JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Since the topic of belts has come up recently, I thought I would take a look at a few belts that I own. This is hardly a scientific look. Just a very simple comparison.

With regards to rigidity, there are likely two elements that matter...1) Rigidity across the belt's width. Meaning, does the belt fold over (or out) on itself across the width of the belt? Obviously we want a belt that can stand up to the weight of whatever you're putting on it WITHOUT folding in on itself...or out. And 2) Overall lateral or torsional rigidity across the entire belt (if I'm using those words correctly). Here again, the more rigid the belt is, the likely better for our carrying needs. But there may be a tradeoff here with comfort. Some people find a bit of flex more comfortable. There may be a balance to be struck between "rigid enough" and comfort...and this will likely vary from person to person.

The Belts: Milt Sparks leather belt, Ares Gear Aegis Enhanced, and Wilderness Instructors Belt (5 Stitch model). It's worth noting that all three belts provide decent rigidity across their width. It's in the lateral rigidity that we can really see a difference.

This is a Milt Sparks leather belt with very low mileage. In fairness the belt buckle on this belt weighs a fraction of the other two buckles. However, the belt is still capable of supporting a lot more weight without it flexing horribly.

ztGKm8a.jpg

Here is the Ares Aegis Enhanced belt. I've worn this belt daily for the last three years. It's a very heavy belt buckle compared to the Sparks belt but the belt supports the weight pretty well...

x77A1Ab.jpg

Now the Wilderness belt. This one is the regular 5 stich, no insert, after about a year of daily use. As you can see, the belt struggles to support it's own weight...albeit it's a very heavy buckle.

So would a new Wilderness belt do better here? Yea, a little bit. But not much IMO. And I'm sorry as I don't actually have a brand new Wilderness belt to see how it compares. And I'm certainly not going to spend anymore money on them to test one. The belt is still in good enough shape to keep your pants up (sans guns an mags). And the belt is still rigid enough that it won't bend in half directly across it's width (which is important). But there is a tremendous amount of lateral flex throughout the belt. And this is after only a year.

So how do you think this translates to the actual carrying of heavy guns and mags? And/or How much does this lateral rigidity matter when the belt is synched up tight? And perhaps most importantly, which belt would you want to wear?

There are, of course, other factors to consider such as material, how adjustable the belt is, looks, price, etc. The importance of these things may vary from person to person. But these things are secondary IMO to the belt's basic ability to support and control the load you place on it. To this end, the Wilderness belt may offer ENOUGH support/control for, say, a small Shield and a single mag. But it may not be the best choice for a full size, steel 1911 and a couple mags.

SrZasED.jpg

I dunno, maybe just trust your experience?
Is the Wilderness belt 1.5" or 1.75?

I've got a half dozen gun belts that seemed like a good idea at the time, just like my box of holsters.

I've been wearing a 1 3/4" Wilderness Instructor belt daily for two or three years now and it's still stiff and supports whatever I carry. I generally carried a 1911 Commander or a Browning High Power and two mags although I carry a CZ 75 compact now.

I have one of Hank's Amish gun belts, a Galco 1 1/2" Instructor belt and two other leather belts, a DeSantis and an Aker Leather.

Of the leather belts, the Hank's got the most use with the DeSantis next. I don't use leather belts anymore, it seems like my waist is always in between holes. So I just wear the Wilderness belt.

Wilderness 5 stitch with stiffening insert, 1.5 inch, with the plastic Frequent Flyer buckles. Years of use, and aside from taking on the shape of my hips, its still strong as new. Carrying a gun on the Wilderness belt I would certainly want the polymer stiffener.

Looking back via my internal way-back-mosheen, the nylon duty belts I used to wear with all the assorted crap on it could have done handily with a polymer insert. And I quickly became a fan of suspenders for that crap. I have given serious thought to crafting some concealable suspenders for load bearing use.

I own two belts: one black and one brown Alien Gear 1.5" gunbelts. I held them up like you did and they sag like your middle example, which is a good thing - it's the only way something will go around my hips and under my paunch.:eek:

Like GOG stated above, I too also have that drawer(s) full of belts (and holsters) that's seemed like a good idea at the time. After hundreds of dollars and countless man-hours fretting over this-and-that, I realized that I have done nothing more than keep the gun belt and holster industry alive. I suppose that it's not necessarily a bad thing. It could also be an observation on human nature.
Unless I some how get appointed to super top awesome cop in charge of something cool, I'll just stick to my Versacarry and stretch belt. Anybody want to buy a couple of drawers full of belts and holsters (sized dork)?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top