JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm doing research for my wife's first hand gun, it will be for conceal carry. She is 5'6" medium build, what would you suggest, what do you prefer? I've been leaning towards a .380 or 9mm semi auto but really want her to shoot a caliber that she can handle and enjoy. Lets hear your thoughts, and guys feel free to chime in as we'll.

Thanks,
OC

My wife is 5'6 140#'s, and enjoys shooting. She loved shooting my Glock 23, when I had it, and now she's a big fan of my 6.5" Blackhawk. Recoil is mild in a semi, but she has a tough time racking the slide. My .38 J-frame is small, easy to conceal, but it kicks like a mules and is not pleasant to shoot. I personally wouldn't go smaller than .38 or 9mm.

We have been looking too. My wife really likes the Sig P238 but I am trying to get her to step up to a P938, but we will see. She had tried the others but just doesn't like them , she keeps coming back to the P238, so most likely that is what she will be getting.

I'm not a woman but I would say that one of the best things would be to visit a range where you can rent some guns and let her get a feel for what she'd like. You don't show where in Oregon you are but English Pit over in Vancouver/Camas rents and has a wide variety from which to try. The caveat is that you need to purchase the ammo for the rental from them.

I had to look for a bit to find something I was comfortable with. I have small hands, and most were just too big for me to be comfortable with. I figured it really wouldn't do me much good if I couldn't control it. I decided on the Sig P238, and I really like it. This is the first gun I've ever owned. I've not had the opportunity to practice much with it, but the few times I have, I really like it. I also recently bought a Ruger LC9-again because it was something that fit my hand really well, and wanted something with a bit of a bigger bite.

I'm doing research for my wife's first hand gun, it will be for conceal carry. She is 5'6" medium build, what would you suggest, what do you prefer? I've been leaning towards a .380 or 9mm semi auto but really want her to shoot a caliber that she can handle and enjoy. Lets hear your thoughts, and guys feel free to chime in as we'll.

Thanks,
OC

Ask your wife! Take her shooting. I had a very eye opening experience taking my wife shooting. She DOES NOT like Glocks, as she says the trigger safety pinches her finger. She prefers all steel guns, not polymer and would rather shoot a .40 S&W then a 9mm, for no better reason then she likes it more. Guns that feel great to me, that I shoot well and enjoy shooting are the exact opposite for her. I am an absolute believer in the idea that people should pick there owns means of defense.

Now granted, gun stores right now are strapped for selection, so maybe see if you can't get a group of people from NWFA to get together. At the very least she could try a variety of pistols. Toss a BBQ and easy up in a truck and give away burgers or brats as a thank you.

Ask your wife! Take her shooting. I had a very eye opening experience taking my wife shooting. She DOES NOT like Glocks, as she says the trigger safety pinches her finger. She prefers all steel guns, not polymer and would rather shoot a .40 S&W then a 9mm, for no better reason then she likes it more. Guns that feel great to me, that I shoot well and enjoy shooting are the exact opposite for her. I am an absolute believer in the idea that people should pick there owns means of defense.

Now granted, gun stores right now are strapped for selection, so maybe see if you can't get a group of people from NWFA to get together. At the very least she could try a variety of pistols. Toss a BBQ and easy up in a truck and give away burgers or brats as a thank you.
I agree 100% she should pick her own hand gun and then go test is out at a range but let her pick it out.

My wife (5'6" 120lb) settled on the Ruger SP101 2in DAO. She went to a female only pistol class and tried a bunch of pistols and revolvers out. After that we went to a few shops and i just guided her away from no-name brands and obscure calibers. She liked the weight of the SP and can handle 38+p without any problems. She is 100% confident with the revolver and enjoys the simplicity over any semi.
Let her pick and best of luck!

S&W Airweight 442 or titanium Taurus 85 shaved hammer each about 14 ounces MT .38 cal. packs a punch for a small gun
My wife will tell me she is 5'2, maybe forty years ago!
Last weekend she put five plus five in the black mostly under 6'' each group rapid fire quick draw, eight to ten feet then twelve to fifteen feet.
Yes she was done and her hand hurt just a bit given the standard 158 grain. 38cal. loads.
Guess what we will be doing again this Saturday. Nope not golf. Practice practice practice.
She shoots tighter groups than me well she did last weekend- huff

Thanks,
OC

My wife stands about 5'6" and weighs about 120#s. She's been carrying for a very long time, a J frame Smith, a 1911 Officer's Model, and finally settling on a Kahr K9 or a PM9 depending on the weather. She carries Fed. 147 gr. HST in the K9 and Win. 147gr. RA9T in her PM9. We ran lots of tests before settling on these loads. She used to keep a 1911 loaded with Win. RA45T at her bedside, but now has Glock 17 with Fed. 147 HST

WifesCoronadoLeathersPurse.jpg

WifesFannyPack.jpg

JosK9Holster3.jpg

JoDrawing1.jpg

JoDrawing2.jpg

JoDrawing3.jpg

JoDrawing4.jpg

JosDecktarget.jpg

My wife carries an M&P 9c, IWB. She is 5'5", 130 or so.

She can pull off the gun most of the time. But if she tries to dress "trendy", then it prints too much.

I just picked up a Taurus G2 9mm compact this week for the wife...I was concerned at first about recoil but gun shoots very well and recoil is not bad at all...I know she is really happy with it

recoil isnt a problem for my wife but her fingers are short so double stack semi is a little wide practice takes care of recoil but her hand wont get bigger see what feels right first handgun Id go 9 or smaller.I was looking at getting mine a bersa thunder 380 she shoots 9 with outta hitch but i think she'd enjoy 380 plus 380 ammo still every where

I haven't personally shot a .380, can someone with first hand experience give me a good recoil comparison between a LCP or Bersa Thunder or the like and a sub compact 9mm. I have spoke with a local trainer who has guns for rent plus cost of ammo, I just want to try and decide which would be best to rent first since its going to run me about $40.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top