JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Came across the story Saturday morning, truly a sad tail.

<broken link removed>

What raises questions in my mind is why he had so much cash on him or didn't try and create a signal fire?

Tip: Never explore the back roads with out gear and a map, even if you are just going for a scenic drive.

I don't see a survival story. I see a sad story with a man who's at the end of his rope. He's a transient and estranged from his family and doesn't have enough motivation in life to walk 3 miles to a major highway where he can rescue himself. Sounds like he just gave up and gave in. Such a sad and horrible way to go. Had he greeted the road crew with a hand shake and a camp fire, then I may share in the marvel of a survival story.

It's nothing particular to the Cascades. Low-landers die in the mountains everywhere. (Spoken as a low-lander that at least knows what he might be getting into, when he ventures out.)

MrB+

Stupidity?

low altitude mountains are deceiving.. weather changes fast, and people don't prepare for worst case scenarios. same reason people still die on Hood every year- it's considered facile in the climbing community, so people summit in t-shirts and short with nothing more than a rain jacket and lunch in their packs.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top