JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I may be wrong, but I don't believe Oregon allows private, non-dillstillary individuals to distill alcohol; I believe Washington does.

Alcohol boils at 88 degrees centigrade while water is at 100. If I remember correctly. Careful attention to liquid temp will get you the purest alcohol. Charcoal filter will help with the rest.

I've distilled alcohol with a pretty makeshift setup using large glass bottles, a stopper, a cookie tin as a condenser filled with ice, surgical tubing, an adjustable heating element and a candy thermometer. Didn't test for proof, but your mouth would go numb instantly and it was highly combustible. High school chemistry...who says it was a waste of time?

I may be wrong, but I don't believe Oregon allows private, non-dillstillary individuals to distill alcohol; I believe Washington does.

It is legal to use a still for purposes other than production of alcohol, you can distill alcohol if you purchase the permit ($100/year).

I am not worried about the legality of it, only the functionality with regards to SHTF. It is probably better to just buy high proof alcohol than distill it though. Just the same, at less than $150, it would probably be good to have a still just in case.

Is this for internal use or as motor fuel?
Both.

But I don't think an 8 gallon still would be very efficient to produce alcohol fuel for ICEs. Nor would it be efficient for cooking fuel as the firewood or solar energy used in distillation would be better used for cooking itself. Also, it would probably be easier to just stock up on petroleum based fuels now while they are cheap and plentiful - which is what I have been doing for some time (plus when I move I will fill up my 250 gallon diesel tank).

OTOH, it would probably be good to have a way to distill water and alcohol for other purposes. I do store some distilled water, but only a few gallons, for things like batteries, or other things where distilled water is better than tap water. I have some Everclear for medicinal purposes, and I have isopropyl for sterilization/etc.

One could also simply claim the hooch will be used for making hand sanitizer to prevent Kate's kids from spreading the c00f

I'd done a lot of distilling (legally).

I'm not going to do a distillers course here, but I can say you have a lot more reading to do before you start, especially if you plan to make ethanol (for human consumption) vs methanol (for fuel).

Both happen at different temps during the distillation process. Controlling your distillate temp is key for methanol, since it happens at a lower temp than ethanol. This is why most distillers toss out, or sometimes save their heads for a future run.

The proof (ABV) is dependent on your mash, not your still. You can run your distillate through the still several times to hit a target ABV. Your finished volume goes down with each run.

You can get a fuel permit cheap that allows you to produce methanol for personal use. There is no legal means for the home distiller to make ethanol without starting an official distillery business.

To comment on the still you linked from Amazon, if you're making methanol, still design doesn't matter. You're after the alcohol, it doesn't matter how it tastes.

If you're making ethanol for consumption, still design matters a LOT. I wouldn't want to drink anything off that still, it would be harsh as hell.

The final product matters for the still design you use. If doing a vodka or similar unaged white spirit, get a reflux column still. For aged whiskey, it's a big fat "depends" on your personal tastes. This is where additional knowledge and research is required.

SHTF:

Have to chuckle, didn't think a still would be for sale on Amazon. Long time ago the guy down the street from mom & dad's house ran a still during the fall months. The aroma was a give away the neighbor was running another batch. Dad would take some of mom's Hungarian Apple Cake for his share of that day's run.

Hope there aren't many neighbors which notice the aroma during a SHTF event. Make plenty to keep every one happy.

Foreverlost,

Are these not more of the types of things the powers that be want to quash? if they have not made them illegal already (they don't want anybody horning in on the massive profits that they get a part of with their "friends" in the alcohol industry)

When I mention SHTF in this context, I envision a scenario where I cannot go to the store to purchase what I need (due to the scenario - e.g., Cascadian Subduction Zone earthquake - we need an acronym for that - CSZE?), so I would not be worried about permits, legality or taxes. I would not be worried about neighbors either.

Since you mentioned SHTF.....
Will you still be intending (at least) to pay the taxes?

You know the internet is bugged, Right.

Aloha, Mark
This is not a situation where owning a still would be like having the parts/etc. for a suppressor without the tax stamp. It is not illegal to own or even operate a still - only if you produce "spirits" with the still. You can produce wine or beer with a still, without a license/permit - if it is under a certain amount and the ABV is below a certain percentage.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top