JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I don't know what you're loading for but "Grams"? :eek: :eek:. :p Yeah, I know. I look at the time on posts. After dinner, tired from a hard day at the office/work/a cocktail/beer or two. All of the above maybe? Yep.

But seriously folks....I can't bring myself to trust an electronic device over my own eyes and experience looking at those two lines when they match up. The talk of spraying anti static around to help the scale be accurate just sounds funny to me. Maybe an incantation too? :s0140: That is just my personal preference at this point. I'm fairly new to the hobby, Dec 2011. I use an RCBS 5-0-5. I'm a single stage loader and once I get my load weight stabilized I check every 10th-15th drop. I know that when it's warm in the house even a small fan on the computer desk BEHIND me moving air in the room will upset the scale enough that I won't use a fan while I load.

That goes for a LOT of things these day, doesn't it Jimbo? :rolleyes: :)
Sorry for the lost "I", it should be grains. My normal chemistry digital scale that weighs in grams is accurate to .01 grams (or .154 grains). My Old 1978 Ohaus built RCBS 1010 and my cheap Hornady digital scale both weigh in grains. I am not sure what they are rated for, but I would bet the RCBS 1010 is the most accurate/sensitive.

I have heard that the 10-10 is a very good scale so I think I would go with that. I just picked up a new old stock one and was going to sell it but am waffling back and forth, maybe I should keep it.

I have heard that the 10-10 is a very good scale so I think I would go with that. I just picked up a new old stock one and was going to sell it but am waffling back and forth, maybe I should keep it.
I am not sure when Ohaus stopped making them, but if you can get one, hang on to it with your life. They are one of the best made.

Well maybe not a tale but how about a tell...

I've been using a Lyman D-7 scale for the last four years and while I believe I had it set up correctly I just do not trust it. When I say do not trust it is an afterthought when I recently came across an RCBS 1010. When I got it set up, adjusted and tested I tried it out with my 223 load in my Lee powder throw that was supposedly set at 23g IMR 3031.... we'll it weren't!!! It was actually 23.4g (if the RCBS1010 is right) ....

So in all of your infinite wisdom, which one do you think is the best, should I keep one as a back up or scrap em both and get another of better quality?

As always, thanks in advance. ;)

View attachment 630509

View attachment 630510

I like to do spot checks with a digital scale

Speaking of check weights.....

How precise exactly are the ones that come with the RCBS or Hornady lock and load auto dispensers? I've got two scales that read out to .02gr and I'm curious as to how precise those check weights are.

After reading up on certified verifiable lab precision weights, I got scared when I saw the prices of the "good ones"!:eek:

Speaking of check weights.....

How precise exactly are the ones that come with the RCBS or Hornady lock and load auto dispensers? I've got two scales that read out to .02gr and I'm curious as to how precise those check weights are.

After reading up on certified verifiable lab precision weights, I got scared when I saw the prices of the "good ones"!:eek:

And one must wonder what scale they use to measure the check weights, scary thoughts, eh...:s0140:

Jim, I have an old 5-0-5, a digital gem scale that reads only in troy ounces or grams (what a PITA to convert), and a Franklin digital dedicated powder scale that reads in grams or grains.

I use the Dillon powder throw for 9mm and .45acp, and an RCBS powder throw for .38 and for a starter fill on most rifle loads.

When I set the Dillon, I use both scales against each other... they always match. I check pistol loads against the digital every 10 or 20rds. A small diff of .2 is not going to make a huge problem with .45acp or similar.

When I load for rifle for accuracy, I setup for slightly below desired measure, and then use a trickler and the beam scale for each, and every, shell.

Digital scales I have used come with at least one test weight 50gram... some come with both a 50gram and a lighter weight, either a 10gram or a 1gram, maybe a 2gram.

Good luck with your new test weights Brother! I hope you can get those two scales to match up via some kind of adjustment. I have the same problem with my digital calipers vs my dial calipers... but I trust those dial calipers every time!!

You should be able to check them adequately with some quality target bullets.. I like the RCBS!
Use my cast projectiles they're outstanding:p.

Jim, I have a portable digital Hornady (cheap), a Lee safety scale (PIA but seems to be accurate), and a Lyman pro digital (kinda spendy) that I was really suspicious of because I don't trust most Lyman stuff but it was on sale and available. I've been surprised. It's been a really good scale. They all agree with good check weights and charges/projectiles/brass/other things i've weighed like primers etc?. I'm often surprised how closely they all agree. It's a fiddling thing. Rule out as much error as you can. If you have one that is inconsistent s-can it. I don't load a ton of precision rifle stuff, but I'd really rather not blow apart one of my really nice Smith & Wesson's or Colt's either LOL. Never mind my face is my gun okay?

There is frankly only one solution and that is RCBS calibration weights.

Best $35 ever.

If you balance at 28.4gr then that is what the scale is. Doesn't matter what it says. It could be on a line marked "potato" or "Uzbekistan "

Doesn't matter. It is what the calibration weight says it is.

Period.

I shoot benchrest and would love a digital scale but shoot competitively with a borrowed RCBS 505 and calibration weights and a pair of tweezers to add grains of powder as needed.

There is frankly only one solution and that is RCBS calibration weights.

Best $35 ever.

If you balance at 28.4gr then that is what the scale is. Doesn't matter what it says. It could be on a line marked "potato" or "Uzbekistan "

Doesn't matter. It is what the calibration weight says it is.

Period.

I shoot benchrest and would love a digital scale but shoot competitively with a borrowed RCBS 505 and calibration weights and a pair of tweezers to add grains of powder as needed.
Always remember, a good field expedient check weight is10,000 Nancy Pelosi brains equal 1/10 grain.

nr

@Caveman Jim , I have spare check weights and also an RCBS Digital that I haven't used in ~5 years. I can ship them up to you to use.
I think your eyes will really like the digital....
PM me your addy please, I have other packages to send out today, so will be going to the Post Office this afternoon.

Or 0.0065 gram.....

I AM lovin' that digital Brother!!!! Thanks;)
I alternate between this and the 10-10.

DE411524-5A0E-4AB9-B3E4-A8DAA9185CB6.jpeg
23g of IMR3031 55g FMJ's is my go to load.;)
AC98ABB2-17CD-4B2D-BCA3-3A2A5F59D836.jpeg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads