JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Guy pumping gas in Ohio gets assaulted and shoots one of the two punks attacking him. It's all caught on <broken link removed> .

What makes this interesting is he is a forum member (another forum) and explains everything in this post. It's nice to have a first-hand account of what happened and how law enforcement handled the situation.

We can all learn from his unfortunate experience.

I'm glad he's OK, and that he was apparently released without any charges being filed. It certainly seems he acted calmly and properly, and I commend him.
I only read a few pages into the thread, so maybe this was addressed and I didn't get to it, but I would advise this gentleman to stop answering random questions on a public forum. Unfortunately, given our criminal-as-victim legal system, this situation may not be over for him yet.
And to all those curious about his actions, feelings, motivations, shoe size, favorite caliber, etc...STOP. At this point, my humble opinion is, the less he says, the better.

im glad he kept himself composed when he started walking at the guy after firing and didnt let the adrenaline force him into putting another one in the guy

"Davis admitted that he was highly intoxicated during the attack, which police say is what prevented him from going into shock and dieing on the scene after being shot."

<broken link removed>

CHL holder uses firearm in defense against attack

I am glad the guy is alright. However, I see a few fails on his part:

1. He allowed a stranger inside of his space. I never allow people I do not know get that close to me. I'll take a step or two back and say "Stop right there, that is f#$%ing close enough!!" and I'll there will be no doubt I mean it. If they wish to continue they do so at their own peril.

2. He did the right thing by getting off the X and bailing from the scene, but I believe calling the police was a mistake. I would have called my attorney and let him arrange the time and place for the statement with him present on our terms. I DO NOT talk to police, period. Now as it turns out it seems to have worked out for him but it could have easily gone the other way.

3. There is no way I would be posting anything on the net immediately following the incident. Someone just might change their mind and try to prosecute to say nothing of a possible civil suit.

I am glad he prevailed in the first phase of the gunfight, I hope he equally successful in phase 2 and 3.

You bring up great points but hindsight seems to always be 20/20. I think the guy did remarkably well considering the scenario. Lots to learn from this.

A gallon of gas on the front of the attacker would have saved him from having to shoot the guy.
As soon as he got too close,pull the nozzle out and start waving it.Letting a little go,then more until he leaves.
People tend to leave others alone when they are flammable.

Station owner did it in the 70's.Two guys cut into the front of the line acting tough,until the guy let a gallon go inside the van.They didn't need gas that bad and left.

Or if you just drive off,the nozzle breaking off shuts down the flow.(saw this first hand) Close the door and drive off.

But mostly,like titsonritz wrote,keep people out of your personal space,unless you are a grapling expert and very fast.

We are the largest armed society with the biggest murder rate in the world. Are you sure that quote is correct?

And we know this because Somalia, Iran, Sierra Leone, North Korea, etc, etc, keep and publish such accurate stats on the subject.

I don't know what country we should be compared to for accuracy's sake but Scott does bring up an interesting point.

Yeah,but far from accurate on so many levels.As titzonritz stated,how many countries really post the real figures?Who would travel there if they knew?

Go look at the figures that are published and you will see that most of the murders are in areas that can not own guns or have many restrictions on them.

As for other countries? Who knows if they publish accurate figures or if their governments give them the real figures,in the first place?

Yeah,but far from accurate on so many levels.As titzonritz stated,how many countries really post the real figures?Who would travel there if they knew?

Go look at the figures that are published and you will see that most of the murders are in areas that can not own guns or have many restrictions on them.

As for other countries? Who knows if they publish accurate figures or if their governments give them the real figures,in the first place?

Most armed country on the planet, most people incarcerated on the planet, may or may not have the highest murder rate, in the top 10 or so for neonatal death, not in the top 25 for least expensive health care. Sounds a lot like a 3rd world country.

Personally I think the Shooter is a moron for posting about it in a form... until it was done and the case is completely closed i would keep my mouth shut...and then i think it would still be iffy to talk about it... JMO

That is why you do force on force training, so it is not hindsight but rather a contingency plan. You should already KNOW what you are going to do immediately following a lethal force encounter. After a shooting is not the time to figure it out.

Agreed. How many people get to train in FOF though? I have done it once and in that brief encounter I learned a ton but it would take several more scenarios for me to a) be a good witness/respondent and, b) then do a debrief so that I could go through and detail how I would actually respond to police.

It would seem to me that if someone offered some Airsoft FOF training and then added in the realism of police recruits trying their hand at incident investigation questioning could combine the best of two worlds ... civilian and police training.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top