JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
At the very least, that is an unusual finish for that vintage Model 57. I can tell you the Factory has made some "Interesting" mistakes. One of those mistakes is what got me into Collecting the Smith and Wesson Guns.

That is true. Here is an except from Wikipedia's discussing the 1964 model 58 economy flat matte finish.

Smith & Wesson Model 58
On July 10, 1964, S&W introduced a more basic and inexpensive .41 Magnum intended for procurement by police departments. This budget version of the Model 57 was similar in principle of design to the .38 Special S&W heavy-barrel Model 10, or .357 Magnum Model 28 Highway Patrolman. Weighing in at 41 ounces, the Model 58 featured a 4" barrel, fixed iron open sights, and simpler standard "magna service" grips.[1][3] Finish options were the same as its upscale Model 57 brethren, blued and nickel, but shortly after the Model 58's introduction S&W decided a less expensive "matte" bluing treatment would be more appropriate for the basic "workingman" model. The no-frills Model 58 also lacked an ejection rod shroud, but retained the pinned barrel and counter bored cylinder of the more expensive Model 57. The Model 58 was manufactured from 1964 to 1977 and roughly 20,000 were produced. In 2008, it was released again by S&W, both in bright nickel and bright blue finish.[3]

My point is that S&W was offering exactly that type of finish in that exact time frame, so it was possible that it was ordered that way from the factory and not a mistake.

So if it was a mistake by S&W and it showed up from the factory looking like that, would you have accepted it when you had paid for a nickle or polished blue finish?

So if it was a mistake by S&W and it showed up from the factory looking like that, would you have accepted it when you had paid for a nickle or polished blue finish?
Which he may not have kept. In retrospect, it's a who cares - the revolver in question is beautiful.
@Pierre, thank you for sharing your tale.
Many, many moons ago, I was visiting a friend in Missoula when I saw an ad for a CZ75 in 40S&W. I contacted the seller, he said he was in Arlee. Drove up, turned out to be the sheriff.
Took a look, smiled, and handed him his asking price. Then asked, is there somewhere we can go to make this legal? He says, "son, this is Montana. If you're going to shoot that, please go outside of town, on the other side of the highway there."
My kinda place. :)

Holy Camoles! LOL!! I didn't mean to ignite a firestorm! Gents, it's far too many years ago for me to remember anything about the order other than I did use their dealer catalog. It wasn't a mistake or I'd have turned it down. My short term memory is not good and my long term?. LOL

..................... however! Now my own interest is piqued and I do intent enquiring about the revolver with S&W. Revolvers (Other than a few Swiss ones) and pistols are not my typical AO. Swiss rifles? Whudda ya wanna know? I'll see what I can find out today and get back to this one.

Really neat Model 57... but tell more about the 16" barrel folding Mossberg shotgun. Is that an NFA item?

Legs, as I remember (LOL) it was from a group of Mossberg Police models purchased by the RCMP for Department distribution back in the 80's sometime. All were identical in that they were S/S, 16" and had a top folding stock I'd not seen before. It came to me in a trade involving a Barrett Light .50.

I was told there were some 300 of them in that purchase. I'll call my friend this morning and see if I can get him to take a photo of the shotgun and the inscription on the receiver.

Such an interesting set of mysteries you have presented us with, @Pierre! In Canada there is no such category of NFA items like SBS's or SBR's. Long guns are either restricted or they aren't. And if they are, then you can use any barrel you want since they can't get more restricted-er.

Of course, I only know about Canadian gun laws through Slam Fire Radio so what do I know?!

I know even less than you do, and nothing whatsoever about Canadian firearms laws. The only Canadian firearm I've ever had in my possession is that Police issue S/S top folder from Mossberg that I traded to our family doctor. That.. is the full extent of my knowledge concerning this shotgun.:confused:

Pierre; I have been meaning to say "Thanks for Posting". I Collect Smith and Wesson Handguns and am always interested in finding or at least seeing something that is rare or unusual. Your Model 57 is certainly that. As a member of the Smith and Wesson Historical Foundation I'm also interested in the History of such pieces. Thanks Again.:):):)

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top