Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

A Right Delayed Is A Right Denied (I-594)

Discussion in 'Legal & Political Archive' started by twoclones, Jul 21, 2014.

1. twoclones

twoclones Tri-Cities, WA Well-Known Member

I-594, if passed, would double the current 5 day waiting period to 10 working days (2 weeks).

So, you pass the NICS background check in 5 minutes (often quicker); I-594 mandates the Sheriff give his personal blessing in writing within 30 days (after browsing your personal mental health records). When the CLEO responds 30 days later, you now have to wait 2 additional weeks. A SIX WEEK WAIT BEFORE EXERCISING YOUR CONSTITUTIONALLY PROTECTED CIVIL RIGHT.

Who would support that if it were one of the other Civil Rights?

I-594WaitingPeriod.jpg

2. balaperdida

balaperdida eastern idaho Well-Known Member

If I-594 passes, it's only a small step further for requiring the CLEO blessing to buy long guns. Another small step gets to complete registration.

3. twoclones

Not disagreeing with you but I think 594 is a full step into CLEO blessing requirements and complete registration.

4. bunnybunny

bunnybunny Washington Member

What are the chances I-594 will pass?

5. 8ball

8ball WA Quit talkin' and start chalking!

It's ahead in the polls, and they have a lot more money than us.

6. Velillen

Velillen Port Orchard, WA Member

Where are these polls I always here about? I've still yet to have anyone e contact me or any of the hundreds of pro guns guys I work with.

7. balaperdida

balaperdida eastern idaho Well-Known Member

8. Doc In UPlace

Doc In UPlace Tacoma-ish Well-Known Member

The wording on 594 requiring police sign-off on purchases (it is purchases, if I remember correctly) would create a boondoggle beyond the imagination.

Most of the people who might vote for this thing really have no idea of the negative impact it'd make in the ability of police to do their normal jobs, even assuming the Chiefs and Sheriffs would even try to comply.

Seems like the thing may trigger a petition campaign and then special election to repeal it, if it came down to it.

9. twoclones

Is there a way to look up how many NICS checks are processed per day in Washington or even Seattle? Wouldn't that be the same number of applications the CLEO would have to run per day?