JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
"A citizen who shirks his duty to contribute to the security of his community is little better than the criminal who threatens it"

I read this quote I thought, "That's just one reason I carry".

I always liked the quote " Most people don't change because they see the light, but quickly change when they feel the heat" I read that one 20 + years ago and it has stuck with me.

We should extend that approach to a national level and implement obligatory military service. I used to think that the conscientious objectors should get off with just some form of national service but then I realized that would just be a way for rich chicken hawks of the Dick Cheney ilk to get out of military service.

Orygun, if I'm thread-jacking, let me know & I'll delete this. But I hope it's relevant and/or makes sense...
We should extend that approach to a national level and implement obligatory military service. I used to think that the conscientious objectors should get off with just some form of national service but then I realized that would just be a way for rich chicken hawks of the Dick Cheney ilk to get out of military service.

Yup. Regardless of political affiliations, those with $$ can always find (or manufacture) a loop-hole...I used to be-- emphasis on 'used to be'-- a pacifist because of religious beliefs. I come from a long line of pastors, planned on following that path, was a deacon myself, etc. I don't think it matters what denomination it was; during that time I met real pacifists who were at every point on the political/religious/philosophical spectrum.

Maaaany years ago when I registered for Selective Service, I still went and talked to recruiters and explained my desire to serve as well as my religious beliefs. The two were, at the time, incompatible in their view, which I completely understand. My older brother served honorably in the USAF for many years-- he had a different view and was able to reconcile his own views in a way that I wasn't able to grasp... at the time. I was an 18-yo utopian idealist, now maybe I'm a utopian realist who carries every day & would do what is needed to protect myself & the people I care about. Live and learn, yeah?

Fast forward a few years, and Glock32's quote became very real for me:

glock32 said:
..."Most people don't change because they see the light, but quickly change when they feel the heat"

My thinking changed because of a wide variety of factors that I'd rather not get too detailed about. But there are still ways for all of us to serve, if not in active military service, at least we can volunteer as Veteran's advocates, or in any number of other ways. Including the original quote that Orygun started this thread with-

orygun said:
"A citizen who shirks his duty to contribute to the security of his community is little better than the criminal who threatens it"

So it comes full circle back to that :s0155:

That's pure B*** S***.
Why not build and run the country in a way that inspires people to WANT to work for it. And protect it, and the way of life it offers.

No. The idiots in charge just want to screw it up for the benefit of a few.
And your way would force the littles to fight and die for for those who benefit.
No rich kids without a sense of duty fought in Viet Nam. They went to college or overseas,...
Where some inhaled, and some didn't.
Nice try with the "Dick" comment though.

I read this quote I thought, "That's just one reason I carry".

Second post. I am interested in who quoted and the context. As a rights to
own and bear arms supporter we often overlook context. I agree with Jamie
and Gehrheart.

As a conceal carry card holder it was drilled in that if for ANY reason my firearm goes off it must be "justified". Not just "Justified" in my eyes or my neighbors eyes but in the eyes of the law which is why we incur more legal liability than sworn LEO's. I personally took on this responsability for my self and my family not for my city or state. Law Enforcement Agencies across the nation need to step up their game and the government needs to pry open their billfolds without infringeing on the tax payer.

just my .02. and I am open to other opinions.

So you agree with conscription?

Second post. I am interested in who quoted and the context. As a rights to
own and bear arms supporter we often overlook context. I agree with Jamie
and Gehrheart.

As a conceal carry card holder it was drilled in that if for ANY reason my firearm goes off it must be "justified". Not just "Justified" in my eyes or my neighbors eyes but in the eyes of the law which is why we incur more legal liability than sworn LEO's. I personally took on this responsability for my self and my family not for my city or state. Law Enforcement Agencies across the nation need to step up their game and the government needs to pry open their billfolds without infringeing on the tax payer.

just my .02. and I am open to other opinions.

Right. Our gun should go off ONLY if your life is threatened. Do not try to be a hero and shoot after somebody who robs a bank ... or a store. If you can just disarm them and put them on their belly, without making your gun to go off ... that's OK ... otherwise you're in trouble. Remember the case with the guy in Gresham who shot after 2 store robbers ??? He got in trouble because he wanted his 15 minutes of fame.

I knew that eventually Jamie6.5 and I could find something that we agree on! A mandatory national conscription would return America to an earlier era of forced servitude and false-patriotism, and those with the means would always find a way to corrupt it and escape their obligations! The direct result of this in our past was a whole underclass of citizens who felt no loyalty to the nation that meant to enslave them to the military. It is absurd to require the slavery of conscription in order to defend an abstract "freedom"! Freedom can speak for itself, and if the call is honest then citizens will turn up.

Today, the USA has no conscription, and our all-volunteer military is probably the finest in the world. National patriotism is stronger than it has ever been, I feel. And the alienated underclass that used to be conscripted now has an inspiration to live up to, and an escape route from poverty to honor in volunteer military service. The draft was not only wrong, it was dumb. Now, any administration that wants its citizens to go to war must clearly convince the people as to the rightness of the issue. As far as I know, no service has failed to meet its recruitment goals.

I DO THINK that there could be one requirement for national military service that the Constitution could be changed for: NOBODY who has not served honorably in the military services should be allowed to serve in Congress or in the Presidency. It is one thing to ask citizens to sacrifice; it is quite another thing to KNOW personally what that means.....................elsullo

That's pure B*** S***.
Why not build and run the country in a way that inspires people to WANT to work for it. And protect it, and the way of life it offers.

No. The idiots in charge just want to screw it up for the benefit of a few.
And your way would force the littles to fight and die for for those who benefit.
No rich kids without a sense of duty fought in Viet Nam. They went to college or overseas,...
Where some inhaled, and some didn't.
Nice try with the "Dick" comment though.

Off subject but funny
I have always claimed Americans didn't want a drink as bad as they wanted the right to take a drink if they did happen to want one. ~Will Rogers

Here we go
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

I talked to a guy up here that got reprimanded by his gun club president for NOT carrying.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top