JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
This is not a situation where owning a still would be like having the parts/etc. for a suppressor without the tax stamp. It is not illegal to own or even operate a still - only if you produce "spirits" with the still.
Absolutely fact. I distill water all the time, mostly for topping off my various deep cycle batteries.

You can produce wine or beer with a still, without a license/permit - if it is under a certain amount and the ABV is below a certain percentage.

I think you may be a little confused here - beer and wine are not distilled or considered spirits. They are bottled directly after fermentation. ABV doesn't matter.

100 proof should be no problem - 50% alcohol. 95% (190 proof) is the best the usual still can possibly produce (likely with several processes) since 95% alcohol/5% water is the highest purity azeotrope of an ethanol/water mixture.

Do you mean 100 proof (50% ethanol) or 100% ethanol (200 proof)?

You can't get 100% ethanol by simple distilling from a water/alcohol mix because 95.6% alcohol in water boils at a lower temperature than pure water or pure alcohol. So its easy to distill to get 95% ethanol, which is what standard lab alcohol is. And if you want 50% alcohol you just dilute. But to get 100% ethanol you need to either use a drying agent on the 95% or distill from a mixture that includes toluene.

Back in my lab days it was important to teach grad students if they are going to snitch lab alcohol to spike the punch they should snitch the 95%, not the 100%, because the 100% has traces of toluene which is poisonous.

Lab alcohol, by the way, doesn't taste good, even when diluted enough so it doesn't burn/damage your throat. It has metallic and other off flavors from the equipment it is distilled in. Grad students usually use it to spike the punch at a party-- once. It does provide inebriation, and punch conceals the flavor of the contaminants. But lab alcohol provides none of the delicious complex flavors you get from using rum. After spiking the punch once most grad students outgrow that phase. Because they learn that a lot of people don't like the punch spiked unless they know about it, and if you want an alcoholic punch, rum gives you a much more delicious punch than lab alcohol.

Going back more decades than I would like to remember...................

Some of the local LEOs would bring a sample of confiscated corn liquor to our parties. Just a sample (large) mine you.:rolleyes::rolleyes: Even to this day my thoughts are, go to the local booze store. Anything purchased there is soooooooooooooooo much better.

Foreverlost.

Some of the local LEOs would bring a sample of confiscated corn liquor to our parties. Just a sample (large) mine you.:rolleyes::rolleyes: Even to this day my thoughts are, go to the local booze store. Anything purchased there is soooooooooooooooo much better.
I know NOTHING about distilling or any processes to make liquors however I used to make my own beer and it came out fantastic - however before starting out I attended a beer brewing class that was hosted by a couple of pretty smart guys - one was a chemist and these guys went about it pretty seriously and scientifically and the results showed.

I have also known a couple guys who were into making their own liquors with similar, great results. One guy made a orange cream liquor that was fantastic. I have also had some really good sour mash and corn liquor as well.

Like anything it's all in careful preparation, the proper equipment and ingredients and really knowing what one is doing.

Absolutely fact. I distill water all the time, mostly for topping off my various deep cycle batteries.

I think you may be a little confused here - beer and wine are not distilled or considered spirits. They are bottled directly after fermentation. ABV doesn't matter.

Also, some beers are distilled after fermenting, like stouts.

Alcohol boils at 88 degrees centigrade while water is at 100. If I remember correctly. Careful attention to liquid temp will get you the purest alcohol. Charcoal filter will help with the rest.
As mentioned above, this will only give you up to 95% alcohol. Charcoal filtration is one tactic to reduce impurities. But not the remaining 5% water.

For most uses such as human consumption or use as a disinfectant, 95% is way more than needed. For use in organic biosynthesis or as a fuel additive you may need 100%.

As mentioned above, this will only give you up to 95% alcohol. Charcoal filtration is one tactic to reduce impurities. But not the remaining 5% water.

For most uses such as human consumption or use as a disinfectant, 95% is way more than needed. For use in organic biosynthesis or as a fuel additive you may need 100%.
Yes, exactly. I estimated about 180 proof, considering the serious low tech expedient distillation process. Far from efficient as well, but did the job.

And any statute of limitations is long expired, for any lurking listeners.

Also, some beers are distilled after fermenting, like stouts.
As a semi-professional stout drinker, homebrewer and having worked in a professional brewery and distillery, you are absolutely incorrect here.

As soon as a mash (beer, basically) goes into a still, it's evaporated and condensed, leaving the mash behind and extracting the alcohol. This is a clear liquid and cannot be turned back into anything else. This is now considered a spirit.

This is not a situation where owning a still would be like having the parts/etc. for a suppressor without the tax stamp. It is not illegal to own or even operate a still - only if you produce "spirits" with the still. You can produce wine or beer with a still, without a license/permit - if it is under a certain amount and the ABV is below a certain percentage.

Rrrright......I know what you intend to do with the still. Just owning a gun proves your anti-Govt/anti-control mind set. Look into my eyes. 🤪 Confess now and I'll go easy on you.

Aloha, Mark

"I do store some distilled water, but only a few gallons, for things like batteries, or other things where distilled water is better than tap water."
Distilled water could also be used to make colloidal silver, which might be the only antibiotic available.

"I do store some distilled water, but only a few gallons, for things like batteries, or other things where distilled water is better than tap water."
Distilled water could also be used to make colloidal silver, which might be the only antibiotic available.
Gardens are full of plants with antibiotic properties. Raw garlic for example. And plenty of traditionally grown medicinal plants have medicinal properties.cloves and many other strongly flavored plants we use as seasonings have antimicrobial properties. I'm talking about scientifically documented. There are whole books on growing your own medicines.

As for the colloidal silver, that looks iffy and may be harmful. I spent just a few seconds on the internet looking at the colloidal silver, so am no expert. I think I'd stay away from that one myself unless a doctor was prescribing it.

As for the colloidal silver, that looks iffy and may be harmful.
Yea, don't forget about the guy several years ago who turned blue from using it.

There is historical evidence to show silver may have some germ fighting abilities but it never really made it into 'mainstream' medicine and found it's way in to the 'naturopathic' world.

Last Edited:
Yea, don't forget about the guy several years ago who turned blue from using it.

There is historical evidence to show silver may have some germ fighting abilities but it never really made it into 'mainstream' medicine and found it's way in to the 'naturopathic' world.
I can't speak for taking it internally - I wouldn't do that. However, I did have a primary care physician have me use SSD (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silver_sulfadiazine) for a burn.

I think you are confusing proof with alcohol percentage. It would be quite easy to make 100 proof alcohol (50% abv) with a single pass in a simple pot still and thumper like you have linked. In fact with a thumper, 150 proof is quite achievable in a single pass depending on original mash. With multiple passes, progressively higher alcohol percentages will be achieved. 100% alcohol (200 proof) is not really possible with this gear but multiple passes should get close. Pot stills like the one linked are the preferred type to make whiskeys as the do not strip as much flavor as other types. All that being said, I see many design flaws with the still you linked and would advise against it. If making the purest alcohol as close to 100% as possible, I would advise a different type of still like a reflux. I would also advise more research and thinking on what your goals really are before laying down good money for the appropriate still. I can point you to a distilling forum to help with your research and equipment choices if you are interested.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top