JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I went to do a lint check on LCP .380 and as I racked the slide a curious thing happened.
The projectile remained in the barrel and the case extracted dumping its powder charge down the magazine. When I tilted the chamber back the lodged bullet dropped free but this is something that has happened 3 time to date.
The first instance was with Blazer aluminum cased 147gr (×2 from the same box) in a PT92, but this is Underwood 100gr lead fn.
I plunked the rest of the ammo and to my surprise they did NOT pass and had to be tapped out.
I carry these rounds as accuracy was good and they cycled well (my LCP has been ammo picky).
Not sure if this is a Ruger issue or Underwood issue but as a friendly reminder check your EDC ammo and weapon frequently! Stay safe out there.
20190509_222737.jpg

For what it's worth; my SP squadron had an armory full of Beretta M-9s and loaded mags. Every shift we drew the same pistol. Most of the loaded mags were issued every shift to whichever SP was next at the issue window. We'd chamber the top round in the magazine, carry it all shift, then at the end of shift unload the pistol, put that round back in the magazine (on top), and the top round in every magazine would be chambered and unloaded every shift. In years of this practice I never saw a cartridge fall apart. Regular US issue brass cased 115 grain ball. Every six months we shot up the duty ammo and replaced it with fresh.

So I went to do a lint check on LCP .380 and as I racked the slide a curious thing happened.
The projectile remained in the barrel and the case extracted dumping its powder charge down the magazine. When I tilted the chamber back the lodged bullet dropped free but this is something that has happened 3 time to date.
The first instance was with Blazer aluminum cased 147gr (×2 from the same box) in a PT92, but this is Underwood 100gr lead fn.
I plunked the rest of the ammo and to my surprise they did NOT pass and had to be tapped out.
I carry these rounds as accuracy was good and they cycled well (my LCP has been ammo picky).
Not sure if this is a Ruger issue or Underwood issue

# 1 looks like a little mushrooming going on.
#2 maybe some damaged bullets before loading and possibly not a decent crimp.
#3 Looks like a strike on the feed ramp and may have caused to stick when trying to remove by racking.
I myself do not like to carry lead ammo especially if not revolving rounds often. Chemical reactions with steel, lead and moisture from your body or even just humidity can cause corrosion to build.

20190509_222737.jpg

# 1 looks like a little mushrooming going on.
#2 maybe some damaged bullets before loading and possibly not a decent crimp.
#3 Looks like a strike on the feed ramp and may have caused to stick when trying to remove by racking.
I myself do not like to carry lead ammo especially if not revolving rounds often. Chemical reactions with steel, lead and moisture from your body or even just humidity can cause corrosion to build.

View attachment 577949
I liked these rounds because every LEO I talked to said they carried FMJ in their .380 and to a certain extent I agree with them (not endorsing FMJ for defense) but when I saw that flat nose lead seemed to get better results then standard ball I was drawn to that bullet type.
And I noticed the deformed nose as well, they went from magazine to chamber without a fuss but it's clear now this combo would be unwise to continue carrying.

Racking rounds in and out of the chamber multiple times can weaken whatever crimp may be present in the cartridge. Even if it happens just once, if the bullet is shoved up to the grooves/lands of the beginning of he barrel in the chamber, if it gets friction stuck whatsoever, that force may be enough to separate the bullet and case if manually extracting the cartridge instead of firing it.

I had it happen with a home load 9mm. It doesn't mean the ammo is bad, it just means that the force of friction on the bullet from the barrel/chamber is greater than the force of friction from the brass case on the bullet and if you don't shoot it, it might do what it did. I wouldn't make a habit of ejecting live rounds. I understand this was a lint check, but to me that reads, " should use this at the range, I haven't shot the gun in a long time" :)

Racking rounds in and out of the chamber multiple times can weaken whatever crimp may be present in the cartridge. Even if it happens just once, if the bullet is shoved up to the grooves/lands of the beginning of he barrel in the chamber, if it gets friction stuck whatsoever, that force may be enough to separate the bullet and case if manually extracting the cartridge instead of firing it.

I had it happen with a home load 9mm. It doesn't mean the ammo is bad, it just means that the force of friction on the bullet from the barrel/chamber is greater than the force of friction from the brass case on the bullet and if you don't shoot it, it might do what it did. I wouldn't make a habit of ejecting live rounds. I understand this was a lint check, but to me that reads, " should use this at the range, I haven't shot the gun in a long time" :)
Whoa whoa are you implying that I dont regularly shoot that painful little pop gun?
Cause you'd be right...:s0001:

Wow.... I'm thinking the lead sticks and eventually surpasses the crimp. Which is what others here also alluded to amongst the answers.

My copper jacket stuff has never done that and my gun had often looked like Snuffleupagus with all the lint from my crap.

I once had the bullets so loose they got shoved back in the casing with a rifle when I neck sized only and didn't full length size but that is a bit off topic. (I'm just glad it didn't exceed chamber pressure and blow up anything critical)

Hmm, interesting & thanks for posting!

Perhaps going forwards have your chambered round be an FMJ (in that pistol), with the follow ups being as posted?

Give due diligence to true range trial with that setup before putting your and lovedones life behind such tho...

Racking rounds in and out of the chamber multiple times can weaken whatever crimp may be present in the cartridge.
This and the gun might have a slightly short chamber and the bullets are beginning to engage in the rifling upon chambering.
This is common in some CZs (mine for one) and I have experienced loosening bullets from racking them in and out.
Being a reloader I was able to resolve this and if you still want to use those rounds I would suggest you load the first in the chamber manually and then slide in the mag. This will reduce 'hammering' the rounds in the chamber and keep them intact for carry. Also you might want to concentrate on cleaning the chamber very well to remove any powder buildup (or any debris) that might be helping to 'grip' the bullet. You might also consider removing the barrel and perform a 'drop test' of the rounds to see IF they are headspacing correctly.

Last Edited:
Seating length on those rounds seem to be a bit long for your guns' liking. Seat them shorter and with a little more crimp, check for feeding issues and carry on.

I saw he stated that they were factory rounds, but they are still to long for his pistol. Just suggesting to bump the bullet slightly deeper and apply a little more crimp.

I suspect his gun is short throated like you eluded to in an earlier post.
Looks like these are not reloads as the OP mentioned it was Blazer ammo.

Probably easier to just switch out to some reliable self defense ammo that his gun likes. Maybe something with a narrower bullet nose profile like an HST, or Critical Defense that may not "stick" in the throat of his pistol.

Nope not reloads, Underwood factory ammo I'll find the box shortly and take a picture of it.
I'm looking at Hornady options at the moment.
After seeing ShootingTheBull410 videos on 380 XTP loadings they're pretty good performers.

Typically a slight engagement of the bullet in the rifling is not a problem (as long as the round headspaces properly) but repeated cycling of the rounds will loosen (and possibly pull) the bullets as you experienced.
Ideally there should be no engagement of the bullet in the rifling however.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top