JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Precipitation and whatever other corrosive environmental conditions don't just land on external gun part surfaces and stay put. It drips, seeps and trickles its way into the inner mechanisms too. So, when a firearm is advertised as being stainless steel, I know the outside parts are stainless, but what about the inside parts like the trigger group, bolt parts, etc.? Whenever I've asked this question at gunshows, everyone I've asked basically has a shoulder shrug for answer. Maybe I've been asking the wrong people.

Is there such a thing as a stainless steel firearm that is entirely stainless steel?

Thanks in advance for the input.

"Click" doesn't go very far as a link.

Never mind the posting as I first wrote it above in italics. When I first opened your posting above, it only showed "click" in the text box.

Back to the point though, I can see where there might be a few wheel guns that are all stainless. I guess I should have been more specific. I'm on the lookout for .308's (AR-10 or M1a), 9mm's and tactical 12 gauges that are completely stainless. Thanks for the feedback though.

Is there such a thing as a stainless steel firearm that is entirely stainless steel?

Perhaps not in stainless but definitely ceramic coated. We make an AR-15 that has all internal parts coated as well. I have also done some 1911's, Beretta 92's, and S&W revolvers on the side. Just finished up an old H&R 922 revolver yesterday and it turned out nice. FWIW, my Kel Tec P3AT is ceramic coated also.

Several of the stainless S&W revolvers I've had have had either flash chromed or carbon steel parts on the interior. If you want a full stainless gun, chances are you'll either have to replace parts with stainless (like on a 1911) or have the entire gun coated, inside and out. Several options there. Ceramic coating like Taurus617CCW talked about is a great option. If you prefer to ship or prefer a chrome look, Robar in Arizona has some good coatings as well (such as the Np3, which looks like a brushed stainless).

My preference is for the performance of stainless in matte black or some other low glare color, so my preference is to have them coated...

Just out of curiosity. Is there a reason why manufacturers don't just make all the critical parts out of stainless when they advertise their guns to be "stainless"? It just seems to me that "stainless" should by default mean "100% stainless", rather than leaving it up to the buyer to seek out after-market treatments or parts to make it that way. It must be that there is such an additional difficulty in machining such small internal parts out of stainless that it would put a gun's production cost out of the market.

Just out of curiosity. Is there a reason why manufacturers don't just make all the critical parts out of stainless when they advertise their guns to be "stainless"? It just seems to me that "stainless" should by default mean "100% stainless", rather than leaving it up to the buyer to seek out after-market treatments or parts to make it that way. It must be that there is such an additional difficulty in machining such small internal parts out of stainless that it would put a gun's production cost out of the market.

Machining of stainless is a bit more difficult. Its harder on the tools and cutters...

There seems to be a commonly held belief that stainless guns are impervious to corrosion. Not true. They are only more resistant.

When Smith and Wesson came forth with their Model 60 (snub nose .38) in stainless (100%, in and out, except for the wood grips), an extensive test was documented in the 1967 Gun Digest.

In a 72-day test at 100% humidity at 112 degrees Farenheit, the gun showed extensive external rust, but with application of a brush and steel wool, the gun looked excellent, and the rusted lock screw required penetrating oit and force to move. (Functioning was perfect.)

In a Salt Spot Test, after 10 days of exposure (exterior only), the right side of the gun showed severe heavy red rust and deep pitting. With no application to the interior of the gun, the gun was inoperative.

The gun had not been immersed in, nor sprayed with salt water. Only a few grains of salt had been placed on its surface and the gun returned to the humidity chamber.

Their conclusion: "stainless...is just a bit more resistant than ordinary steel. If you carry the M60 along a tropical seashore, you are likely to have a rusted gun if you don't keep it clean and oiled. Care for it as you would any other valued gun."

Stainless Mini 14s are all stainless except for the tiny port donut and the springs, and the rear sight. I've had one of mine out in the forest for days on end in the rain with no rust. My gal neglected her M649 BUG for a few years and it did get a little rust inside the shroud area, I cleaned it right out in seconds

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top