JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
The guys at The Firearms Blog reviewed a rifle I've never seen before, but it's a neat concept. Something tells me Bolus either already has one, has it on his wish list, or will by the time he sees this...

It's the ARES SCR Gen 2 - I guess the Gen 1 kinda sucked - no bolt hold open, gritty crap trigger, and no iron sights from the factory.

The gist though - is that the guys at ARES figured out how to make a sporter stock AR-15 action, so folks in less free states can get their mitts on a decent non neutered semi auto defensive rifle. Probably still not legal in Cali though.

You can drop any AR-15 upper in it, but it requires the use of their proprietary bolt - as they lopped the bubblegum end off, fitted it with a rat tail, and the recoil spring rides in the stock and angles down.

An extended charging handle looks like it's almost necessary if you run a standard scope on the gun, but that's pretty much just like any AR-15 too.

5.5lb gun from the factory will appeal to the light weight lovers - since getting a 5.5lb AR can be quite an endeavor, or at least an expensive one.

Looks like it takes P-mags or standard metal AR mags. 2-3 MOA with Wolff ammo in the video above, from a sandbag rest. Not bad.

It's an EBR for the guys who can't get or don't care for typical AR type EBR's. It would look killer though with a nice walnut or laminate stock set.

I saw this thing on gunblast a couple years ago, I really like it. It kind of combines mini14 aesthetics with ar15 function. I don't live in a ban state, and have no plan to move to one, but that doesn't mean I can't like this rifle. I really dig that they used an old solution to the recoil spring problem in a new and innovative way. One thing you couldn't see in that video is that the firing pin retaining pin has been moved down and it doubles as the hinge pin for the recoil rat-tail.

An extended charging handle looks like it's almost necessary if you run a standard scope on the gun, but that's pretty much just like any AR-15 too.

Never needed one due to a scope. Only due to a BUIS covering the CH.

I like the idea. I'd probably get one (depending on cost) since I occasionally prefer a different type of grip. Plus it looks better than thr alternatives for those who are stuck in the ban states.

So, if it can swap uppers with just about any other AR-15 upper, I wonder if they'll consider selling just the lower/stock and special bolt assembly as a separate item? That way, those that already have one or more AR uppers could swap them on to this piece when and if they want a more 'traditional' feel to their rifle - maybe for hunting, for example?

Not sure I'm sold on this idea, but it is interesting. I'll be curious to see if it catches on.

It's pretty FUGLY in my opinion, but could be fun to see how light one could make that thing by adding a carbon fiber free float tube and a LW low profile gas block.

So, if it can swap uppers with just about any other AR-15 upper, I wonder if they'll consider selling just the lower/stock and special bolt assembly as a separate item? That way, those that already have one or more AR uppers could swap them on to this piece when and if they want a more 'traditional' feel to their rifle - maybe for hunting, for example?

Not sure I'm sold on this idea, but it is interesting. I'll be curious to see if it catches on.

$525

True, it's a niche item so considering the demand for those bad states I'm sure it's the cheap/only alternative.

I like. I was never much of a fan of the separate pistol grip. I keep thinking my FNAR needs the stock from a sporter Browning BAR.:)

Looks like it competes with the SU-16 too. But $525 for the lower? What does a similar-quality AR-15 lower go for these days?

I like. I was never much of a fan of the separate pistol grip. I keep thinking my FNAR needs the stock from a sporter Browning BAR.:)
That FNAR can be had with a sporter style stock. I looked into it a couple years ago to replace my LR308. They sell it as "50 state legal" or some bullbubblegum. If you could get the 5rd mags from the BAR to work with it, I think it would be a super nice do-all rifle. One needs the option to go full capacity and still have the flush fitting lower cap mags for hunting.

They make 5rd mags for the rifle.

This is the one I like:
https://www.fnamerica.com/products/autoloading-rifles/fnar-competition/

But this new one is interesting too, don't know if they are for sale yet:
https://www.all4shooters.com/en/Shooting/rifles/FN-FNAR-Match-hunting-rifle/
Yeah, I went google-snooping after I posted. They have changed up a few things since I last looked at them. I really dig that laminate stock on the comp model. I do think it's strange that they haven't made one with a threaded muzzle though. The 3gun guys won't touch a gun they can't put a muzzle brake on.

Soon, you will be able to set up your M14/M1A in a similar fashion.
Monte%20Carlo%20RS.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads