JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Typically a slight engagement of the bullet in the rifling is not a problem (as long as the round headspaces properly) but repeated cycling of the rounds will loosen (and possibly pull) the bullets as you experienced.
Ideally there should be no engagement of the bullet in the rifling however.
That's one reason I like ammunition with a cannalure as if something changes with seating depth it may be caught with a visual inspection.

20190510_072954.jpg
Example left has been recessed from repeated chamberings while the right has stayed about the same, also note the flex tip deformation on the left vs right.

Gents, stay away from fancy sht.
What works good for our soldiers works good for me.
That's why ball ammo.
In my case it's Sellier&Bellot 115gr FMJ.
You will never have problems.
MHO

View attachment 578024
Example left has been recessed from repeated chamberings while the right has stayed about the same, also note the flex tip deformation on the left vs right.
Those look like someones reloads.....Note the heavy roll crimp rather than what they should look like. Maybe your pistol needs some looking at if that's what it's doing to factory ammo.

hornady.jpg 20190510_072954.jpg

Those rounds don't look right.
Its appears to me the one on the right has excessive OAL and the crimp appears too deep into the bullet and has not left any pronounced rim to properly headspace.
If you have a 'mike' measure the OAL length of the round on the right and post that number.

Nope not reloads, Underwood factory ammo I'll find the box shortly and take a picture of it.
I'm looking at Hornady options at the moment.
After seeing ShootingTheBull410 videos on 380 XTP loadings they're pretty good performers.

Take some other ammo that's factory and check against these. See if the OAL length on the one is longer. It sure sounds like it is jamming the slug into the rifling so its getting stuck.

Ive only had all lead bullets stick in a chamber like that: 45 and 9mm. Since I dont reload I talked to a buddy and he just mentioned that the stuff gets sticky, old ammo too.
Its why I only use those at the range and pop off any all lead round I have instead of ejecting it.

The jacketed defensive stuff never sticks in anything Ive owned. But I hear what you're saying.

Nope not reloads, Underwood factory ammo I'll find the box shortly and take a picture of it.
I'm looking at Hornady options at the moment.
After seeing ShootingTheBull410 videos on 380 XTP loadings they're pretty good performers.
Take a look at tnoutdoors9 he's done lots of ballistics tests and did a .380 comparison IIRC. Winchester PDX1 seemed to perform pretty week and seems to always be readily available...

and he just mentioned that the stuff gets sticky, old ammo too.
True and excessive OAL (or a short chamber) that allows the bullet to engage with the rifling can cause this to happen - even with jacketed or plated but it is less likely.
Lead no doubt compounds problems - especially in semi autos and in this day and age of plated bullets lead should never be used in semis.

Take a look at tnoutdoors9 he's done lots of ballistics tests and did a .380 comparison IIRC. Winchester PDX1 seemed to perform pretty week and seems to always be readily available...
Tnoutdoors9 is one of my favorite sources for ammo testing. He finally started posting videos again, I believe his latest was on the new Hydra Shock Deep Penetration.

True and excessive OAL (or a short chamber) that allows the bullet to engage with the rifling can cause this to happen - even with jacketed or plated but it is less likely.
Lead no doubt compounds problems - especially in semi autos and in this day and age of plated bullets lead should never be used in semis.
But Gold Dots are plated...:eek::D

But Gold Dots are plated..
Yes I am aware of this and like I said this problem can be had with plated or jacketed if OAL is exceeded or due to a short chamber. Plated (and jacketed) however eliminates a lot of problems typically experienced with lead in semi autos. One of the reasons those who load lead for semi autos spend extra time wiping the loads clean of any debris or sticky lube and storing in clean ammo boxes.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top