JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
DSC06557.jpg
Belgium Flintlock .20 Trade Gun.Circa 1900. DSC06619 (1).jpg
1850's era St. Louis .50 caliber Plains Rifle. DSC03431.jpg
1760's era Pocket Pistol by Joseph Barbar of London. DSC06561.jpg
Combination Gun .12 gauge smooth bore / .44 rifled... Circa 1850's . Note the locks are new replacements. P1110224[1].JPG
Inside of a Flintlock ... In this case a lock from Brander & Potts ... Made guns and locks from 1800-1830 London. P1110225[1].JPG
Inside of a percussion lock... In this case a unmarked lock from a Trade Pistol circa 1860's.
Andy

P1110070.JPG
Top: A flintlock trade rifle made by J.P. Lower circa 1840's-50's
Bottom : Child Pratt & Co. St. Louis rifle .32 caliber circa 1840's-50's P1110071.JPG
Three different styles of patch boxes from Pennsylvaina Longrifles of the flintlock era.
Left to right:
#1 A Lancaster County style patch box circa 1780
#2 A Berks County style patch box circa 1800-1820's
#3 A Bedford County style patch box circa 1800-1820's DSC06576.jpg
1873 Springfield Infantry rifle ... AKA "Trapdoor Springfield". This one is from 1883
Note: sling is a incorrect replacement and the arrow is a modern replica P1110069.JPG
Middle gun : A flintlock Northwest Trade Gun , made by Parker Field 1834 ... Converted later to percussion

Last Edited:
Cigars,
Sure do ... The sights on most antique Muzzle loaders are" fixed".
Although you can drift them for windage or add to the front sight or file it down for elevation issues.
One learns what load the rifle likes and where to hold in order to hit at a given range.
Andy

Such beautiful work on those old guns. Amazing to think how much labor by real craftsmen must have gone into those things.
Yes indeed.
That gun in particular is a Trade Gun and not a fine grade or "Chiefs Grade" gun ... So it would be a "base model".
But given that , lots of hand finishing and fit were done on Trade Guns and Rifles.
Andy

Yes indeed.
That gun in particular is a Trade Gun and not a fine grade or "Chiefs Grade" gun ... So it would be a "base model".
But given that , lots of hand finishing and fit were done on Trade Guns and Rifles.
Andy

Former Machinist by trade so it always impresses me. Since I know how hard this would be to do by hand even with modern machines. Can just imagine what they had to do. Last time I was in college for more training our instructor had us make our own tooling from chunks of tool steel. Then use it to make our own tools like T bolts and hammers. One test was he would grind the end of a drill bit flat. Hand it to you and you had to re make it and drill a hole with it to show it would work strait. A lot of the younger guys hated this part. All they wanted to learn was the computerized stuff. I enjoyed the crap out of the learning how to do this even if I was never going to do it in the trade. Still have a few of the things I made all those years ago. So I guess I can understand better than some how impressive those guys were. Real skill learned at the hands of a master.

Last Edited:
No matchlocks?
No not yet.
I am trying to focus on the American frontier with a heavy focus on guns from the 1830's on-wards.
I have fired a matchlock replica .. and there were some here in America early .. but I would want an original match the other originals shown or in my collection... and that gets expensive...:eek::D
Andy

No not yet.
I am trying to focus on the American frontier with a heavy focus on guns from the 1830's on-wards.
I have fired a matchlock replica .. and there were some here in America early .. but I would want an original match the other originals shown or in my collection... and that gets expensive...:eek::D
Andy

Rains too much here anyhow. :D

You have some beautiful boomers.

Yes you do. If I decide to sell my family eirloom believe me you would be the first call I would make. Knowing it was in good hands would make all the difference in the world. ;):)

Iron mounted.jpg
Two iron mounted rifles.
Top : Tennessee rifle , circa 1840. Notice the grease hole in the stock
Bottom : Virginia rifle , circa 1800. Converted from flint to percussion
Sights.jpg
Front sights ... Notice that they are low and have mostly "rounded" edges.
Sights 2.jpg
two front sights of bone or ivory. Rod Ends.jpg
Ramrods ... Notice no "cleaning jag grooves" on the tips , just plain brass or steel.
Also take note of the taper on the bottom end.
The middle end has a "ball puller"
The bottom rod has a patch puller / cleaning worm attached.
Original ramrods as rule, are much more slender than the ones made or used today

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top