JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Dear Rep. Komp,

I hope you are doing well and enjoying as peaceful a life as possible in this day and time. I'm writing because I have been following the legislative process pretty closely and I would like to convey my utter disdain concerning the "administrative" conduct that's been occurring this session.

First, as far as I can see the funding for education, although increased from last session is going to prove inadequate overall. A proposal was put forth by the "other side of the aisle" that was even more than the current passed budget, yet did not cause an increase in overall State spending by utilizing funds saved from cutting waste. It wasn't even given a hearing for consideration, and I will "wager the farm" that an "education funding crisis" is going to occur and a new/higher tax will get levied (on something) or the legislature will find a way to keep the tax kicker (which I suspect the primary objective).

Rep. Komp, how much (and when) is enough... enough? How big and invasive is too much? It seems to me some in government are never satisfied with "enough".... Spend more, tax more, spend more!

The second issue I've been watching in utter amazement concerns SB-941, the supposed "Oregon Firearms Safety Act". I hear politicians (Democrats in particular) go on about how vitally important a democracy is to society (although we're a Republic), and that it's the highest, most sacred form of government. Why is it that the sponsors of that bill have used the administrative maneuver of declaring it an "emergency" so it can't be referred to the people via the ballot measure initiative? Obviously that's a rhetorical question; it's because they don't want a possibility of it getting overturned by the people like that misguided law that was passed granting "driver cards" to illegal aliens. Besides the obvious futility of this proposed bill, this abuse of the "emergency clause" to circumvent any recourse to the people of Oregon is particularly irritating to me.

Rep. Komp, that conduct is not "democracy", it's tyranny. Are you going to be a party to that?

The sponsors (themselves) of this bill, and many an expert witness have said (or admitted) this bill will have no appreciable impact on preventing gun crime. It is already illegal for convicted felons, and otherwise restricted people from merely possessing a firearm and ammunition of any kind, is this going to make it "extra, extra" illegal? The tragic shooting at Clackamas Town Center was perpetrated with a stolen gun. The senseless killings in Valencia, Ca were perpetrated by that narcissistic, spoiled brat armed with a knife (who killed three that way), and shot others with a gun that he purchased after passing a background check. Rep. Gabby Giffords getting shot, the perpetrator passed a background check. The Aurora, CO movie theater shootings... again, legally purchased after a background check. The heart breaking murders at Sandy Hook Elementary, the weapons were stolen after the owner (his own mother!) was murdered for them.

My point? UBC's did nothing to prevent any of this, they never did and never will. Despite what some may think, you cannot legislate away evil, and you cannot legislate morality.

I pay pretty close attention to what people say, and how they say it. I keep hearing from "anti-gun" folks that SB941 is a good "first step" in "gun safety" legislation. What exactly does that mean? I'll wager it means that this is the foundation of gun registration, because many Oregon LEO's and Sheriffs have said if passed, this law would be unenforceable. Ultimately the State will have to have a record of who has what gun so it can be tracked among owners to enforce compliance. Not a single Woodburn police officer I've talked to thinks this bill is a good idea (yes, I know more than a few of Woodburn's finest).

I'm a law abiding and peaceful citizen. I've served 8 years in the Army and that service had some great and tragic personal costs, but I'd do it all over again if I had to. When (not if) the "next sensible step" is passed (that being gun registration) I will become an outlaw, because I will NOT comply. I pray to God that never occurs in my lifetime.

Rep. Komp, we've talked on my front porch one day when you were going door to door during an election cycle, I'm right behind the ******* ** ******* building on ****St. I honestly think you're a nice lady, and my friend ***distinguished local police detective*** thinks you're a nice lady (his opinion means a lot to me). You're supposed to represent the constituents in your district, not your political party, not the Senate President, not the Speaker of the House, not the Governor, and certainly not Michael Bloomberg and his merry band who have pumped "BIG MONEY" into this state to see their will be done. I cannot abide any further erosion of my country's liberties, I adjure you to vote NO on this devious legislation.

Rep. Komp, I can do like all the others have done recently and quote statistics and present rational arguments for and against, but I'm just going to firmly lay it out. I'm no political pundit, nor am I a member of any political party (they both stink on ice... no offense intended), I'm a patriot who's put his body where his mouth is with Army service, I'm a well paid union member of UA Local 290 (Steam Fitters, Plumbers, and Pipe Fitters), I'm genuine grass roots not "AstroTurf". As you may remember the historical events after the Colorado legislature voted in those useless "magazine bans" and a UBC they suffered key defeats in recall elections. You're probably also aware there is a growing movement to recall legislators Hoyle, Riley, and McLain who have either sponsored/endorsed and/or already voted for SB941. I am financially donating (generously) to those efforts and I'm prepared to personally file a form SEL350 with the Secretary of State's office to launch a recall in my district, (the day after) should my representative (you) vote for this underhanded piece of legislation. If it can happen in Colorado, we can make it happen here.

This is the year I have had enough of slimy politics and will start doing more than just "vote". I'm already angry about the shenanigans that are being pulled (and always have been) with education funding and holding our kids hostage to extort more money, that's strike one. If this legislation gets voted in with your complicity, that's strike two. Regretfully the third strike will be that you will remember my name, because I will put my personal life on hold and I will get enough signatures to force a recall election. Sens. Prosanski & Burdick and their abuse of declaring this bill an "emergency" have left us citizens no other recourse.

Please do what's right, be brave for Liberty over "Party" and vote no.

Ben Franklin-
They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Last Edited:
Send two. Put Education in the Subject of the one so it might get read. Nice touch the part about how you met her and how close you live. That might get her attention.
Next to guns Schools is the top issue for me. We've had a few recent problems in Springfield. Many politicians get their start on School boards and you can see why.

Good letter anyway, I wouldn't change a thing!

Good letter, you asked for input and personally speaking, I wouldn't make any words all capital letters and perhaps not use so many exclamation marks. Maybe lose the part about becoming an outlaw?

Good letter, you asked for input and personally speaking, I wouldn't make any words all capital letters and perhaps not use so many exclamation marks. Maybe lose the part about becoming an outlaw?

I agree "all caps" and exclamation points usage should be kept to bare minimums, it actually lessons the impact of the statement.... corrected.

As for becoming an outlaw? Given the context of the statement, I'm OK with that. ;)

Thanks!

Unfortunately your letter will never see the light of day in his office.

Consider telling him that democrats are like a cancer. If you leave a single one in office they will Metastasize and overwhelm the entire body.

Which, by the way, has happened in our once great state of Oregon!!!

Sheldon

I have never seen the democrat party as corrupt as they are today. At some point the people will have to hold them accountable.o_O

Great letter and I personally like the outlaw part. I would also mention that gun registration was outlawed as part of the gun control act of (GCA) 1986. Some federal code 18.136.something like that. I'm going from memory but I think its pretty close. Federal law supercedes state law so it could get messy to say the least.

At this stage I think the quantity of letters is more important than the quality.

A couple of quick lines opposing SB 941 or a 3 page essay, it's all good, just get those letters in, and quick!!!

So, does that mean you like the letter as-is? o_O

The letter was well written and had good points. I doubt they will ever read it because they have their agenda and that is all that matters to them. If I send a letter it will be much shorter and to one point, reminding them there are elections and they will be held accountable. I feel anything else is wasted words when you deal with such corruption.o_O

being paradoxical with SB 941: So when do "law abiding citizens get their civil rights restored" [I thought law abiding citizens did not have to have gover't interference on private matters--who should care if it is legal?]. CHL people have to go through this too ?

IMHO there are fascist driving this bill; these are not the democrats of my WW II parents!

Thanks for the input, folks! I filled in the redacted names and addresses and fired it off, complete with full name, address, and phone number where she can reach me if she so chooses.

Let's see if I get SWATTED and have my doors smashed in... LOL! :D

Thanks for the input, folks! I filled in the redacted names and addresses and fired it off, complete with full name, address, and phone number where she can reach me if she so chooses.

Let's see if I get SWATTED and have my doors smashed in... LOL! :D
Great letter !! If you only knew how many eastern Oregon people feel helpless because of the crapo s in Salem

Great letter !! If you only knew how many eastern Oregon people feel helpless because of the crapo s in Salem

You can help us by letting everyone you know about RecallChuckRiley.com and like/share Facebook.com/recallchuckriley. The more exposure we can get the better. Think of it like starting your own MLM and all your friends and their friends are all talking about it because you let them know about what we are trying to do.

Last Edited:
You can help us letting everyone you know about RecallChuckRiley.com and like/share Facebook.com/recallchuckriley. The more exposure we can get the better. Think of it like starting your own MLM and all your friends and their friends are all talking about it because you let them know about what we are trying to do.
Have and am doing that regulary

I understand what you are writing and how you feel and I agree.

However, in matters like this frankly you are better saying less.

They don't care about the law, right, justice, history, your feelings or any rational thought.

They care about money and power which in the end are one and the same.

If you tell them that you are going to work day and night to get her out of office and to cut off her money supplies, she is more likely to listen. Tell her you are getting your friends and neighbors to vote against her. That you are organizing and that you are going to push for a recall. Make it about costing her money and votes. That is all that matters in the end.

Last night I forwarded the email to Oregon Firearms Federation. I also asked if they'd be willing to help out with advice in navigating the waters to get a recall movement going should Betty Komp got for this crap.

Hopefully I'll hear back from them!

Well, I just got off the phone with the Secretary of State's office in the elections division. The first thing she asked me is, "are you going to recall Betty Komp?" I replied that only if I had to and that it depended on entirely on her.

I suspect the first thing the lady is going to do is call my representative and inform her that I was inquiring about how many votes were cast for governor in her district. This is definitely going to lend some credence to the email I sent her. It also could mean I get audited by the state of Oregon, LOL!

Bring it! :mad:

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR