Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

A real world self defense example

Discussion in 'Education & Training' started by rufus, Jun 30, 2011.

1. rufus

rufus State of Jefferson Well-Known Member

Guy pumping gas in Ohio gets assaulted and shoots one of the two punks attacking him. It's all caught on surveillance video.

What makes this interesting is he is a forum member (another forum) and explains everything in this post. It's nice to have a first-hand account of what happened and how law enforcement handled the situation.

We can all learn from his unfortunate experience.

2. Reco

Reco Portland Oregon Active Member

hmm Armed society is a polite society.... works for me! =D

twoclones and (deleted member) like this.
  3. Meridian7750

Meridian7750 Portland Area Well-Known Member

I'm glad he's OK, and that he was apparently released without any charges being filed. It certainly seems he acted calmly and properly, and I commend him.
    I only read a few pages into the thread, so maybe this was addressed and I didn't get to it, but I would advise this gentleman to stop answering random questions on a public forum. Unfortunately, given our criminal-as-victim legal system, this situation may not be over for him yet.
    And to all those curious about his actions, feelings, motivations, shoe size, favorite caliber, etc...STOP. At this point, my humble opinion is, the less he says, the better.

Dyjital, HollisOR, mjbskwim and 5 others like this.
  4. samuelm16

samuelm16 se pdx Well-Known Member

im glad he kept himself composed when he started walking at the guy after firing and didnt let the adrenaline force him into putting another one in the guy

5. donMiguel

donMiguel SouthKingWA Active Member

Click on the jewelry ad when it finishes. Then click the forward (PLAY) button in the lower left to start the video.

6. ikari2_2000

ikari2_2000 Seattle, WA Member

7. Kevatc

Kevatc Oregon Well-Known Member

You bring up great points but hindsight seems to always be 20/20. I think the guy did remarkably well considering the scenario. Lots to learn from this.

8. MarkAd

MarkAd Port Orchard Well-Known Member

I know this place. i have been there.

9. mjbskwim

mjbskwim Salmon,Idaho Well-Known Member

A gallon of gas on the front of the attacker would have saved him from having to shoot the guy.
    As soon as he got too close,pull the nozzle out and start waving it.Letting a little go,then more until he leaves.
    People tend to leave others alone when they are flammable.

Station owner did it in the 70's.Two guys cut into the front of the line acting tough,until the guy let a gallon go inside the van.They didn't need gas that bad and left.

Or if you just drive off,the nozzle breaking off shuts down the flow.(saw this first hand) Close the door and drive off.

But mostly,like titsonritz wrote,keep people out of your personal space,unless you are a grapling expert and very fast.

10. Scott

Scott Battle Ground Well-Known Member

We are the largest armed society with the biggest murder rate in the world. Are you sure that quote is correct?

11. mjbskwim

I will bet that the murder rates are higher in the locations that people can't be armed in this country

twoclones and (deleted member) like this.
  12. Kevatc

I don't know what country we should be compared to for accuracy's sake but Scott does bring up an interesting point.

13. mjbskwim

Yeah,but far from accurate on so many levels.As titzonritz stated,how many countries really post the real figures?Who would travel there if they knew?

Go look at the figures that are published and you will see that most of the murders are in areas that can not own guns or have many restrictions on them.

As for other countries? Who knows if they publish accurate figures or if their governments give them the real figures,in the first place?

14. Kevatc

Most armed country on the planet, most people incarcerated on the planet, may or may not have the highest murder rate, in the top 10 or so for neonatal death, not in the top 25 for least expensive health care. Sounds a lot like a 3rd world country.

15. mjbskwim

Soon brother ,soon

16. glockguy

glockguy Albany Oregon Well-Known Member

Personally I think the Shooter is a moron for posting about it in a form... until it was done and the case is completely closed i would keep my mouth shut...and then i think it would still be iffy to talk about it... JMO

mjbskwim and (deleted member) like this.
  17. marty8587

marty8587 NE Portland Active Member

Sounds yo me like the Police are on the right page this time.

18. Kevatc

Agreed. How many people get to train in FOF though? I have done it once and in that brief encounter I learned a ton but it would take several more scenarios for me to a) be a good witness/respondent and, b) then do a debrief so that I could go through and detail how I would actually respond to police.

It would seem to me that if someone offered some Airsoft FOF training and then added in the realism of police recruits trying their hand at incident investigation questioning could combine the best of two worlds ... civilian and police training.

19. Trlsmn

Trlsmn In Utero (Portland) Well-Known Member

[video=youtube;YIdLsj9F3XM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIdLsj9F3XM[/video]

20. Redcap

Redcap Lewis County, WA Well-Known Member

Not even close.