JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Ok, at the moment I do not have a car so transporting a long gun is a problem. Now the question is, if I go into a shop and buy a gun. After passing the check and paying for it, can the firearm be legally shipped to my house?

Yep, long guns can be shipped within state borders without going through an FFL. I do not remember correctly about shipping through USPS, but I know that you can do so through FedEx or UPS. Best of luck to you.

you can ship it to yourself... OR

an FFL can ship it to the owner if he received it for repair/other work... so technically they should be able to... the question is will they...

ask them first but there is precedent to make it legally possible

You can ship a long by usps in state to yourself. You can ship interstate via usps anywhere in the U.S. if you are shipping it to yourself. If you are shipping to anyone else you have to go through a FFL.

You can also ship To the Mfg., if say the long gun needs warrenty repair. However, that Usually requires a notification to them.

For instance, NEF sells Single shot rifles, and they have a "alternate" barrel sales shop. You contact them, ask if they have "what you want, barrel" and set up the shipping.

They say it must be factory fitted, the new barrel, that is. So off it goes, to a "no gun name" address, and all is fine. Insurance on, it, of course.

Warrenty work other than barrel program is also done that way, however, if you say, "while you are installing the new barrel, that trigger is also a bit rough," they will smith that for you, no charge.

HTH,

philip,
in the Boon Docks, loves his NEF synthetic stock, but wants a 45Colt Bbl for it. Big Bang, nice Bang, little Bucks, both $$$$ and deer. :D

You can ship a long by usps in state to yourself. You can ship interstate via usps anywhere in the U.S. if you are shipping it to yourself. If you are shipping to anyone else you have to go through a FFL.

Not exactly accurate. The following is from the BATFE in their FAQ section:

Q: May a nonlicensee ship a firearm through the U.S. Postal Service?
A nonlicensee may not transfer a firearm to a non-licensed resident of another State. A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. The Postal Service recommends that long guns be sent by registered mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms. Handguns are not mailable. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun.
[18 U.S.C. 1715, 922(a)(3), 922(a)(5) and 922 (a)(2)(A)]

Note the part that says a nonlicensee can mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of the same state.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top