JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
It holds promise. I just received my ground axis venison from Texas this afternoon by the UPS man at my front door. It was packed in styrofoam cooler with a gel freezer ice pack, like blue ice inside. Five pounds. nearly $100 with overnight shipping. I put four pounds in the chest freezer and thawed the fifth pack of meat. It was browned in a skillet over medium heat with about 3 tablespoons of rendered beef tallow. It was seasoned with black pepper, onion powder and garlic salt. I stirred in some pizza sauce to the meat like I do with 7%-fat ground beef. The pizza was made with a thin Chicago crust, Contindina bottled pizza sauce, canned anchovies, sliced italian dry salami, shredded mozzarella cheese, canned mushrooms, canned pitted black olives, sliced and my ground venison pizza sauce blend on the very top. Baked in oven at 420 degrees for 12 minutes. The venison as it was browned in skillet had an odor somewhere between lamb and beef. It had a slight blood taste half-way through cooking but the taste improved as it got more browned. It has a somewhat smoky/spicy taste in contrast to beef. It certainly tastes much better than that young CA blacktail buck my brother shot five years ago with acorns in its belly.

It should be quite good in pasta sauce, Mexican food, chili and other Italian spiced foods. I'm going to try it in stroganoff as well.

I might even try venison patties for deer burgers. Would it be good on a diablo, bacon double cheese or cowboy burger?

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews