JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I passed on my Bersa 380 to my wife and she really likes it a lot. Smooth trigger and not a lot of recoil.
Costs a bit more to shoot than my 9mm
Haven't figure that one out yet. But I would suggest you have your wife try one as well.

Thank you everyone, I think we'll go test drive a .380. I have access to a LC9, and I may just buy a .22 now for prophyciency and wink, wink keep it as a new toy later on when she "grows out of it"

Hi. I purchased my first handgun in December. It is a LC9 with laser. Is small it is light. I took it to the range for the first time this past weekend. I liked it once I understood it. It has kick but then again the barrel is around 3 1/2 inches. You have to hold it right. At first it seemed like the trigger was tight but after putting 100 round through it or so it is easier. It was easy to take apart and clean too. It hold s 7 rounds plus 1 in the chamber makes it 8. One is good if you hit your target the first time. ;) I love how it feels in my hands and it carries well. I have named her Betty. Check the LC9 out on Rugers website. Mines the middle one and the laser can come off too.

I'm doing research for my wife's first hand gun, it will be for conceal carry. She is 5'6" medium build, what would you suggest, what do you prefer? I've been leaning towards a .380 or 9mm semi auto but really want her to shoot a caliber that she can handle and enjoy. Lets hear your thoughts, and guys feel free to chime in as we'll.

Thanks,
OC

Walther 380 or as in my wifes daily carry a full size rock island armory 1911 GI in 9mm

Just wanted to mention how awesome it is to see such supportive, smart answers. Those who think women have no place in shooting could take quite a few lessons from you.

My wife has two handguns
Her first is a S&W J frame lady smith - she shoots this revolver quite accruately - we got her this as we determined that the Walther /S&W ppk/s I got wasnt right. She had problems with manipulating the slide - meaning if there was a jam she was in trouble. If I had been a little smarter back then I would have never gotten the PPK/S as she would never have chosen it for herself. Good intentions poor follow through.

Her second handgun is the one she keeps in the house and sleeps with when I am not there - it is a lew horton 624-3 N Frame 44 special. It use to be mine until she started shooting it. I come home from a trip and go to bed the first night more that likely I will smack my head on it as it is normally under my pillow. It is also amazes her that when we do go shooting at the range that some guy will usually ask her what she is shooting and comment on the size of this revolver and its noise. The thoughts she thinks about these same guys are not printable here.

She feels very comfortable with both of these revolvers and shoots them quite well. These two handguns are not the ones i would have chosen for her, so my point - let her choose - it will save money and time and she will more than likely thank you for the conisderation.

Respectfully

James Ruby

I have a p238 and it is a perfect choice for pocket or purse carry. I traded up to the 938 but didn't enjoy shooting it due to the snap.

The p238 with critical defense rounds is perfect. It is easy to develop confidence in this gun. It is very fun to shoot and amazingly accurate.

I have a p238 and it is a perfect choice for pocket or purse carry. I traded up to the 938 but didn't enjoy shooting it due to the snap.

The p238 with critical defense rounds is perfect. It is easy to develop confidence in this gun. It is very fun to shoot and amazingly accurate.

These were a couple of the guns I though she might like, but no go, she felt it was too blocky. Her faves right now are the Taurus 709 and Walther PK380. Thanks for the input.

I haven't personally shot a .380, can someone with first hand experience give me a good recoil comparison between a LCP or Bersa Thunder or the like and a sub compact 9mm. I have spoke with a local trainer who has guns for rent plus cost of ammo, I just want to try and decide which would be best to rent first since its going to run me about $40.

I can't speak to the Bersa Thunder, but do have some insight on the LCP.

The spousal unit loves carrying her LCP, but hates shooting it. However, to her credit, and after some practice she's very proficient with it. Consequently, that's what she ends up packing most of the time. Other times she packs her Gen IV Glock 19, which she loves to shoot but hates to carry. I think a lot of that has to do with what purse she wants to carry that will go with her clothing (for the day). Fashion and all. Women are kinda into that.

A gun, especially a carry gun like most things is a trade off. But the first rule of a gunfight is HAVE A GUN!

The 380 is lower recoil than a 9mm, but in the size gun people shoot 380 from, its still snappy. But its not the same kick- definitely less kick.

My wife is very comfy with a Kahr P9 Covert, which is no longer made. Nearest would be P9 (longer grip, +1 round) or the PM9 (same grip, shorter barrel). Downside to the PM vs the P is that the PM has a double spring and is a "bit" harder to rack the slide.

She prefers the purse carry, but I don't like this as we have little kids around and I think a loaded gun should be on the person, period. She is 5'1", weighs 110lbs, and finds the 9mm and the 380 both very manageable.

Good luck- and glad to see she's interested. Thats a big big deal- I've got friends who's wifes shot one shot- and then were done for life. So if she's a shooter, you are blessed- again!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top