JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
provided the thread pattern is a match it should work fine. I would lean toward a can that you can take apart for cleaning though. The 22s tend to be a bit dirtier and gunk up cans over time it will save you from sending it in to the manufacturer for a cleaning some time down the road. The only other consideration I would think about is that 223 cans are usually bigger and heavier than one specifically for a 22. I wouldn't have any concerns about it myself but some would be worried about the balance of the weapon.

Not only is 22LR generally dirtier, a small amount of lead from the bullet vaporizes and deposits inside the the silencer everytime it is shot, and builds up quicker than you would imagine. There are many excellent take-apart 22LR silencers on the market and like Swedish K, I'd recommend using one of those instead. High on my recommend list would be the new stainless steel version of the SilencerCo Sparrow.

Here is an even sillier question for you. Why would a person ever buy a .223 can? It is very limited on the guns you can use it on.

Buying a .30 cal can make much more sense. Most are only slightly larger and slightly heavier then a .223 can. You can use the .30 cal can on any caliber that is smaller including .223 and most are rated up to .300 Win Mag (check with your maker). Yes the exit hole on the .223 is a closer match but the extra volume in the .30 usually makes up for it. I had plans on a .223 can but after getting my .30 and hearing .223 cans it is not worth the extra cost for me to get one.

If a guy had a .22 can, a .30 can and a pistol cal can (I prefer 9mm) you will be pretty set on the amount of guns you can use.

Here is an even sillier question for you. Why would a person ever buy a .223 can? It is very limited on the guns you can use it on.

Buying a .30 cal can make much more sense. Most are only slightly larger and slightly heavier then a .223 can. You can use the .30 cal can on any caliber that is smaller including .223 and most are rated up to .300 Win Mag (check with your maker). Yes the exit hole on the .223 is a closer match but the extra volume in the .30 usually makes up for it. I had plans on a .223 can but after getting my .30 and hearing .223 cans it is not worth the extra cost for me to get one.

If a guy had a .22 can, a .30 can and a pistol cal can (I prefer 9mm) you will be pretty set on the amount of guns you can use.

thanks for the tip on using a .30cal can on a .223, thats good info that i needed to know before i buy.

The only reason I would buy a .223 can is for a short dedicated AR15 only setup like SureFire has. I use my SRT Shadow .30 can on the AR15 now and it's quieter than any .223 can I've heard. A lot heavier and longer though.

Interesting... So a .30 cal can will work with smaller calibers? That may change my plans a bit. On average, how much heavier/bigger are the .30 cal cans than .223 cans? Similarly, if one buys a .40 cal can will it work well with a 9mm too?

Interesting... So a .30 cal can will work with smaller calibers? That may change my plans a bit. On average, how much heavier/bigger are the .30 cal cans than .223 cans?

Just depends on the brands and models you are comparing. There are .308 cans out there that are smaller and lighter then some .223 cans, but the cost is going to be higher. For the average user IMHO there is not enough difference in size/wight between the 2 to justify a $700+ for a silencer that will only work on a limited range of calibers.

Similarly, if one buys a .40 cal can will it work well with a 9mm too?

Just keep in mind that they will have different thread pitches so you will either have to make sure the barrel you get it threaded properly or you will need an adapter if the can does not have interchangeable mounts.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top