JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Came across the story Saturday morning, truly a sad tail.

<broken link removed>

What raises questions in my mind is why he had so much cash on him or didn't try and create a signal fire?

Tip: Never explore the back roads with out gear and a map, even if you are just going for a scenic drive.

I don't see a survival story. I see a sad story with a man who's at the end of his rope. He's a transient and estranged from his family and doesn't have enough motivation in life to walk 3 miles to a major highway where he can rescue himself. Sounds like he just gave up and gave in. Such a sad and horrible way to go. Had he greeted the road crew with a hand shake and a camp fire, then I may share in the marvel of a survival story.

It's nothing particular to the Cascades. Low-landers die in the mountains everywhere. (Spoken as a low-lander that at least knows what he might be getting into, when he ventures out.)

MrB+

Stupidity?

low altitude mountains are deceiving.. weather changes fast, and people don't prepare for worst case scenarios. same reason people still die on Hood every year- it's considered facile in the climbing community, so people summit in t-shirts and short with nothing more than a rain jacket and lunch in their packs.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top