
I have LOW blood pressure- 105/63
LOW body temperature- 97.2 is about normal for me
LOW pulse- 48 beats per minute, sitting

3 years ago I had symptoms similar to yours. I was awarded a really cool ride in a van with flashing lights, siren and lots of attention.

Now I have a large scar on my chest and a triple bypass.

I came really close to missing that ride.

Don't screw around with this stuff. Go to your Doctor.

I told my wife that a man over 50 needs sex everyday to avoid heart attacks and prostate cancer.
Her reply was not encouraging and she then raise my life insurance policy benefits.

Pirate, every year I go get a check up, they check my hormone levels, prostrate levels. We then adjust my testosterone accordingly. I take a Bio identical liquid hormone. It is a compounding formula designed for me only. It has been clearly stated to me that thru checking of my blood levels, I should not worry about prostrate cancer, unless those levels were to change} They have not changed in over 10 yrs. Getting a good baseline before starting any hormone replacement is a good idea.

As far as temperament changes. If a person tends to not put up with the normal BS, before taking it, you surely won't after taking it. I chose not to take the injections, and very glad that I did choose the Bio.

I told my wife that a man over 50 needs sex everyday to avoid heart attacks and prostate cancer.
Her reply was not encouraging and she then raise my life insurance policy benefits.
Ever notice how embarrassing it is to have your wife laughing at you when you are trying to be serious?

That's why you find a doctor you can build a report with and have trust. I dont give all my patients what ever they want (though it is harder now that Medicare pays on satisfaction scores). Every treatment has an upside and downside and everyone is different.

Like you recommendation to eat more animal fats. Sure steroids like testosterone come from cholesterol (thus the "sterol" and "steroid" in their names). But if you have a brick layer building your house and you show up with a truck load of extra bricks, your house does not necessarily get made faster

Cholesterol also increases the risk of heart disease. So there are upsides and downsides to everything.... You need sunlight for vitamin D but it causes skin cancer....

So you get a good doc that you can talk with who will know the pros and cons to medications vs diet and can help you get a (hopefully unbiased) overview off all the options.

If you dont want a doc that just pushes meds, find one that does not keep drug samples in their office. That means that they probably hate the underhanded scheming that the drug industry does and chooses to prescribe medications based on merit rather than if some skinny drug rep buys them lunch.
True

Ever notice how embarrassing it is to have your wife laughing at you when you are trying to be serious?

Relax dude...there are somethings you could do at 20, like 3 times a day / night that simply are not going to happen at 50, and she knows that. It was your ill attempt to try and convince her otherwise that got her laughing at you. Same thing my wife would do.

At a friends 40th birthday party about 18 years ago, he said I feel just like I am 18. I asked him " So you can still scre# 6 times a night ?? His wife was standing there and just laughed her a## off..He said , well maybe not 6 times but..but..but..;);)

Pirate, every year I go get a check up, they check my hormone levels, prostrate levels. We then adjust my testosterone accordingly. I take a Bio identical liquid hormone. It is a compounding formula designed for me only. It has been clearly stated to me that thru checking of my blood levels, I should not worry about prostrate cancer, unless those levels were to change} They have not changed in over 10 yrs. Getting a good baseline before starting any hormone replacement is a good idea.

As far as temperament changes. If a person tends to not put up with the normal BS, before taking it, you surely won't after taking it. I chose not to take the injections, and very glad that I did choose the Bio.
That be me. I do my absolute dangdest to self improve always. But I still come off as a prick to some folks. And it wasn't my intention. So roid rage for me might be a deal I don't want.

Yeah yeah yeah
HURRY go ot the doctor and get some drugs to make you do ........something:rolleyes:

Call it what you will but I hear more bad than good going to doctors.
I have sleep apnea,so what? Will it kill me? So what,so could anything they do to or give me for it.NWIH I'm sleeping with that thing on my face.
I'm on the way to Starbucks back in Sequim.There is an add for the low "T" crap OP is asking about.
I went in and told the gal who works there and is my age,how stupid would I look running around sniffing young girls and running into things like I did when I was in my 20s?
No thanks,I had my real stupid state of mind already

And I have fallen asleep when I sit down to TV or the computer for ever.Now I sit down and I will fall asleep pretty easy.I say it's because I have no stress left in my life.

Yeah jump on the "go to the doctor for every little thing" band wagon
Yeah,NO to doctors,who take more lives every year than your guns

They did another ekg and said my stats look off. The downswing isn't going down far enough. Whatever that means. Doc said go straight to the ER. Heck no. It's a holiday. I will go Monday.
He checked my prostate since that's never been done.
That was a first for me. I know for sure being Gay isn't in my future.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top